It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cannot clone
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:34 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Im trying to clone some dots on the right to the left where the pink line is. I cant. The clone tool doesnt start until i have drug it like i dont know an inch away from there then it starts working? I dont get it.

Attachments:
cant clone.xcf [496.33 KiB]
Downloaded 79 times
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: cannot clone
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:22 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

It is because the dots effect is a combination of the background layer and the lace overlay. What you should really do is erase the solid white lace areas first before cloning, however you can clone in the lace dots + background if you enable Sample merged in the clone tool options. Clone tool Alignment = None Try a fuzzy brush. example https://i.imgur.com/mygPdMe.mp4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:42 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
It is because the dots effect is a combination of the background layer and the lace overlay. What you should really do is erase the solid white lace areas first before cloning, however you can clone in the lace dots + background if you enable Sample merged in the clone tool options. Clone tool Alignment = None Try a fuzzy brush. example https://i.imgur.com/mygPdMe.mp4

Wow, thank you so very much! i watched your video. i dont believe i have ever been to that site before, i was a bit confused, lol. and my security wouldnt play it, well it would once i clicked on it. Thats new for me too, lol. i will watch it again in the am, as its very late. I did not realize that it was cloning everything under the spot. But why did it start so far away from the pink line? instead of where i was trying to clone the dots. I just need to hide that seam there better, and using the dots seemed the best way at the time.

thank you again. :tyspin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:44 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:

I DID IT I DID IT IDID IT, LOL. Took several tries, i kept missing that first part to not merge on the other layers? at the start? well i guess that why it finally worked. I dont really know, lol. Thanks again.

update: ok, i couldnt make it work on the original, or i guess i did, and it was picking up the white background. I understand its merging in the background color, and thats not what i wanted. =) I just want to clone the dots, from the one to the other, so the holes in each are transparent, like they are in the original im cloning from. Not sure why i cant just clone those over. I cloned some other images, and it worked fine. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:23 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

iti wrote:
rich2005 wrote:

I DID IT I DID IT IDID IT, LOL. Took several tries, i kept missing that first part to not merge on the other layers? at the start? well i guess that why it finally worked. I dont really know, lol. Thanks again.

update: ok, i couldnt make it work on the original, or i guess i did, and it was picking up the white background. I understand its merging in the background color, and thats not what i wanted. =) I just want to clone the dots, from the one to the other, so the holes in each are transparent, like they are in the original im cloning from. Not sure why i cant just clone those over. I cloned some other images, and it worked fine. Thanks again.

The source area "dots" are holes in the lace, they are transparent surrounded by white. You are copying that to a white area. Cloning does not increase transparency so you just end up adding white to white.

If you clone to a transparent area you will see the lace as expected. So one option is the first thing rich2005 suggests in post #2 "erase the solid white lace areas first before cloning".

Or you could copy the fill in lace to a separate layer, position it and then erase the unwanted bits in the original layer and the fill in layer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:03 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

teapot wrote:
iti wrote:
rich2005 wrote:

The source area "dots" are holes in the lace, they are transparent surrounded by white. You are copying that to a white area. Cloning does not increase transparency so you just end up adding white to white.

If you clone to a transparent area you will see the lace as expected. So one option is the first thing rich2005 suggests in post #2 "erase the solid white lace areas first before cloning".

Or you could copy the fill in lace to a separate layer, position it and then erase the unwanted bits in the original layer and the fill in layer.

yes, i started to do the last one, and in frustration, quit, lol. Printed it out and will then put lace around it and photocopy it, i guess. But clone should clone, not add, if you understand? Its adding, making the white darker, it should replace what is under it with the new cloned image. I do that all the time, or used to, lol. in the old old old photodraw that came with windows way back when. i love that software, but with each new win update, it gets more difficult to use, er it crashes. Have to run it now as administrator to even get it to open, lol.

I could load it up on my other drive and use it but its a different file system lol. and its a pain to restart into the other drive, use it, save and restart the newest win, well not the newest one, it has so many challenges :roll: .

Ok well thank you , i guess gimp clone doesnt work correctly either. it overwrites instead of replaces, or something. I did think about doing your first example, and started to, but was trying to use a copy of the cloned, and paint that copy to the map, lol and i realized that was all wrong, lol. I was tired, and just stopped before my head imploded. Thank you very much