It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brushes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:04 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

At the top of the brush window is a menu called 'filters' at the bottom of the window is a menu called 'enter tags'

HOW DO YOU USE THESE TWO OPTIONS TOGETHER, OR HOW DO YOU GET YOUR BRUSHES TO APPEAR IN THE WINDOW TO USE THEM?

Now i have lost all my brushes, lol. Well you know they arent lost just not available to select in the window. I dont understand it at all. I googled the brush tool and all just tell how to use a brush, you know, size etc. Or there are the 1000's that tell you have to install or make new brushes.

But how do you see them in THAT window!

thank you

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Brushes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:43 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Been messing with tags :) For a brush it might look like this

Attachment:
tags.jpg
tags.jpg [ 65.62 KiB | Viewed 1431 times ]

Click in the top area, and delete whatever is there, that should get everything back.

Individual brushes are assigned tags using the bottom area and that category appears in the top area when you click the drop down arrow. A quick animation of that https://i.imgur.com/m7gFRDX.mp4

The Gimp docs are here: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tagging.html

If you want to start afresh:
Go to your gimp profile and delete the file tags.xml
Gimp will create a new default file next start up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:44 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:

Attachment:
tags.jpg

Click in the top area, and delete whatever is there, that should get everything back.

Individual brushes are assigned tags using the bottom area and that category appears in the top area when you click the drop down arrow. A quick animation of that https://i.imgur.com/m7gFRDX.mp4

Hmm, thank you. I wasnt able to delete them, like you did 'mine' So i deleted the file. Its just loading now, i think i deleted the wrong one under share, lol. and found the one under my user account and deleted it. Not sure if that is 'my profile' i think it is.

So i was creating tags, and didnt realize it. I do remember when reading about the window there was a spot that said something about more info on tags, but i didnt think that i was making tags. so didnt read it. I will read it tonight when i get back.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:53 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:

Attachment:
The attachment tags.jpg is no longer available

They are all still there, and my head is about to implode!

Attachments:
brushes top.JPG
brushes top.JPG [ 40.68 KiB | Viewed 1391 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:32 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:

!!BANG!! no sympathy, you went over the top and installed a load of extra brushes that you will probably never use.

Works like this, I said

That scans the default brushes folder
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\brushes
and your user profile
C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\brushes

..and all those entries are the folders containing the brushes.

Click on one of those to filter just the brushes in the folder. What you really need is a resources manager, but that needs explaining (by someone else).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:37 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Quote:

!!BANG!! no sympathy, you went over the top and installed a load of extra brushes that you will probably never use.

Works like this, I said

That scans the default brushes folder
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\brushes
and your user profile
C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\brushes

..and all those entries are the folders containing the brushes.

Click on one of those to filter just the brushes in the folder. What you really need is a resources manager, but that needs explaining (by someone else).

lol actually i use all those brushes. i have my brushes set up in folders for certain type of work, so i can get to them quickly. I create many different styles images!

I did delete the tags.xml from the shared, and from the user roaming. Opened gimp to find them all still there.

you can see the folder is empty, also, after starting gimp again, it did not create a new tag.xml, so im not sure where its pulling that info from.

Also, please note: you can type anything in the filter there and delete it, you cannot delete from the list that is already there! You dont understand this like you think you do. lol. Just FYI.

Here's hoping someone actually knows how this works, i will be putting those folders back in place. thank you

Attachments:
tags empty.JPG
tags empty.JPG [ 33.7 KiB | Viewed 1380 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:00 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Where did I say tags folder ? quote Go to your gimp profile and delete the file tags.xml

Attachment:
xml.jpg
xml.jpg [ 131.85 KiB | Viewed 1366 times ]

For information Gimp will make defaults based on folder name, both from installation and user Profile.

Attachment:
folders.jpg
folders.jpg [ 93.83 KiB | Viewed 1366 times ]

How to navigate.
(1) The user installed brushes (2) The active brush shows tag from folder name.
(3) Click on filter to ...err....filter
(4) Any brush not in a folder, example the PS .abr brush, does not have a tag. Clear the filter area (5) to show all brushes.

Attachment:
tags.jpg
tags.jpg [ 167.54 KiB | Viewed 1366 times ]

Quote:
Also, please note: you can type anything in the filter there and delete it, you cannot delete from the list that is already there! You dont understand this like you think you do. lol. Just FYI.

Yes, you really do need to learn ...everything.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:45 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Where did I say tags folder ? quote Go to your gimp profile and delete the file tags.xml

Attachment:
xml.jpg

For information Gimp will make defaults based on folder name, both from installation and user Profile.

Attachment:
folders.jpg

How to navigate.
(1) The user installed brushes (2) The active brush shows tag from folder name.
(3) Click on filter to ...err....filter
(4) Any brush not in a folder, example the PS .abr brush, does not have a tag. Clear the filter area (5) to show all brushes.

Attachment:
tags.jpg

Quote:

Yes, you really do need to learn ...everything.

"f you want to start afresh:
Gimp will create a new default file next start up."

I DID DELETE IT FROM USER PROFILE!!!! SEVERAL TIMES, GIMP RESTORES IT, INCLUDLING ALL THE DATA THAT WAS IN THE PREVIOUS FILE. I DELETED IT, AND THEN DID THE RECYCLE, THEN I SHUT DOWN MY COMPUTER AND THEN STARTED GIMP A NEW, AND IT JUST BUILT THE SAME DAMN FILE AGAIN. LOL. ITS STORING ALL THAT DATA SOMEPLACE OTHER THAN IN THE TAG FILE.

To delete the tags, you have to click the brush, then click the tag it has and hit delete, after you have done that a kazillion times and delete all the brushes that have that tag, the tag will delete. Thats in the docs, bottom of the page.

Not sure what you are trying to explain with the 1, 2, 3 up there. Oh i read it again. You are trying to explain how it works the filters and the edit window.