It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Docks are imposible to place in "standard mode"
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:26 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Yes , sorry to say - but we are creatures of habit (Well I am)

I like my interface (main window) to be set up like describe and shown in the Gimp Docs
Please See attached no. 1: "single-window.png" (sorry cannot post a url OR "img" cause "I'm a new user")
So we are talking Single Window Mode and please pay attention on dock 4 and particularly dock 5 on the right side

But I got this when I for some time ago updated Gimp
Please See attached no. 2: "New standard mode.jpg"
The "Layer" dock no. 4 is now at the bottom and Dock 5 is at the top compared to the usual "standard layout"

When I try to rearrange, I loose the dock at the the bottom in the right corner and are left back with only ONE big right dock
Then I can make a "hang-loose" dock and but it on where I like it to be - but you know its not the same - see:
Please See attached no. 3: "My Workaround.jpg"

How can I get back the two docks on the right side (without reset all setting)?

Attachments:
single-window.png
single-window.png [ 704.5 KiB | Viewed 1500 times ]
New standard mode.jpg
New standard mode.jpg [ 101.52 KiB | Viewed 1500 times ]
My Workaround.jpg
My Workaround.jpg [ 59 KiB | Viewed 1500 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Docks are imposible to place in "standard mode"
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:33 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
You could try to reset the window positions.

Navigate to: EditPreferencesWindow Management.
Click the button for Reset Saved Window Positions to Default Values.
Click Ok.
Close the Preferences dialog and restart GIMP.
To see if this helps.

Attachment:
Screenshot (86).png
Screenshot (86).png [ 278.58 KiB | Viewed 1459 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:53 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

I would definitely go with Wallace's suggestion too as there is something wrong there. in the 'new layout' you have the layers toobar down the bottom under the brushes box. The toolbars should be under each box. Unless rich knows of an easier way.
Make sure once you do get all the windows in the correct positions that you check the box 'Save window positions', in the preferences area.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:52 am  (#4) 

Thanks for your reply - I must say I had thought a bit about the same solution :hi5
Sorry for the delay for my answer - A mini vacation got in the way :hehe

So the question was if you could do something without resetting - Otherwise - it's a kind of problem that you can't come back without resettin.
I think that the developers might have to pay attention to this - As (I) said before: Especially for new users to Gimp, it must be frustrating that you can pretty quickly smash / mess the whole interface up and then you cannot really find the logic to get it back again, without resetting all ;(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:04 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

One problem is some Windows users find difficulty click-and-drag the tabs around. Typically using a high-definition (4k) display.

Then without information, when it comes to giving advice, reverting to fail-safe basics is the best course. You have no idea how annoying the 'it-does-not-work ' response is, when it really is 'I-can-not-get-it-to-work'.

From your third graphic it looks like you have detached the brushes, etc leaving a floating dock (I can see the close button ;) ) placed over a long layers dock. Easy enough to drag a tab down to the bottom of the layers dock to split it. Then drag (or open) other tabs to make the required layout. Next is into Preferences and fix the Gimp windows.
I can show that in 30 seconds https://i.imgur.com/CJPkxpT.mp4

When it comes to the developers, there is certainly room for a beginners mode with just minimal docks Tools + Tool options and Layers/paths + Brushes /Patterns.
Finish off with reversing the 'save-options-on-exit' which causes no end of 'why-is-this-not-working?' posts Why ? because that is the way you last used Gimp and you have forgotten the settings.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:38 am  (#6) 

Thanks#5
There - The solution came - and it was easy enough (especially when you know what to do ;) ) I could not figure it out - how I could make the long dock smaller (good idea to check ones spelling here :gaah ) - and did now I instead could subdivide it into two (like the way, you show)
Interesting thoughts we also got ;) and an insight into how frustrating it sometimes can be in the in the counseling machine room ;)