It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MyPaint brush preset problem
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:15 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.28
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
N/A

List any ERROR messages you received:
N/A

Hi all,
I've been using a MyPaint brush, and have tweaked the settings (Radius, Base Opacity, Hardness) to custom levels, which I want to save to a preset. Using the Tool Presets dialogue I have created a new preset, then saved the custom settings of the brush to it. This works fine whilst the program is active (if the parameters are altered then 'Restore Tool Preset' brings back the custom settings), but if I save the project and close GIMP as a program, on reopening the preset isn't saved. That is: the new preset is there in the Tool Presets dialogue, the specific MyPaintbrush used is saved, but the settings are back to default levels. If I read the actual .GTP file using 'Show in File Manager' from the Tool Presets dialogue, the custom settings wanted are actually saved there though, so somehow GIMP seems to be ignoring this. Any thoughts?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: MyPaint brush preset problem
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:57 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I think I know the reason:
Inactive functions (Edit,Duplicate,Delete) for Mypaint brush Issues #5223
Total lack of interest in solving the problem. :gaah
No response = No problem ???
Sometimes you have to wait many years - I'm not waiting anymore. :sleepkbd
You can add Your comments to mine or start a new submission. :text

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:03 pm  (#3) 

MareroQ wrote:
I think I know the reason:
Inactive functions (Edit,Duplicate,Delete) for Mypaint brush

Is it the same problem, I wonder? You're right, there is no way of editing/ duplicating/ deleting from the MyPaint brush selection dialogue, but from the Tool Presets dialogue some editing is possible- as is evidenced by the fact that any changes made can be seen on the actual .GTP preset, if it is read as a text file. The problem you highlighted is with accessing the MyPaint brush .myb file settings, whereas mine is with the .GTP preset file, if I've read right.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:05 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Solipsist303.
Yes - this is just a hypothesis - but logically it seems that an inactive module cannot accept (load) other startup parameters.
I have refreshed #5223.
Now, perhaps the only solution is to edit the brush in MyPaint and return to Gimp with it.

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:18 pm  (#5) 

MareroQ,
I've had a look at your linked post on the Issues page over on the Dev site, and the answer given there (editing MyPaint brushes currently not possible), seems to cover both our problems, even if they remain unresolved. Still baffled as to how or why any values get saved to a preset file if they are inoperative, but there you go. At least it seems to have prompted a response! And yes, editing in MyPaint and then importing into GIMP seems to be the only solution.

ps I've been messing around with the prog lately, and discovered that
Edit> Preferences> Folders> MyPaint Brushes
and then ticking any 'writable' check boxes there enables usage of the 'Delete' button in the 'MyPaint Brushes' dialogue. The smallest of victories.