It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp tries to save a composed image to windows system32 by default
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:16 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.10.22
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: Experienced User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
plug-in-compose

Hello, I'm using the decompose/compose procedure a lot in my workflow and whenever I try to save or export the new composed image, the default folder it suggests is windows system32 folder. This is an issue because that folder is huge and because of this it takes forever to load the dialogue window. Is there any way to change this default save location to for example my documents?

I'm guessing maybe that compose plugin saves the new image it creates to a temporary location somewhere in system32 and this is why it becomes the default for saving? I'd prefer making changes to the settings files instead of modifying the plugin if at all possible, so this would solve the issue with any plugins.

Is there an easy way to set a fixed path to be the default save/export location? So it would always suggest that location regardless of where the previous save was made.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Bookmark preferred folder to save or export
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:03 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hello
You are right about avoiding to save anything in the C:\Windows\System32 :yesnod because it requires admin rights. :geek:

However exporting or saving a picture in a wished folder is not particularly related to the plug-in-compose.

Attachment:
bookmark.png
bookmark.png [ 157.3 KiB | Viewed 1293 times ]

Setting a fixed path to be the default save/export location can be done by:
  • drag your wished folder from the Windows File Manager;
  • drop to the Export or Save dialog box in the bottom of the left pane inside the bookmark area.
  • Click the wished bookmark before clicking Export or Save :coolthup

2.9. Save as… in docs.gimp 2.10 wrote:
The left panel is divided into two parts.
  • The upper part lists your main directories and your storage devices; you cannot modify this list.
  • The lower part lists your bookmarks; you can add or remove bookmarks.
    • To add a bookmark, select a directory or a file in the middle panel and click on the Add button at the bottom of the left panel.
      You can also use the Add to bookmarks command in the context menu, which you get by clicking the right mouse button.
    • You can delete a bookmark by selecting it and clicking on the Remove button.