It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roller Plugin fails when trying to run it
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:54 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.22
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
Roller 1.43

List any ERROR messages you received:
Roller Warning: IndexError('list index out of range'.)

The updated version of Roller fails when trying to run it. I thought I had installed it correctly, but maybe not. Anyway, any help would be great.

Mackenzie

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Roller Plugin fails when trying to run it
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:22 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

You can ask Tim @ gimplearn.net if you want, he created the plugin. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:29 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Pocholo wrote:
You can ask Tim @ gimplearn.net if you want, he created the plugin. :)

Pocholo, Tim isn't the creator of Roller, Charles is. This is his plugin: https://www.gimpscripts.net/search?q=Roller

I have posted in the Templates post about his plugin which I created but I haven't received a reply.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:55 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry, my bad! I think the last time Charles was at gimplearn was last week, and he posted a result. You might want to go there and ask him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:31 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

If the author does not give an answer, I will provide my solution soon (I delay - because it's a bit strange - but it works).

Attachments:
Roler-1.43.png
Roler-1.43.png [ 85.41 KiB | Viewed 3989 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:40 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

MareroQ wrote:
If the author does not give an answer, I will provide my solution soon (I delay - because it's a bit strange - but it works).

Thanks MareroQ. I posted the problem here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18883&start=20 (post #24)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:49 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh,
If Roller dies on start, then it is probably trying to load the 'last used' settings and failing.
If you delete the "last used" file, the plug-in will open with the default settings. You are on Windows right?

The "last used" session file is in this location on my computer. You'll want to change 'Charles' with your user-name.

On Windows:
C:\Users\Charles\AppData\Local\GIMP\Roller\Session

Roller or GIMP won't complain if Roller preset files are deleted.
:hexer
Charles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:31 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

gasMask wrote:
mackenzieh,
If Roller dies on start, then it is probably trying to load the 'last used' settings and failing.
If you delete the "last used" file, the plug-in will open with the default settings. You are on Windows right?

The "last used" session file is in this location on my computer. You'll want to change 'Charles' with your user-name.

On Windows:
C:\Users\Charles\AppData\Local\GIMP\Roller\Session

Roller or GIMP won't complain if Roller preset files are deleted.
:hexer
Charles

Yes Charles I am using Windows. I will try Roller again. I deleted the last used file, so hopefully this will work.

EDIT: Charles, I deleted the "last used" session file and I still received the same error when I ran the plugin.

Something else is wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:46 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh,
Unfortunately, GIMP is not always forth-coming with its error messages.

Could you try renaming the preset folder? The folder is named "Roller" (to "Roller1").

If that doesn't work, try running Roller without any images opened.

Charles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:40 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

gasMask wrote:
mackenzieh,
Unfortunately, GIMP is not always forth-coming with its error messages.

Could you try renaming the preset folder? The folder is named "Roller" (to "Roller1").

If that doesn't work, try running Roller without any images opened.

Charles

Charles, I have tried running Roller without any images open and I still received the same error.

I also renamed the preset folder and I received this error when I ran the plugin:

Neither remedy has worked. Something else is wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:02 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh,
That's a different error. So that's some progress. Would you mind deleting the Roller.py file and the roller folder? This would be the first step in a clean install. The next step would be to copy the Roller.py and roller folder back to the GIMP plug-in folder using the 1.43 downloaded version. What version of GIMP are you running?

Charles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:31 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I am running Gimp 2.10.22. I'm deleting it now from GIMP and my plugin folder.

Charles, I tried what you suggested and received the very first error I had posted earlier. I then placed the Roller.py plugin in the folder and this is what I get when I open gimp to preferences:

Something is definitely wrong with the plugin. It either doesn't show up properly or when it does show up and I run it, it throws errors.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:02 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh,
I am unable to help you without additional information to go on.

In my experience, I've seen a pattern resource file give GIMP problems to the extent where Roller wouldn't load. Roller creates a list of patterns when loading. To fix this problem, I had to remove the pattern files that I had installed to get Roller to load again when GIMP started.

I will have look closer into that problem because it certainly could be related. However, I'm working on version 2.0 right now, so a possible future fixed version is going take some time.

Is there a version of Roller that you are able to run? You can always get the older versions off of my github page. That page is listed in my profile.
:bawl
Charles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:13 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

gasMask wrote:
mackenzieh,
I am unable to help you without additional information to go on.

In my experience, I've seen a pattern resource file give GIMP problems to the extent where Roller wouldn't load. Roller creates a list of patterns when loading. To fix this problem, I had to remove the pattern files that I had installed to get Roller to load again when GIMP started.

I will have look closer into that problem because it certainly could be related. However, I'm working on version 2.0 right now, so a possible future fixed version is going take some time.

Is there a version of Roller that you are able to run? You can always get the older versions off of my github page. That page is listed in my profile.
:bawl
Charles

Charles, the last version of Roller, I had was 1.34 and it ran just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:26 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh,
In the image of the plug-in folder, it looks like Roller has been installed incorrectly. I believe that the roller folder should not be listed nor should it be attached to the Valentine card folder's listing. This attachment points to a corruption issue (of GIMP data).

Roller doesn't register it's 'roller' folder with GIMP, so GIMP should be ignoring the 'roller' folder. At least that is what GIMP does on my machine.

I don't know what would happen if you try the "Reset plug-in Folders" option, or, perhaps better, used the "X" button to remove roller entry. Theoretically, GIMP will rebuild the folders, but I don't know.

Perhaps my understanding of GIMP is in error as well. Did you manually add the roller folder to the plug-in folder's listing? I am befuddled.

Charles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:36 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh,
I don't any other plug-ins installed on my development machine. Here is how the plug-ins folder looks like inside preferences:
Attachment:
plug-in-folder-on-my-machine.jpg
plug-in-folder-on-my-machine.jpg [ 194.08 KiB | Viewed 3113 times ]

In my experience, Roller has never added a folder to GIMP's plug-in folder listing.

Charles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:44 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

gasMask wrote:
mackenzieh,
In the image of the plug-in folder, it looks like Roller has been installed incorrectly. I believe that the roller folder should not be listed nor should it be attached to the Valentine card folder's listing. This attachment points to a corruption issue (of GIMP data).

Roller doesn't register it's 'roller' folder with GIMP, so GIMP should be ignoring the 'roller' folder. At least that is what GIMP does on my machine.

I don't know what would happen if you try the "Reset plug-in Folders" option, or, perhaps better, used the "X" button to remove roller entry. Theoretically, GIMP will rebuild the folders, but I don't know.

Perhaps my understanding of GIMP is in error as well. Did you manually add the roller folder to the plug-in folder's listing? I am befuddled.

Charles

I also manually added the Roller folder for 1.43 and it still threw an error. This is the only plugin it happens to. I think it could be because of all the plugins in the Roller folder. For me, Gimp recognizes files in a folder. With the Roller folder, it will recognize the .py files in the folder, but not roller.py which is outside of the folder.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:35 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh,
The 'roller' folder is not a plug-ins folder. If the 'roller' folder is listed in the plug-in's list, when GIMP is started, it will scan the 'roller' folder looking for plug-ins. When this happens, GIMP will find a host of files that it believes are GIMP plug-ins but which are actually Roller modules.

I would delete the roller entry in the plug-in list, and then add the Valentine day folder back afterwards.

Charles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:56 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh,
It looks like you create folders for your plug-ins, is that right? If you are doing it that way, then the 'Roller.py' file would be in the root folder that is listed in the plug-in listing, and not the 'roller' folder that "Roller.py" accesses.

When I've installed plug-ins, I just dump them in the Roaming plug-in folder, as it is already listed in the preferences.

Charles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:21 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

gasMask wrote:
mackenzieh,
The 'roller' folder is not a plug-ins folder. If the 'roller' folder is listed in the plug-in's list, when GIMP is started, it will scan the 'roller' folder looking for plug-ins. When this happens, GIMP will find a host of files that it believes are GIMP plug-ins but which are actually Roller modules.

I would delete the roller entry in the plug-in list, and then add the Valentine day folder back afterwards.

Charles

If the Roller folder isn't a plug-ins folder, then why is that the only way, Roller will show up in Gimp? Those plugins show up with in the folder, all but roller.py. If I added roller.py to the folder, it wouldn't show in gimp. To remedy that, I put roller.py in it's own folder to see if that works.