It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Selection pasting only transparency - single layer image [Solved]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:37 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 10
GIMP Experience: New User

I'm having trouble copying a selection and pasting it into a new file. It simply pastes either transparency or solid color (I think it's BG/FG) in the same shape of the selection but will not paste the actual image in the selection. It is a .png file, a still exported from Davinci Resolve.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Selection pasting only transparency - single layer image
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:58 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
athenavee wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 10
GIMP Experience: New User

I'm having trouble copying a selection and pasting it into a new file. It simply pastes either transparency or solid color (I think it's BG/FG) in the same shape of the selection but will not paste the actual image in the selection. It is a .png file, a still exported from Davinci Resolve.

Hello athenavee and welcome to Gimp Chat.
Have you checked that the "Selection Mode" is either set to "Replace Current Selection" or "Add To Current Selection"?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:07 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

Make sure that a layer is selected before "Edit > Copy" (or use "Edit > Copy visible"). From you description you seem to be copying a channel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:12 pm  (#4) 

ofnuts wrote:
Make sure that a layer is selected before "Edit > Copy" (or use "Edit > Copy visible"). From you description you seem to be copying a channel.

Aha! This worked! Thank you! I knew it would be something simple.