It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UI issues with UHD monitor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:21 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.30
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I've started working with GIMP on my laptop, with a UHD (3840 X 2160) monitor. The UI looks much different that on my desktop with a standard HD monitor. Not only is everything smaller (text, icons, handles, etc.) but the way checkboxes in the tool settings work is different, too.

I know how to change the icon sizes using Edit>Preferences>Interface>Icon Theme. Huge is big enough. But, this setting does not affect the icons in the tool settings. For example, in the Unified Transform tool, the 4 icons for the Transform mode (layer/selection/path/image) are still so small and close together that it takes extra time to maneuver the mouse over 1 versus another. The Foreground/Background color icon also stays small - it is almost impossible to select the "exchange" and default setting switches because they are so small. On the popup dialog for 3D Transform, the 3 buttons for switch to Camera/Move/Rotate are also extremely small, making it hard to select the right one.

The handles on many tools are also very small, and the cursor is so small that it is very difficult to see the icons that are associated with it.

The checkboxes in the tool settings are also very small.

I was able to change the text size by creating a custom theme and editing the 'gtkrc' file. This doesn't change the default size of any other UI elements, however.

Is there a way adjust the sizes of these UI elements without changing the resolution of the display?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: UI issues with UHD monitor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:03 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Here is something to try. Not sure if it will work, but it is something i'm looking forward to trying when i get a second 4k monitor to use.
Is the screen on the external monitor just a clone of the laptop screen? or can your system handle it as two independent monitors?
If they are two independent monitors, can you run them in two different resolutions? and put the menus on one and the image window on the high resolution screen?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:44 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Check this plugin from my GIMP coder partner MareroQ. Download it and let us know how it work out for you. menus and dropdowns too small

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:19 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Pocholo:
I tried the plug-in. It changes the icon sizes, although it is limited to 30 pixels, which is the same as 'Huge'. But it did increase the size of the icons for the Transform modes which helped a bit.

The Foreground/Background color icon size is not changed, so the swap option is still very hard to click on. And, the check boxes in the tool settings are still very tiny.

So some help, but it doesn't cover all the UI elements I want to change.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:17 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

fruno wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.10.30
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I've started working with GIMP on my laptop, with a UHD (3840 X 2160) monitor. The UI looks much different that on my desktop with a standard HD monitor. Not only is everything smaller (text, icons, handles, etc.) but the way checkboxes in the tool settings work is different, too.

I know how to change the icon sizes using Edit>Preferences>Interface>Icon Theme. Huge is big enough. But, this setting does not affect the icons in the tool settings. For example, in the Unified Transform tool, the 4 icons for the Transform mode (layer/selection/path/image) are still so small and close together that it takes extra time to maneuver the mouse over 1 versus another. The Foreground/Background color icon also stays small - it is almost impossible to select the "exchange" and default setting switches because they are so small. On the popup dialog for 3D Transform, the 3 buttons for switch to Camera/Move/Rotate are also extremely small, making it hard to select the right one.

The handles on many tools are also very small, and the cursor is so small that it is very difficult to see the icons that are associated with it.

The checkboxes in the tool settings are also very small.

I was able to change the text size by creating a custom theme and editing the 'gtkrc' file. This doesn't change the default size of any other UI elements, however.

Is there a way adjust the sizes of these UI elements without changing the resolution of the display?

Have you tried changing themes?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:12 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Yes. The UI elements are all the same size in the default themes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:23 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

This is how mine looks with the huge Icon setting. How much bigger you want it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:17 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

It's not the size of the tool icons that I want to change. Or the text size. I can manage these. It's other UI elements. See the image below.
1. This is the Foreground/Background color icon. It's size doesn't change like the other tool icons. The swap icon in it's upper right corner is so small it's almost impossible to click with the mouse.
2. The 'Transform' options (Layer/Path/Selection/Image) in the Unified Transform tool (other tools have the same icons). Very small. They can be enlarged a bit using the plugin cited earlier.
3. Checkboxes in tool settings. Too small to see the X if selected and hard to locate with the mouse. With a light theme, the checked boxes are dark and unchecked boxes are light, which is counterintuitive.
4. Paint brushes picker - these icons are also very small.
5. In the Layers pane, Lock option icons. Also very small.
These are examples of the UI elements that are very small on my 15.4", 3840 x 2160 laptop screen. They look fine at 1920 x 1080 (resolution of my desktop screen). I'm looking for a way to adjust these types of UI elements.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:36 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Well on number 4 you can increase the size manually.
1. Go to the far right there is an arrow "Configure this tab" click and it's a dropdown
2. Find "Preview Size and choose your preferred size.

There is a conversation here for Kevin (Paynekj), for 2.8 but I believe it work for GIMP 2.10: Large size Icon themes

I don't believe the links for the folders are any good, so I uploaded the folder Color-48.
1. Open GIMP and "Unzip the folder and place the folder in your user GIMP Profile theme folder; C:\Users\User or YourName\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\themes
2. With GIMP open, go to; Edit> Preferences> Folder and add the directory: C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\themes\Color-48

Let us know if that change anything

Attachments:
Color-48.zip [2.8 MiB]
Downloaded 28 times

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:35 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the preview size tip for the brushes. That helped a lot.