It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Insane Bump Plugin for GIMP 2.10.32?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:14 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.32
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 11
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
Insane Bump Plugin

Hi everyone,
I am running GIMP 2.10.32 on Windows 11 and want to install the Insane Bump version 1.0.6 Plugin written in C language which is supposed to be compatible with GIMP 2.10. This version of the plugin was once available from https://gimper.net/resources/insane-bump.377 but it appears that the Gimper website no longer exists. I have searched for this plugin, but all attempts lead me to the old Python version of the plugin for GIMP 2.8. I have read that the GIMP 2.8 Insane Bump Plugin is not compatible with GIMP 2.10 versions. So, can anyone point me to where I can download the Insane Bump Plugin that is compatible with GIMP 2.10.32? I also require a User Guide or some sort of user instructions for this plugin.

Or, if this version of the plugin is no longer available, is there an alternative? Anyone have any other suggestions or advice? Thanks to anyone that can help!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Insane Bump Plugin for GIMP 2.10.32?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:36 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I had a look around for you but the plugin seems to be no more. However, there is an alternative called Awesome bump. You can get it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/awesomebump.mirror/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:38 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

There are some binaries here: https://sites.google.com/site/ccdsurgeon/download. Both 32 bit and as noted the Windows version does not work with Gimp 2.10 (at least not for me)

The code is here: https://github.com/kyokenn/gimp-plugin-insanebump
It is old but I must have compiled it some time for 64 bit linux Gimp 2.10
Maybe some kind Windows expert can make one.

Not paying attention.

InsaneBump 1.06 requested. I do have a Windows plugin in my archive (but no source code) . Zipped and attached. Unzip, put the two files in your plugins folder.

This Win10 / Gimp 2.10.32

Attachment:
106.jpg
106.jpg [ 148.91 KiB | Viewed 1937 times ]

Edit: Found the linux source code for version 1.0.6 Compiles easily (with lots of deprecated warnings) . In case anyone interested, the plugin attached.

Attachments:
insanebump-106--lin-64bit.zip [111.97 KiB]
Downloaded 164 times
InsaneBump-win-106.zip [58.7 KiB]
Downloaded 249 times

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:06 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I've had it working for a while on Gimp-2.10.32 with Windows 10 64. :)

Attachment:
Insane-Bump_RD-2022-09-09_045404.jpg
Insane-Bump_RD-2022-09-09_045404.jpg [ 337.65 KiB | Viewed 1933 times ]

This is an standalone version (portable) Win64 bit.

Thx for the heads up MareroQ. :bigthup .
Wondered why that big window kept popping up when Gimp loaded. :rofl
It was working for me in Gimp plugins folder though.

Attachments:
InsaneBump_Win64_RD.7z [2.32 MiB]
Downloaded 217 times

Last edited by Rod on Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:26 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

My sincere Thank You goes out to everyone that has responded to my request. Each response is valuable & very much appreciated.
Erisian - Thank you for the link to AwesomeBump. It appears to be an adequate substitute, and possibly even superior to Insane Bump in some ways. But the latest Windows version dated 3/1/2017 is for a 32-bit OS so, I decided to pass on it for now.
rich2005 & Rod – Thanks to both of you for the Insane Bump files. I decided I wanted to hold on to these files just in case I ever needed them again in the future. So, I started to look for a folder in my Documents>GIMP & guess what I found. The GIMP folder had a Downloads folder with a Plugins & Scripts folder. When I expanded the Plugins & Scripts folder, I found several folders with plugins apparently from the now retired GIMP Plugin Registry. They must have been installed with GIMP because I didn’t put them there. Anyway, there was a folder for Insane Bump which included the zip files & an HTML file. The HTML file contained a description & very basic installation & use instructions. At first glance, it appeared that this was the plugin for GIMP 2.8. But after reading between the lines, I discovered this was the C Language version so, I installed it &, so far at least, it seems to be performing as advertised.
Now all I need to do is find more detailed use instructions. Thanks again to you all!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:34 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Falcon459 wrote:
My sincere Thank You goes out to everyone that has responded to my request. Each response is valuable & very much appreciated.
Erisian - Thank you for the link to AwesomeBump. It appears to be an adequate substitute, and possibly even superior to Insane Bump in some ways. But the latest Windows version dated 3/1/2017 is for a 32-bit OS so, I decided to pass on it for now.
rich2005 & Rod – Thanks to both of you for the Insane Bump files. I decided I wanted to hold on to these files just in case I ever needed them again in the future. So, I started to look for a folder in my Documents>GIMP & guess what I found. The GIMP folder had a Downloads folder with a Plugins & Scripts folder. When I expanded the Plugins & Scripts folder, I found several folders with plugins apparently from the now retired GIMP Plugin Registry. They must have been installed with GIMP because I didn’t put them there. Anyway, there was a folder for Insane Bump which included the zip files & an HTML file. The HTML file contained a description & very basic installation & use instructions. At first glance, it appeared that this was the plugin for GIMP 2.8. But after reading between the lines, I discovered this was the C Language version so, I installed it &, so far at least, it seems to be performing as advertised.
Now all I need to do is find more detailed use instructions. Thanks again to you all!

Glad to be of help. :bigthup