It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aligning Text on a Circle Path
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:39 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.30
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: Mojave
GIMP Experience: New User

I post this a new forum user and hope my solution in aligning text to a circle path may assists other users.

I have solved by trial and error text placement (alignment) on a circle path.

It seems that if the text box space is expanded below the text this makes the text stick on the path at the top (outside) of the circle path.

If more space is added below the text in the text box it sticks further above outside of the circle path.

Equal space above and below the text in the text box places the text along the middle of the path.

I can also place the text on the inside of the circle path by adjusting the text box lower control up and into the text (covering the lower part of the text.

Depending how far the text box covers the text the text is placed inside the circle touching the path or offset inwards from the inside of the circle path line.

It will be interesting to learn if there are already functions (commands / tools etc) that simplify this method but this has worked for me as a new Gimp user and hope it may help others....Gimp 2.10.30

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Aligning Text on a Circle Path
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:05 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I'm wondering if changing the baseline of the text would affect the placement? Have you tried that?

Post subject: Re: Aligning Text on a Circle Path
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:55 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

See my ofn-text-along-path script. Plenty of options for formatting/positioning your text, including where the "guide path" is reative to letters (baseline, middle, top, and other)