It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP - my security software prevents it from loading - RESOLVED
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:47 pm  (#1) 
Global Moderator

GIMP Version: 2.10.32
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Experienced User

I have just had a close brush with 'cyber crime' as a result of which I have had to significantly upgrade my security software in regard to hacking/malware/ransomware.

Trouble is that the new security upgrade now intercepts and cancels GIMP 2.10.32 when I try to load it, "saying it has been terminated to prevent execution of malicious code". It seemed to be at the stage when GIMP was loading plug-ins.

I have downloaded and reinstalled GIMP but it makes no difference. Anybody else have this problem?

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP - my security software prevents it from loading
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:45 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I don't have that problem, I'm running Linux. I'm guessing your Windows security s/w doesn't like python scripts because they could be malicious. Whether or not they actually are is another question.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:57 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

oldmangrumpy wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.10.32
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Experienced User

I have just had a close brush with 'cyber crime' as a result of which I have had to significantly upgrade my security software in regard to hacking/malware/ransomware.

Trouble is that the new security upgrade now intercepts and cancels GIMP 2.10.32 when I try to load it, "saying it has been terminated to prevent execution of malicious code". It seemed to be at the stage when GIMP was loading plug-ins.

I have downloaded and reinstalled GIMP but it makes no difference. Anybody else have this problem?

Every security software has a list of byte sequences that they use to detect known malicious software. These list differ with publishers and versions... But usually these security packages have a way to un-quarantine and whitelist specific executables.

This said, I wouldn't be surprised that it triggers because it sees Gimp doing a web request to see if a new version is available. I which case you could have to give net access rights to Gimp to placate your security package.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:22 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

A work around for this problem:
Disconnect the network cable or wifi from your machine.
Switch off your anti-virus/security software.
Use Gimp.

The long term solution is take the plunge and learn to use a Linux operating system as racer-x advises. I promise you the time you spend will not be wasted. That's because Unix-type operating systems have used the same methods for decades rather than changing
them every few years to make the operating system seem new.

I've noticed people are frightened of Linux because they think they may not be smart enough to use it. Most computer issues have already been solved and are logged by search engines.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:40 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Tas_mania wrote:
A work around for this problem:
Disconnect the network cable or wifi from your machine.
Switch off your anti-virus/security software.
Use Gimp.

The long term solution is take the plunge and learn to use a Linux operating system as racer-x advises. I promise you the time you spend will not be wasted. That's because Unix-type operating systems have used the same methods for decades rather than changing
them every few years to make the operating system seem new.

I've noticed people are frightened of Linux because they think they may not be smart enough to use it. Most computer issues have already been solved and are logged by search engines.

Or a virtual machine with Linux installed.
This way you can still use that expensive windows software like i have.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:05 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Thanks all for your comments.

My normal software is AVG Anti Virus but on advice from my software guru, I have also downloaded HitmanPro Alert to clean up the machine and hopefully prevent further attacks from these cyber bullies. It is this latter software that does not like GIMP and as I have it only on a temp licence at present there is no white listing configuration available.

As for Linux, I did use it for 5 or 6 years on a laptop on my home network till that machine died.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:55 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Have now found a way to flag GIMP and allow it to run as normal. Thanks all for your input.