It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: installing 2.8 plug-in to export multipage pdf
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:08 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.22
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: 10.15.7
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
export-layers-to-pdf.py

Hi GIMP folk,

So while I would love to be using GIMP 2.10 I am restricted to 2.8 due to my older OS, which I can't update because my computer is too old. I'm trying to figure out how to export my file to pdf with each layer on a separate page, which I hear is very easy in 2.10 but requires a plug-in for 2.8. I found what seems to be the correct plugin on GitHub (export-layers-to-pdf.py), and I found my plug-in folder, but when I try to copy the plug-in to the folder it replaces the folder instead, so I see the .py file listed where the folder used to be. I didn't try restarting GIMP with it like that because I was worried it would screw things up, so I just reset it.

I am very much a newbie on this type of forum so please let me know if there's any other information I need to provide to help this make sense.

If I can't make the plug-in work I was thinking of borrowing a family member's newer computer, downloading GIMP 2.10 and sending the .xcf file to myself to export from there..

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: installing 2.8 plug-in to export multipage pdf
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:34 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

WireBriar wrote:
So while I would love to be using GIMP 2.10 I am restricted to 2.8 due to my older OS, which I can't update because my computer is too old.

I did not see a limitation about the OS on the GIMP download page, you have to download the one for intel (don't go to the Apple's appstore!!)

On mac, you can try the DMG without installing it (don't download from the appstore, it's not the official one).
Open the .dmg file, basically mount it, DO NOT DRAG GIMP to the Applications folder > just double click the app to launch it directly (or right click on it > run?), be patient a start from a virtual "disk/drive" like the dmg, might take quite a long time.
Does GIMP 2.10 work?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:44 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I do not have a MacOS VM anymore, so I cant demo the plugin installation. Copying a file something.py into the plugins folder /Users/MyName/Library/Application Support/Gimp/2.8/plug-ins should not overwrite it. I can't say what you are doing wrong but you are.
One thing I do recall, sometimes that plug-ins folder is not created and you need to make one yourself, then make sure the path in Preferences -> Folders -> plug-ins exists.

Edit: Going back a few years but this one https://youtu.be/CHHqlHdmQ0o gives a bit of info on installing plug-ins and scripts. It does show Gimp 2.10 but 2.8 is just the same
-----------------
More generally, it is a plugin, make sure it is executable. It does use ImageMagick (IM) http://www.imagemagick.org and you need an old version 6 The current version 7 uses a different syntax 'convert' becomes 'magick'

40 second demo in linux kubuntu 20.04, Gimp 2.8.22 / IM 6.9 https://i.imgur.com/TQtESgN.mp4

There is an old script sg-save-pdf-multi.scm works but with limitations, needs each page open as an image and tedious when there are lots of pages. I will attach it in case anyone wants a try-out. another 40 second demo. https://i.imgur.com/lV6GruN.mp4

If you have IM installed, you can make good PDF's by command line. This for IM 7 Using jpg's give a smaller PDF.

magick name-1.jpg name-2.jpg......name-n  out.pdf

..and some comparisons on file size:

Attachment:
pdfs.jpg
pdfs.jpg [ 95.06 KiB | Viewed 1771 times ]

That last one, a bit strange in my experience. Gimp is/was renowned for making over-large PDF's. I wonder if the devs have finally tweaked it with Gimp 2.10.32 ?

Attachments:
sg-save-pdf-multi.scm [366 Bytes]
Downloaded 25 times

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:39 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Davies ...yeah

Apart from being about 18 minutes too long, it is for Gimp 2.10 and the OP is using Gimp 2.8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:15 pm  (#5) 

Thank you PixLab, that worked! I tried downloading the wrong version of GIMP before and it said it couldn't run on my OS, but the Intel one did the trick and now I have 2.10. Much appreciated! And thanks to everyone else for the advice on the plug-in.