It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need to generate an array of vertical lines (rulings) across a page.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:47 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.30
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Experienced User

Hi everyone.

Is there a way to draw a series of vertical rulings across a page? (Being able to draw horizontal ones too would be a happy bonus.)

I searched among my plug-ins and scripts, and did a search here for "array of lines" but I didn't recognize anything among the results. (I also looked inside G'Mic's "Arrays", reminding me of the FAMOUS quote from Don Knotts' immemorial film, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken: "They EVEN tried Bon Ami!")

Thank you. Meanwhile I go back to trying to make copies of a line every 3 mm manually...

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Need to generate an array of vertical lines (rulings) across a pag
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:32 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

One way to make vertical (or horizontal) lines is using the Grid filter: Filters -> Render -> Pattern -> Grid with settings as (1). Swap the settings round for horizontal.

However as I am sure you know, Gimp works in pixels not millimetres so to get a canvas to match set the resolution to something involving millimetres (2)

Attachment:
lines.jpg
lines.jpg [ 137.43 KiB | Viewed 758 times ]

That is for a one pixel line, heavier lines involve more tweaking and you might never get exactly 3mm spacing.

Post subject: Re: Need to generate an array of vertical lines (rulings) across a pag
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:08 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

If the lines don't fall on integer pixels, one way is to create two paths that are the two extreme lines, use ofn-path-inbetweener to create the intermediate lines, and then "Edit > Stroke path" to render them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:10 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Two excellent solutions, thank you, thank you. [1]

As I was out Sunday-driving today I pondered the potential usefulness of "copying 'the selection' to a set of defined points, perhaps even specifying x and y by functions.

That led to daydreams of me winning some kind of plugin-of-the-year award...

...and upon waking up to reality thinking again of G'Mic--and its multiplicity of functions--and potentially finding a script in the stack that could be used, perhaps elementally, to make such an array.

[1] Mis-report of not finding Grid filter. Mis-read your post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:24 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

if you have GMIC an automatic way to do them is using 'scan lines'. It only does horizontal though so if your original picture permits you will have to give it a 90% turn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:19 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Okay, I'll try to find that too! Thank you, sallyanne.