It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plugin Browser Crashes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:02 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.34
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
GIMP Plugin Browser

List any ERROR messages you received:
plug-in crashed: "plugin-browser.exe"
(C:/Program Files/GIMP 2/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/plugin-browser/plugin-browser.exe)
The dying plugin may have messed up GIMP's internal status. You may want to save your image and restart gimp to be on the safe side.

The plugin browser for gimp crashes when I try to bring it up. Is there an updated version of this plugin?

Attachments:
Screenshot (835).png
Screenshot (835).png [ 39.35 KiB | Viewed 3551 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Plugin Browser Crashes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:14 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

The Plugin Browser reads other plug-in files. Have you tried renaming GIMP's user plug-ins folder?

On Windows,
C:\Users\...user name...\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins -> C:\Users\...user name...\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:30 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

gasMask wrote:
The Plugin Browser reads other plug-in files. Have you tried renaming GIMP's user plug-ins folder?

On Windows,
C:\Users\...user name...\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins -> C:\Users\...user name...\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins1

It doesn't read plug-in files. It show the current internal registration status. At worst it reads the `pluginrc` file in the Gimp profile.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:37 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

mackenzieh wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.10.34
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
GIMP Plugin Browser

List any ERROR messages you received:
plug-in crashed: "plugin-browser.exe"
(C:/Program Files/GIMP 2/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/plugin-browser/plugin-browser.exe)
The dying plugin may have messed up GIMP's internal status. You may want to save your image and restart gimp to be on the safe side.

The plugin browser for gimp crashes when I try to bring it up. Is there an updated version of this plugin?

Even if it's a plugin, it is really part of the standard code, so you won't find a version more advanced than the one that came with your Gimp. So either:

- The executable is hosed for some reason (not too likely): re-install GIMP to restore a working version
- The plugin internal data has some weirdness that crashes the plugin: the `pluginrc` file in your Gimp profile could have been damaged, erase it and restart Gimp, that will make Gimp create a "fresh" one from the installed plugins.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:52 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
It doesn't read plug-in files. It show the current internal registration status. At worst it reads the `pluginrc` file in the Gimp profile.

I assumed it reads the files in order to get the registration.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:03 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Ofnuts,

I'll see if deleting the "pluginrc" gimp profile works.

Edit: Ofnuts, I deleted the pluginrc profile, restarted gimp and the plugin browser still crashed.

Could it be the file itself?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:04 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Mackenzieh
It is unlikely that two files (plugin-browser.exe and procedure-browser.exe) get corrupted at the same time - perhaps it is some dependent dll file (not only in Gimp, but also in Windows).
You can try these two files (attached) and I assume you have the latest version of Gimp-2.10.34-2.
You will probably need to reinstall - but wait a while for version 2.10.36 (as announced, it will be released today).

Slava
Ukraini!

Last edited by MareroQ on Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:09 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

MareroQ wrote:
Hi Mackenzieh
It is unlikely that two files (plugin-browser.exe and procedure-browser.exe) get corrupted at the same time - perhaps it is some dependent dll file (not only in Gimp, but also in Windows).
You can try these two files (attached) and I assume you have the latest version of Gimp-2.10.34-2.
You will probably need to reinstall - but wait a while for version 2.10.36 (as announced, it will be released today).

Thanks MareroQ! :) I do have the latest Gimp 2.10.34 version 2. I downloaded both the plugin browser file and the the procedure browser file and they still crashed when I tried them in Gimp 2.10.34-2. I then looked at the date the files were modified and the date on both files is 8/6/2023. Since the files are for 2.10.34, I doubt they will work in 2.10.36.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:35 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

The attachment was only for checking these files in version Gmp 2.10.34-2.
Unfortunately, version 2.10.36 (for Windows) is not available yet...

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:00 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

MareroQ wrote:
The attachment was only for checking these files in version Gmp 2.10.34-2.
Unfortunately, version 2.10.36 (for Windows) is not available yet...

I tried the files in Gimp 2.10.34-2 and they both crashed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:55 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

gimp-2.10.36-setup.exe for Windows here: https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gi ... s/?C=M&O=D

Attachments:
Gimp-2.10.36.jpg
Gimp-2.10.36.jpg [ 103.44 KiB | Viewed 3870 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:20 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

MareroQ wrote:
gimp-2.10.36-setup.exe for Windows here: https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gi ... windows/?C
=M&O=D

I downloaded GIMP 2.10.36, however the plugin and procedure browsers still crash.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:14 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

To finally rule out that the problem is caused by Gimp
Repairing the GIMP profile
If this does not help, there is probably a problem with dll files in Windows (and this is difficult to repair - about 30 files to check because one dll may have subsequent dependencies on other dlls and you need to use some program to find these dependencies).
Does pspi.exe work for You? (because it has some identical dependencies - but not all).
You can check the files in c:\Windows\System32\ - see if any are of size 0 b or have a date newer than the last Windows update (however, a required file may be missing).
I don't have any more ideas on how to solve your problem.

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:08 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

MareroQ wrote:
To finally rule out that the problem is caused by Gimp
Repairing the GIMP profile
If this does not help, there is probably a problem with dll files in Windows (and this is difficult to repair - about 30 files to check because one dll may have subsequent dependencies on other dlls and you need to use some program to find these dependencies).
Does pspi.exe work for You? (because it has some identical dependencies - but not all).
You can check the files in c:\Windows\System32\ - see if any are of size 0 b or have a date newer than the last Windows update (however, a required file may be missing).
I don't have any more ideas on how to solve your problem.

The pspi.exe works and so do the plugins. On start up, gimp is fine. It's just the plugin and procedure browsers that crash when trying to access them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:01 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

On time, I tried installing a version of Python from Microsoft's Windows Store. For some reason, the install glitched. When I tried uninstall this Python version, that failed. Then my programming environment was broken, so the only fix was to backup and reset Windows.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:16 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Mackenzie. Try this:
1. Uninstall GIMP, go to your: C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\GIMP and rename the Folder to GIMP.ori (original)
2. Re-install GIMP and start GIMP, (GIMP will create another "User folder" (GIMP) without any of your third party scripts or plugins)
3. Try to open the "Plugins-Browswer or the Procedure Data Browser"

If you don't get any errors then the problems is within the plugins or scripts you have installed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:03 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Pocholo wrote:
Hi Mackenzie. Try this:
1. Uninstall GIMP, go to your: C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\GIMP and rename the Folder to GIMP.ori (original)
2. Re-install GIMP and start GIMP, (GIMP will create another "User folder" (GIMP) without any of your third party scripts or plugins)

If you don't get any errors then the problems is within the plugins or scripts you have installed.

Pocholo,
I did as you suggested and I received the same errors as before.

Mackenzie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:09 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

mackenzieh wrote:
Pocholo wrote:
Hi Mackenzie. Try this:

Pocholo,

Mackenzie

@Mackenzie

Some more hints ;) As I said in another post, Was working before, not working now. Only you know what you installed in between before and now.

Trying to prove that the problem is a plugin / script / something else in Gimp, means a clean Gimp installation with no old user files included, and that is more than just uninstalling Gimp. Some screenshots of what is required.

Attachment:
01-uninstall.jpg
01-uninstall.jpg [ 130.52 KiB | Viewed 3765 times ]

(1) Look in the Gimp system folder structure. Can you find anything that you installed ? Some you might have installed, scripts / plug-ins / themes and a few plugins that come with an installer (BIMP) shown also install in the system.

(2) You uninstall Gimp and it is successful but it only removes files from the original install not anything you installed. Anything else Gimp related to uninstall ?

Attachment:
02-uninstall.jpg
02-uninstall.jpg [ 113.63 KiB | Viewed 3765 times ]

(3) These are the resources that were added following a Gimp installation. These will remain when a new Gimp is installed and what was broken before is still broken. You need to delete all of that Program Files\Gimp 2 folder and that sometimes requires a Windows restart.

(4) Then as Pocholo, In Appdata\Roaming rename your Gimp user profile. A new Gimp installation tries to migrate old settings which might cause your error.
(5) Still more to check. In Appdata\Local there is a GIMP folder, it should just contain crash logs so safe to delete. Then have you installed any GEGL plugins that might cause a problem. Delete those as well.

NOW you can run the Gimp 2.10.36 installer and check to see if the procedure browser is working.

Best of luck

On the other hand, what are you using the procedure browser for ? Finding the script/plugin menu location ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:13 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:
Pocholo wrote:
Hi Mackenzie. Try this:

Pocholo,

Mackenzie

@Mackenzie

Some more hints ;) As I said in another post, Was working before, not working now. Only you know what you installed in between before and now.

Trying to prove that the problem is a plugin / script / something else in Gimp, means a clean Gimp installation with no old user files included, and that is more than just uninstalling Gimp. Some screenshots of what is required.

Attachment:
01-uninstall.jpg

(1) Look in the Gimp system folder structure. Can you find anything that you installed ? Some you might have installed, scripts / plug-ins / themes and a few plugins that come with an installer (BIMP) shown also install in the system.

(2) You uninstall Gimp and it is successful but it only removes files from the original install not anything you installed. Anything else Gimp related to uninstall ?

Attachment:
02-uninstall.jpg

(3) These are the resources that were added following a Gimp installation. These will remain when a new Gimp is installed and what was broken before is still broken. You need to delete all of that Program Files\Gimp 2 folder and that sometimes requires a Windows restart.

(4) Then as Pocholo, In Appdata\Roaming rename your Gimp user profile. A new Gimp installation tries to migrate old settings which might cause your error.
(5) Still more to check. In Appdata\Local there is a GIMP folder, it should just contain crash logs so safe to delete. Then have you installed any GEGL plugins that might cause a problem. Delete those as well.

NOW you can run the Gimp 2.10.36 installer and check to see if the procedure browser is working.

Best of luck

On the other hand, what are you using the procedure browser for ? Finding the script/plugin menu location ?

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Rich2005. I use the procedure and plugin browsers for finding scripts/plugins and their locations. I followed your instructions and it worked. :)

Mackenzie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:44 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

That was basically what I told you to do in my prior post. :) It's good to hear that you have GIMP working now. :bigthup