It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Issues making non-pixellated small-scale graphics
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:22 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I'm having a new issue. I usually make decent-sized graphics, with the 1080 x 1080 px social media squares the smallest. But Amazon is asking for 300 x 300 size graphics. It then takes them and "processes" them. Every png I put in looks horrible and fuzzy. If I put in a larger graphic, it looks horrible. Someone told me to only put in a 300 x 300 graphic, but it still looks horrible. How are people creating graphics that display so cleanly at this size with text on them and no pixellation? Is this something GIMP can even do?

I made a 300 x 300 graphic and typed the text in directly at that size instead of scaling a text layer down. It was still pixellated.

Is this being done using vector graphics instead? Thanks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Issues making non-pixellated small-scale graphics
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:55 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

Rita wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I'm having a new issue. I usually make decent-sized graphics, with the 1080 x 1080 px social media squares the smallest. But Amazon is asking for 300 x 300 size graphics. It then takes them and "processes" them. Every png I put in looks horrible and fuzzy. If I put in a larger graphic, it looks horrible. Someone told me to only put in a 300 x 300 graphic, but it still looks horrible. How are people creating graphics that display so cleanly at this size with text on them and no pixellation? Is this something GIMP can even do?

I made a 300 x 300 graphic and typed the text in directly at that size instead of scaling a text layer down. It was still pixellated.

Is this being done using vector graphics instead? Thanks!

For the text tool, make sure it has the anti-aliasing option activated.

Social media have the nasty habit of re-compressing images to save bandwidth and this decreases their quality. Another thing that can happen is that the page HTML resizes them on-the-fly to something close, but this still forces the browser to rescale the image.

So 1) take a screenshot and measure the size of the image and compare with the image you authored 2) save the image from the browser to your PC and compare the file with the one you uploaded. If there are discrepancies, 1) make the image the exact size that it used on the site, and 2) try to reduce the size of the image yourself, making suitable compromises (file type, compression level, etc..)

Finally, 300x300 is not that big, so we tend to zoom in when working on the image, and this makes the pixels visible. That doesn't mean the image is awful at its intended size.

Post subject: Re: Issues making non-pixellated small-scale graphics
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:14 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you

Antialiasing is on.

The issue seems to be that Amazon takes the images and compresses them to store them. Then it displays them in various widths depending upon the interface the viewer is using.

These graphics look okay when I view them as 100% sized png files [though even then, 25 pt fonts don't look that great]. How they display on Amazon that makes them look worse.