It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Resizing Pictures
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:54 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Hi all,

So I have been looking and looking but to know luck.

I have a bunch (a lot) of pictures (portrait photos) that I need to resize. normally this is not really an issue but the device I am going to display them on is fixed at a 16:9 aspect ration. Currently tried windows power tools which can resize to fit inside the 1920x1080 envelop but I loose the aspect. is there a way to bulk add a mat to a picture if I made the mat 1920x1080 and have gimp add the picture I want to a different layer.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Resizing Pictures
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:19 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
You could created the background or matting.
Then "open as layers" some of your images,
scale them down and combine the background to each layer.
Then save each layer as png.

There is a combine script which falls under animation.
Attachment:
File comment: Script used to combine a background to the layers above it.
sg-combine-bg.scm [4.52 KiB]
Downloaded 7 times

Also a plugin for exporting layers as separate png's.
Attachment:
File comment: Plugin for exporting layers.
Export_Layers_as_separate_PNGs.zip [1.24 KiB]
Downloaded 11 times

Post subject: Re: Resizing Pictures
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:36 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Numbers299 wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Hi all,

So I have been looking and looking but to know luck.

I have a bunch (a lot) of pictures (portrait photos) that I need to resize. normally this is not really an issue but the device I am going to display them on is fixed at a 16:9 aspect ration. Currently tried windows power tools which can resize to fit inside the 1920x1080 envelop but I loose the aspect. is there a way to bulk add a mat to a picture if I made the mat 1920x1080 and have gimp add the picture I want to a different layer.

GIMP version 2.8.14...? That's an almost 10 years old GIMP you have, nowadays version is 2.10.36...

Anyway, if I understood, you want to put all your image as layers to resize them all at once.
But did you think how you will export each layer as image? one by one?

To add a bunch of pictures as layers, it's very simple, from your window explorer select all the images you want to open as layers then drag and drop them all at once INSIDE the canvas or INSIDE the layers' dialog (an image should already be there)
Then to combine the background (mat) with each layer, use that script > https://chiselapp.com/user/saulgoode/re ... combine-bg

But before to import and resize, you want a plugin to export all layers as separate image

Export all layers > https://kamilburda.github.io/gimp-export-layers/ this is my favorite as it has plenty other functions.
Ofnuts has a more direct one (simplicity is always good) called ofn-export-layers > https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-t ... s/scripts/

Once installed, restart GIMP Import images, resize them, use whichever you did install (ofn-export-layers comes with a manual inside the zip)

Another solution is to install BIMP for GIMP like that it will batch process directly in a selected directory/folder > https://www.alessandrofrancesconi.it/projects/bimp/

EDIT: :mrgreen: Wallace was faster