It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can someone please convert these two python scripts for Gimp 2.99.19
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:44 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.99.19
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Experienced User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
Ofnuts and Tin Tran respectively have contributed python plugins I frequently use and now they never worked in Gimp 2.99. I am hoping they can fix them

List any ERROR messages you received:
NA they simply don't work on Python 3 and 2.99.19

These are two python based Gimp plugins I use all the time in 2.10 but cannot use in Gimp 2.99.19. Can someone please convert these two python scripts for Gimp 2.99.19? Thanks

@ofnuts
@tintran

Thanks for making these plugins I hope you can get them working on 2.99.19/ Gimp 3 RC1
Attachment:
ofnuts_tin_tran_plugins.zip [2.84 KiB]
Downloaded 17 times

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Can someone please convert these two python scripts for Gimp 2.99.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:53 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Don't you think it's a bit early yet?
The API is still changing, things are not working ....
So it would be double work to do it now.
I would wait till 3.0 is officially out.
My2ct.

Post subject: Re: Can someone please convert these two python scripts for Gimp 2.99.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:07 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

The way my script is written you can just as well rewrite it because the actual code is .5% of the whole. The rest is the registration code which is different.

OTOH this is a script I don't recommend to use, and there may be a better way to do the same thing interactively in Gimp3; otherwise maybe you can come up with something, because "Select > Grow/Shrink" looks a lot like "Filters > Generic > Erode/Dilate" applied to the selection mask so it's all GEGL ops under the hood.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:15 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Gimp 3 is releasing in late May and the final python plugin change just happened or is in the process of being entirely merged
https://github.com/GNOME/gimp/commits/master/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:18 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

contrast_: API changes are one of the last big things we're working on. For instance, Jehan just recently asked me to change the signature for all image saving plug-ins - so I can understand why people are waiting until 3.0 to commit to these ports. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:55 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

CmykStudent wrote:
contrast_: API changes are one of the last big things we're working on. For instance, Jehan just recently asked me to change the signature for all image saving plug-ins - so I can understand why people are waiting until 3.0 to commit to these ports. :)

IMHO it should have been the first. Currently I have about a hundred scripts to convert. I have not heard of any progress in the Python auto-generated dialogs and writing a decent full-flegded UI for these is an immense task.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:10 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts: I don't disagree - we definitely need to provide (updated) tutorials for porting scripts and plug-ins. At the same time, you can't compel volunteers to work on specific things and API work is boring compared to implementing cool features. :)

The /plug-ins/python directory gives examples of auto-generating UI: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/t ... ins/python . It should work the same as the C version listed here: https://developer.gimp.org/api/3.0/libg ... ialog.html, just with <dialog>.get_widget() rather than gimp_procedure_dialog_get_widget().

If there are specific things missing in GIMP 3's Python, let us know (in fact, you may already have posted on issues in the tracker I think?).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:11 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Something easy like the PF_ Constants for the dialogues is nevertheless missing - at least for us Sunday-Coders.
My2Ct

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

quietreader: That should be possible with the GimpChoice datatype (see https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/b ... arp.c#L264 as an example). It automatically creates a dropdown box.

I don't know if we have an example in Python yet - I'll see if there's a place to update it in.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:20 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
CmykStudent wrote:
IMHO it should have been the first. Currently I have about a hundred scripts to convert. I have not heard of any progress in the Python auto-generated dialogs and writing a decent full-flegded UI for these is an immense task.
CmykStudent wrote:
ofnuts: I don't disagree - we definitely need to provide (updated) tutorials for porting scripts and plug-ins. At the same time, you can't compel volunteers to work on specific things and API work is boring compared to implementing cool features. :)

And the fact that the Gimp repo currently has 143 open Merge Requests, the most recent 38 of which were updated just within the past 30 days, seems to indicate that things are still very much in flux in a lot of areas.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:11 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

FeRDNYC: Hi! I wouldn't say merge requests are a reliable indicator. A number of them are either abandoned ones for 2.10 or not intended to be merged until after 3.0 (for instance, I have a merge request to add vector layers which definitely is a post-3.0 project). We're in a feature and string freeze right now, which means no new features will be merged nor will we merge anything that adds a new string for translators (unless it's fixing an existing typo or the like).

Our focus is on finishing the remaining API changes and bugfixes ahead of the upcoming 3.0 release candidate in May. :)