It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using the Grid
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:26 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

There's no hotkey that turns the Grid on or off?

Every time I want to use the Grid, I have to manually reconfigure its dimensions, because it is too small for the work I do. Is there an option to change the default Grid size the program starts with?

Thanks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Using the Grid
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:19 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

You can assign a short cut
under Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Scroll down to Keyboard Shortcuts and look for the one you want and just enable it and hit a Key to make it shortcut.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:15 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Ye Olde Guy wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

There's no hotkey that turns the Grid on or off?

Every time I want to use the Grid, I have to manually reconfigure its dimensions, because it is too small for the work I do. Is there an option to change the default Grid size the program starts with?

Thanks!

I totally agree about the default grid with the small spacing. However You can set up a custom grid from Edit -> Preferences Default Image -> Default Grid. These are my settings.

Attachment:
grid1.jpg
grid1.jpg [ 85.56 KiB | Viewed 73 times ]

There are also settings for an image-by-image basis. For any image Image -> Configure Grid. Like other properties guides / active selections ... this is saved when you SAVE the image as a Gimp .xcf file.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:55 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

OK. This is whack: After changing the default grid size in Preferences\Default Grid, the grid I end up with is HALF the size of what I expect GIMP to use. What the heck is going on?

Apparently, I cannot post screenshots without first finding some image hosting service and linking to that. So I have to describe what happens, instead of showing:

In Preferences\Default Grid, and under Spacing, I have entered a grid size of .100—the size I've used for months.

Subsequently, when I add a grid to an image, it seems smaller than it should be. Sure enough, upon pulling up Image\Configure Grid, I see the Spacing in inches listed at .050, instead of .100. It appears that I have to manually change this grid size for every image going forward into perpetuity, regardless of how I set up Preferences\Default Grid.

Is this behavior a bug or a feature?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:39 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
...snip....In Preferences\Default Grid, and under Spacing, I have entered a grid size of .100—the size I've used for months.

Your problem is using real world units (inches / millimetres..etc) while Gimp used pixels.
This is the default Gimp 2.10, where the default image uses a resolution of 300 pixels-per-inch (ppi)
The default grid settings is 10 pixels (very small spacing IMHO) and that gives a inches value of 0.033 inches.

Attachment:
01-default.jpg
01-default.jpg [ 95.36 KiB | Viewed 21 times ]

If the image ppi changes, and that can be the default value you set or the ppi of the open image the spacing in inches will change. The spacing in pixels still the same-old-10 pix. This if you changed the default ppi to say 96 - a common value for some images - the grid spacing is now 0.104 inches and still 10 pixels.

Attachment:
02-ppi.jpg
02-ppi.jpg [ 98.6 KiB | Viewed 21 times ]

The bottom line is, there is no automatic setting for inches spacing, only for pixels spacing. For inches, yes you will have to change this on an image-by-image basis and no it is not a bug.