It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toolbox—Tool Options and Brushes—Layers panes "vanished"
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:09 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

The more I use GIMP, the more likely I am to have these window panes "break" and disappear.

Technically, they have not disappeared. I am looking at them right now, on my desktop. However, the main workspace is minimized. If I bring it back up, it covers the two panes, rendering the program useless. I can resize the main workspace so that it does not obscure the side panes, but when I change programs or minimize GIMP, those two panes stay where they are, while the main workspace vanishes. It is as if they were three separate programs, instead of one.

I deleted the GIMP folder inside C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\. While that fixed things last time this happened, it did nothing this time.

How do I get the side panes back where they belong? How do I keep them from vanishing? Has anyone taken a look at the UI to figure out why this keeps happening? GIMP breaks once a week like this, and it is exhausting—especially because there no easy fix is in sight.

Thanks, and have a great day.

===============================================

I found this a few minutes ago:

How to reset toolbox

Navigate through Edit menu → Preferences → Window Management → and click the button for Reset Saved Window Positions to Default Values. Then click Ok to close the Preferences dialog and restart GIMP.

This reattached the two side panes.

Still . . . . If there is a way to stop this sort of thing happening every week, please share!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Toolbox—Tool Options and Brushes—Layers panes "vanished"
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:45 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Not sure if this is either relevant to or helpful for your particular issue, but have you tried configuring Gimp via Windows/Single Window Mode?

In the image below I have the Toolbox fixed on the left of the canvas, then the Layers, Paths and multiple other windows fixed on the right top with Patterns, Gradients and Brushes available on the bottom right. I have no problems with disappearing or overlaid windows.

Attachments:
GC_single_window_mode.JPG
GC_single_window_mode.JPG [ 241.57 KiB | Viewed 46 times ]

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:14 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Best thing to do if you do not want your dialogs moving/disappearing
Alongside of your tabs dialog (on the far right) there is a small filled in arrow. right click on it and you will be given several options. In the menu that drops down click on Lock tab to dock
Do this with all the tabs you wish to keep open all the time.
Then once you have done this, go to edit - preferences, Under Interface you will find Window management. In this window, check on save window positions on exit and save window positions now. Image
Then after closing from each session and opening up again they will be in the same position unless you move them

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:25 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Yup, single window mode for the win. :)

Personally I think 3.0 should have ONE single window with docking. JMHO :hehe