OK, let's get the situation clear, try this is order and tell us where you can't do it:
- You can start Gimp and you get a window with a File/Edit/Select... menu
Yes, the program opens fine, no problem with this.
- If you move the window pointer above these File/Edit/Select they get highlighted
No, they don't highlight when I hover over them.
- If you click on them you get a dropdown menu
Yes, I get a drop down menu
- You can create the default image using File/Create
Yes, I can do this.
- You can save an image using a new name (i.e. you can type things in the file dialog)
Yes, I can save the image
- In the image window, the mouse cursor shows a brush tip next to the pointer
Yes, I have the brush along with the pointer
- If you click on the small dotted square at the bottom left of the image window the window becomes
reddish, and reverts to normal if you click again
Yes, it does do this
- Ctrl-L makes a "Layers" window appear
No, it doesn't appear to do this. I still only have the background image in the history section
- In the Layers dialog, you have one single layer, it is called "Background", and it is selected
- Ctrl-B makes the Toolbox appear
No, it doesn't make the tool box appear. Though on the left of the program there is already a tool box section there.
- In the Toolbox there is one tool icon highlighted
Yes, it appears to be a button that is pushed in and the paintbrush tool is visable.
- In the image window, Windows/Dockable dialog/Tool options makes a dialog appear, with a "Tool options" title bar, and the name of the active tool at the top.
No, it doesn't do this
- The name of the active tool in that dialog changes if you select another tool
This is only a beginning...