It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing GIMP 2.7.tar file
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:57 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Ubuntu 10.04
GIMP Experience: Advanced Level

I have never...and I mean NEVER successfully done this with any install on Ubuntu EVER. No matter how much I read, watch, and learn, it NEVER works for me.

I am finally going to throw up my hands and say I need help. I don't know squat about a command line, so if you choose to dare help me...be gentle.

Thanks.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Installing GIMP 2.7.tar file
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:55 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I tried once and gave up.I am a lazy Windows person. :)

Installing GIMP(GNU Image Manipulation Program) in Ubuntu 10.04

From Ubuntu Terminal
1.Open terminal(hit CTRL+ALT+T or Applications->Accessories->Terminal)
2.Use the following command to install GIMP;It may ask you to enter sudo password then enter your login(Ubuntu 10.04 Account) password.
$ sudo apt-get install gimp
3.Wait for downloading and installation to complete.It may take few minutes.
4.That’s all.. now,you can access GIMP from Applications->Graphics->GIMP Image Editor.

From Ubuntu Software Center or Synaptic Package Manager(SPM)
1.Open Ubuntu software Center or SPM and search for gimp.
2.Then click to install(Software Center) or mark it for installation(SPM) and then apply to install.
3.Wait until the download will finish and installation will begin automatically.Within few minutes installation process will also complete.
4.To Run GIMP,Go to Applications->Graphics->GIMP Image Editor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:09 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I wish they would just create a system that you put the disc in and it shows a screen with a bunch of software.You select the software and hit okay.(including Ubuntu)
Then you get to walk away until the computer calls you back. :)

Now that would be perfect for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:49 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

The thing about installing anything in Ubuntu is to use the Sudo command. lol

I never would try to compile a major program like GIMP in Ubuntu, but I did, at that time, successfully compile Maze5 plugin and it took over 1.5 hours to figure out all the things that were necessary for me to compile it and get it to work. lol

Persistence is key. It is cool that most of the tools are already on the OS install to compile things in Ubuntu. Not so easy to do the same Windows. lol

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:59 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I understand how to get a package and install it in that way, but what I'm trying to do is compile a tar.bz2 file and install it as-wait...haven't you guys tried the new unstable version of GIMP? How did you install it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:55 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Hi tstandiford,
I wrote a howto installing Gimp-2.7 from git.
These instructions will also work for tar.bz2 files.
You'll have to scroll down,someone asked me this same question.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1261
Any questions just holler.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:04 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

As well as the last post there is episode 154 on meet-the-gimp where rolf demonstrates compiling a 2.7 installation also some notes here.

http://meetthegimp.org/workflow/doku.php?id=getting_gimp

I used this method in LinuxMint 9 64bit machine and a similar procedure in a PCLOS2011 machine.

It is a lot more complicated than just downloading an archive and running ./make & ./make install, the PCLOS in particular had a raft of packages to install before even starting.

Interesting though, keeps the mind active.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:05 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you rich. I'll check it out when I'm on my Ubuntu machine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:08 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
I wish they would just create a system that you put the disc in and it shows a screen with a bunch of software.You select the software and hit okay.(including Ubuntu)
Then you get to walk away until the computer calls you back. :)

Now that would be perfect for me.

that's what the Software Center is for and it never takes hours.

now, compiling is a whole other deal.

I need a stable system so I don't use unstable versions of anything

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Yeah, the ubuntu software center kind of works like the app store on a mac, only most everything is free.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:26 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

@cecilia,
I agree.
That's why I ended up by only having 2.6.11 on my "regular" install.
I created a separate partition for experiments with the git version of 2.7.x.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:13 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Founder

tstandiford wrote:
I understand how to get a package and install it in that way, but what I'm trying to do is compile a tar.bz2 file and install it as-wait...haven't you guys tried the new unstable version of GIMP? How did you install it?

A .tar or .bz2 can contain either the source code, which needs to be compiled, or it can contain compiled binaries. You need to ensure you grab the correct file. There's nothing special about those file formats. They're basically archieve/compression formats akin to .rar or .zip.

Installing pre-compiled binaries from archives like .tar is very problematic because those binaries are tied to specific libs that are linked at compile time (dependencies). If you are using a different version of Linux or a different distro from the person who originally compiled it, there is a strong possibility that you won't have the libs (or the version of the libs) that compiled version of the application is looking for. That is basically the reason each Linux distro uses it's own package manager for distributing compiled binaries. The package manager ensures you have the libs the application needs and automatically downloads them if you don't.

You can usually get away with installing a small binary from a .tar, as long as it's not too outdated and/or as long as it doesn't require any libs you don't have (installed).

When you compile from source code, whether it comes from a source .tar, git or subversion, the proper libs will be linked at compile time. If you don't have the libs the application needs, the compiler/linker will throw an error and complain. You'll then need to download and install the libs the app needs using your distro's package manager, then continue with the compile. The source code usually incudes a "make" file that compiles and links for you by issuing the make command from a terminal prompt. There are usually compile instructions in the "install" text file, as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:40 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Good luck either way you do it! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:29 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
tstandiford wrote:

A .tar or .bz2 can contain either the source code, which needs to be compiled, or it can contain compiled binaries. You need to ensure you grab the correct file. There's nothing special about those file formats. They're basically archieve/compression formats akin to .rar or .zip.

Installing pre-compiled binaries from archives like .tar is very problematic because those binaries are tied to specific libs that are linked at compile time (dependencies). If you are using a different version of Linux or a different distro from the person who originally compiled it, there is a strong possibility that you won't have the libs (or the version of the libs) that compiled version of the application is looking for. That is basically the reason each Linux distro uses it's own package manager for distributing compiled binaries. The package manager ensures you have the libs the application needs and automatically downloads them if you don't.

You can usually get away with installing a small binary from a .tar, as long as it's not too outdated and/or as long as it doesn't require any libs you don't have (installed).

When you compile from source code, whether it comes from a source .tar, git or subversion, the proper libs will be linked at compile time. If you don't have the libs the application needs, the compiler/linker will throw an error and complain. You'll then need to download and install the libs the app needs using your distro's package manager, then continue with the compile. The source code usually incudes a "make" file that compiles and links for you by issuing the make command from a terminal prompt. There are usually compile instructions in the "install" text file, as well.

Well...that explains a lot. Thanks for the awesome explination.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:57 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I do not compile often in Ubuntu, but when i do i love use checkinstall (you may install from synaptic anyway the home page is
http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/ )

No complication just at the very last step instead then "install" you type "checkinstall"

The advantages are

1) the new installed program will show up in synaptic, and you may manage (as vexample unistall) from there
2) you get a package as result and are quite good chances that will work also on somebody else computer (in your case of computer of other Ubuntu and maybe also by Debian users in general.)

"Good chances" because official packages are checked better for dependencies.

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:03 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Basically is nice to share within friend using same OS:
i compile a complex program (even gimp) you compile some complex plugin (as GAP) she compile last inkscape..

and we may exchange the package with good chances they will work and no risk if not, just a error message, usually about a missing dependency...once installed that it will work )

so we got 3 thing with the same effort to build 1

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:23 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Is it just a great idea - or may already be such website (add-download))?

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:55 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

For Ubuntu, why not use the PPA?

https://launchpad.net/~matthaeus123/+ar ... w-gimp-svn