It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:59 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Not familiar with gimp 2.6.10 but 2.6.11 can be found just about everywhere. I too am running XP SP3 and have been using it for about a year now.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:05 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

ozsalvo, I am not a techie person but 1 GB of RAM may be enough but I am not sure.
It seems to take a lot of Ram when using large files etc. One of the techies in here will probably be able to advise you about that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:23 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Good morning, Molly. :mcof I agree, 1 GB seems minimal. I'm running 2GB and some operations are really sluggish. Wish I had 8 GB but XP won't drive that much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:54 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Is it possible for you to stick another 1 GB stick into your pc or replace the one GB with a 2GB?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:12 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

This might help to back on the track

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:33 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

1GB under XP (even SP3) is plenty to run Gimp as long as you don't edit gigantic pictures.

Sluggish Gimp startup can be caused by plugins (or any executable code that mistakenly found its way in the plugins directories) or the sheer number of brushes/gradients/fonts/palettes. If most of them are in the user(s profile, reinstalling the same version of Gimp (ie, 2.6.anything) won't help since the user profile and its contents are kept from the previous install.

I have yet to see a Gimp that doesn't run after renaming the user profile (usually c:\documents and settings\[your id].gimp-2.6)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:47 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Founder

Good suggestion, ofnuts.

Also, it should be mentioned that you can run GIMP from the command prompt to help narrow down your problem. Check the console for error messages during startup, which should point you in the right direction.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:21 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

When you install 2.7 it creates a new Gimp-2 directory in the user folder.The folder is named ".gimp-2.7"
I have been using XP for about 3 years and i have gimp-2.6.11, and Gimp-2.7.4 installed.
They do not bother with each other if you download Parthas version

Get rid of (recycle bin) your \.gimp-2.7, and .gimp-2.6 folders found in
C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserFolder\

Download the gimp-2.7.4 version from above and install it into C:\Program Files\
Gimp-2.6.11 can be downloaded here

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:28 pm  (#9) 
Script Coder

ofnuts wrote:
1GB under XP (even SP3) is plenty to run Gimp as long as you don't edit gigantic pictures.

Sluggish Gimp startup can be caused by plugins (or any executable code that mistakenly found its way in the plugins directories) or the sheer number of brushes/gradients/fonts/palettes. If most of them are in the user(s profile, reinstalling the same version of Gimp (ie, 2.6.anything) won't help since the user profile and its contents are kept from the previous install.

I have yet to see a Gimp that doesn't run after renaming the user profile (usually c:\documents and settings\[your id].gimp-2.6)

Is that the empty (profilerc) file that you are describing, or do you mean the (pluginrc) file
that say's........# This file can safely be removed and will be automatically regenerated by
# querying the installed plugins, and contains about 722kb.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:00 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I actually was running Photoshop and/ or Gimp-2.7.4 under 544 mb of RAM.Now i have 1 gig but it ran fine with the 544mb's.So i doubt your RAM is the issue.Usually it's the profile folders [.gimp-2.6/.gimp-2.7] that are causing the problems.Deleting these folders after saving your downloaded resources (brushes, gradients,scripts,plug-ins), and the like will more often than not fix the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:42 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

No the RAM can't be a problem but your message is not clear ,you didn't explain why you can't install gimp
(what happens if you did ? it never loads ,it abort when loading or what else ? )

In case of "misterious" problem with the normal version try the portable usually that solve and has not disadvantages

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:16 am  (#12) 
Global Moderator

ozsalvo, looking good, Glad you have it resolved.