It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compiling plugins for 2.8
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:14 pm  (#1) 
Script Coder

GIMP Version: 2.8-RC1
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: 12.04
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
wavelet decompose

Ok, so here's the thing - I compiled gimp 2.8-rc1 from the source and installed it into /opt, and I don't have gimp 2.6 installed.

Now I'm trying to compile a plugin (wavelet decompose) for 2.8 but keep running into errors - I think the problem is that make doesn't find the required libraries because they're installed in the /opt directory...

Is there an easy way to do this thing? If not, is there a hard way?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Compiling plugins for 2.8
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:23 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Here we have already mentioned that if you install Gimp in /opt, many problems with plugins appear. Not exactly with compilation but because they are impossible to use then in Gimp.

For example, can you use G'MIC downloading the binary and copying it to ~/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins/?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:28 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Have you tried building from the c file directory?
gimptool-2.0 --build YourFile.c ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:10 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

YAFU wrote:
Here we have already mentioned that if you install Gimp in /opt, many problems with plugins appear. Not exactly with compilation but because they are impossible to use then in Gimp.

For example, can you use G'MIC downloading the binary and copying it to ~/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins/?

Nope, doesn't seem to work... It probably has to do with them being compiled using the 2.6 libraries which are no longer compatible with 2.8... the plugins need to be compiled using the 2.8 libraries.

Rod wrote:

No... I've only tried compiling by running make.

First error was that it couldn't find gimptool, so I made a link to the 2.8 version of gimptool-2.0 and put it in /bin so make could find it, and that worked.

Then, the next one was that pkg-config couldn't find gimpui, I solved that one easily by exporting PKG_CONFIG_PATH to point to the correct 2.8 directory where it could be found. But then I got stuck with this one:

make -C src install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/vesa/tmp/wavelet-decompose-0.1.2/src'
No output from 'pkg-config --variable=prefix gimp-2.0'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/vesa/tmp/wavelet-decompose-0.1.2/src'
make: *** [install] Error 2

So now I don't know where to go from here... yeah, I don't exactly know what I'm doing here, I got this far by experimentation and trying to figure stuff out... :p

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:19 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

dd wrote:
It probably has to do with them being compiled using the 2.6 libraries which are no longer compatible with 2.8... the plugins need to be compiled using the 2.8 libraries.

I do not think that's the problem. These binaries work fine if you install Gimp 2.7 - 2.8 in the default path.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:35 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Try it without the --prefix for install.
Gimptool-2.0 should be able to build the plugin and not actually install it.
Just build the plugin and install it yourself manually.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:34 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

dd wrote:
YAFU wrote:

Nope, doesn't seem to work... It probably has to do with them being compiled using the 2.6 libraries which are no longer compatible with 2.8... the plugins need to be compiled using the 2.8 libraries.

Rod wrote:

No... I've only tried compiling by running make.

First error was that it couldn't find gimptool, so I made a link to the 2.8 version of gimptool-2.0 and put it in /bin so make could find it, and that worked.

Then, the next one was that pkg-config couldn't find gimpui, I solved that one easily by exporting PKG_CONFIG_PATH to point to the correct 2.8 directory where it could be found. But then I got stuck with this one:

make -C src install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/vesa/tmp/wavelet-decompose-0.1.2/src'
No output from 'pkg-config --variable=prefix gimp-2.0'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/vesa/tmp/wavelet-decompose-0.1.2/src'
make: *** [install] Error 2

So now I don't know where to go from here... yeah, I don't exactly know what I'm doing here, I got this far by experimentation and trying to figure stuff out... :p

Assuming you have the src in home directory in a directory called wavelet-decompose and have installed gimp in say /opt/gimp, do the following from your home directory:
cd wavelet-decompose
gcc src/*.c -O3  -I src -I `echo /opt/gimp/include/gimp-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs glib-2.0`  `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gimp-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gimpui-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags gimpui-2.0`   -o wavelet-decompose

Let me know if that does not work.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:42 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

partha wrote:

It gives this error

$ gcc src/*.c -o3 -I src `echo /opt/gimp-2.8/include/gimp-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs glib-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gimp-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gimpui-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags gimpui-2.0` -o wavelet-decompose
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find /opt/gimp-2.8/include/gimp-2.0: File format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:04 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

dd wrote:
partha wrote:

It gives this error

$ gcc src/*.c -o3 -I src `echo /opt/gimp-2.8/include/gimp-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs glib-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gimp-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gimpui-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags gimpui-2.0` -o wavelet-decompose
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find /opt/gimp-2.8/include/gimp-2.0: File format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

That's because you didn't install gimp in /opt/gimp-2.8. Substitute that with the directory where you installed Gimp.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:38 pm  (#10) 
Script Coder

Yes I did.. the directory is there, the path is correct, still gives that error.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:10 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Just a few thoughts

Wavelet-decompose was a package request a couple of weeks ago on the PCLOS forum. Packager said "The plugin doesn't work on my x86_64 but I could see it on GIMP's Tools on my i586 so I'm not packaging it. However, I did manage to compile the binary for it."

maybe this has a bearing on your problem.

Some one else confirmed that the 386 binary provided did not work on their 64 bit installation. - not surprising.

I use 32 bit and the binary works fine on my gimp 2.8 RC1 - popped it into my local plugins.
but then,
it is not a complicated plugin and the debian compilation from the gimp-registry-plugins package also works just as well & this is definitely not a debian machine.

There are 32 & 64 bit packages available just unpack the .deb and copy to your plugins folder. Make sure it is executable. Worth a try.
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gimp-plugin-registry

If you desperately need wavlet-decompose and until you get your compilation sorted, there is a script that works.
http://registry.gimp.org/node/13549 the order of the layers is a bit different but no great hurdle.

I have great sympathy with your efforts, a few days ago I compiled the gimp-image-register plugin and that was a similar pain even though I have my 2.8RC1 in /users rather than /opt.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:03 am  (#12) 
Script Coder

Thanks, I'll try those out if I can't manage to compile this...