It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installation problem
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:21 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

List any ERROR messages you received:
wind.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start because libgimpui-2.0-0.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Hi,
I've just downloaded the latest installer 'gimp_installer_1606.exe' and installed it by following the instruction. I tried to start gimp but I get the following error message. What have I done wrong and do I need to reinstall already? I looked for 'libgimpui-2.0-0.dll' and it's in '/GIMP-2.0/bin' folder though. Please help.

'wind.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because libgimpui-2.0-0.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Installation problem
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:28 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Try this. http://registry.gimp.org/node/24543

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:26 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry 'bout my last post - I wasn't reading properly. I've had a Google round but can't find any useful information. What is gimp_installer_1606.exe supposed to do?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:13 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

You should always download Gimps latest installer from Gimp.org currently Gimp-2.8, OR Partha.com Currently that is Gimp-2.8.1
If you need to download a different version other than the newest one download from Sourceforge here.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-wi ... %202.16.6/

Never download Gimp from third party websites.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:44 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
You should always download Gimps latest installer from Gimp.org currently Gimp-2.8, OR Partha.com Currently that is Gimp-2.8.1
If you need to download a different version other than the newest one download from Sourceforge here.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-wi ... %202.16.6/

Never download Gimp from third party websites.

That's what I was thinking. The name of the installer baffled me because it should be Gimp 2.? setup.exe. I couldn't find 'gimp_installer_1606.exe' on any official or trusted Gimp download site.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:26 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

In the gimp\bin directory, there should be a lot of .dll files, including libgimpui-2.0-0.dll.
Starting gimp is no problem, because windows can find all the needed dll files in the gimp\bin directory.
But on the first start, gimp checks all the plugins in the gimp\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins directory. Some of them need functions from the gimp-libraries (as libgimpui-2.0-0.dll), they were compiled with, too. But now, windows cannot find them, because it doesn't look in the gimp/bin-directory, it looks in the plug-ins directory instead.
So the solution is:

Put the dll - files somewhere in the system path. (recommended)
or
Add the gimp\bin directory to the system path (strongly recommended)
or
Copy all dll - files from the gimp\bin directory to the gimp\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins directory (not recommended)

Be aware: If you have more than one plug-ins directory, they could need the dll - files, too, so the third method must be repeated for every plug-ins directory. As I said: not recommended

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:02 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Onkel Hatti wrote:
In the gimp\bin directory, there should be a lot of .dll files, including libgimpui-2.0-0.dll.
Starting gimp is no problem, because windows can find all the needed dll files in the gimp\bin directory.
But on the first start, gimp checks all the plugins in the gimp\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins directory. Some of them need functions from the gimp-libraries (as libgimpui-2.0-0.dll), they were compiled with, too. But now, windows cannot find them, because it doesn't look in the gimp/bin-directory, it looks in the plug-ins directory instead.
So the solution is:

Put the dll - files somewhere in the system path. (recommended)
or
Add the gimp\bin directory to the system path (strongly recommended)
or
Copy all dll - files from the gimp\bin directory to the gimp\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins directory (not recommended)

Be aware: If you have more than one plug-ins directory, they could need the dll - files, too, so the third method must be repeated for every plug-ins directory. As I said: not recommended

This is another VERY good reason to use Parthas version of Gimp-2.8. His installer auto appends the path variable value.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:47 am  (#8) 

Hi everyone,
I thought I downloaded the manual by mistake :oops: but the link on the top is linking to the file I mentioned in my OP. :(

I went to this page and clicked "Download GIMP 2.8.0 – Installer for Windows XP SP3 or later". Then one of the banners with blue that says "Download" is the one I clicked but if I click on the link right at the top where it says "Your GTK+ and GIMP installers for Windows download will start in 0 " it directs me to "gimp-2.8.0-setup.exe"

The first file I downloaded 'gimp_installer_1606.exe' is 1512Kb compared to 'gimp-2.8.0-setup.exe' 74,439Kb which I've just downloaded so clearly there is something wrong there. But then again, some setup files are small so I didn't know any better. Also one of the banners goes to this link too http://www.download-21.com/gimp-free-photo-editor-20625c/

How confusing.
Do you think I ended up with virus installer? :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:39 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

If you want to install Gimp then gimp-2.8.0-setup.exe is what you want and your first link is the official Gimp site so your download from there is safe. I have never come across gimp_installer_1606.exe before and don't know anything about it. I would point you to Parthas for a more fully featured build (More plugins and Python built in I think) but the only link I have leads to 2.8.1 which I believe is for bug testing at the moment.