It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smoothing brushes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:20 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.0
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Hello everyone ;) . I am experiencing difficulties with gimp. So, first to start off, the smoothing and the size of the brush things doesn't seem to work. Here is a screen shot here http://oi46.tinypic.com/2lu9ksh.jpg
There is only spacing. I don't know why this happened, but without smoothing, weighting, or the brush size I can't draw :C
I just made a mistake by closing the brush window.

Is there any way I can retrieve those back? If I can, you're a life saver :)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Smoothing brushes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:29 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

You can either click on that triangle in the brushes dialog box>Add Tabs>Tool Options or go to Windows>Dockable Dialogs>Tool Options.

Post subject: Re: Smoothing brushes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:49 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

edit: lost the plot,became overly complicated
try: find the sessionrc file in the folder C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8 Rename it to maybe xsessionrc.
Start up gimp and it should be the default 3 pane mode. Change to single window mode. Set it up the way you want and save tool options, windows positions etc in the preferences menu.
Then you can look at the brush options which are a lot more than just spacing.
------------
You can get your brushes or any other dialogue back from the Windows 'Dockable' menu.
It is worth noting that the Gimp interface is readily customisable by adding tabs to either the tools or options menus, as previous post.
Also worth a mention, when you have Gimp set up to your liking, go into Edit -> Preferences -> Tool options, click the 'Save Tool Options' now and untick the 'Save Tool Options On Exit'.
Next
Might-or-might-not do what you want but there are a host of brush dynamics setting to consider.
First of all to get the options enabled, either copy one or all of the dynamics presets, 'something.gdyn' from the global folder to local folder. Doubles up the presets but the ones 'something#1' are editable and it is safe.
or
Enable the 'writeable' tick box in the edit-> preference-> folders. This also tells you the location of the folders. Not so safe.
Then there are options that you can play around with for any particular brush, the mapping matrix and the dynamics curves for any particular property. Its not M$ and 'given-to-you-on-a-plate', lots to learn. :roll:
Keep trying.