It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mouse pen?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:33 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Can anybody suggest a mouse pen? I read about some, it seems that Genius mouse pen is good. Anybody uses it?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: mouse pen?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:02 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Are you talking about the pen that comes with a tablet? I have a Wacom and it is considered to be a very good one.
Wacom pen tablet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:12 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

Markgolfa wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Can anybody suggest a mouse pen? I read about some, it seems that Genius mouse pen is good. Anybody uses it?

Wacom tablets have a good reputation (consumer-grade "Bamboo" or pro "Intuos") and are usually the prime target of Gimp developers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:29 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

never heard of a mouse pen before so looked it up on amazon. it looks pretty neat, but my only issue would be, does it have pressure sensitivity? from the description it doesnt seem to. so if you are just looking to replace your mouse with something more comfortable and intuitive i would say go for it after all its only£20. but if you require sensitivity i would suggest a proper tablet. and as genius have a range of low cost tablets it may be worth checking some of them out instead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:35 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Personnally I have tried and tested a combo a little bit strange but with pleasant sensations.
I have earned an Ipad 3 in a radio contest last month, I have played with it during one week essentially for games et internet.
Then I have a revelation watching a video on youtube from Kobausk, a japanese artist, in this video he showed how to use an Ipad as tablet graphic with Photoshop and a capacitive stylus homemade.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

I told myself, why don't try with Gimp and my Ipad.

The first step was to connect my computer with the device in order to see and use my screen computer directly on the ipad's screen, I have tested several free applications which have allowed me to take control of my computer but with an offset in time (2-3 seconds) or with an automatic change of my screen resolution, that wasn't efficient and handy with Gimp.
Finally I have found a excellent paid application (I don't know if I can quote it ?) efficient without offset or resolution issue which allow me now to use Gimp with a tablet graphic.

The second step was to find a alternative more accurate than my finger on the Ipad, Kobausk explained that all static materials can be use to made a stylus capacitive, I have tried a lot of combination and I managed to make two different pens, one with a sponge and the second with the packaging of a packet of crisps. The result was satisfactory, I was very proud but far from what showed Kobausk because he used a sheet of sunscreen that I did not, maybe my next test ...
Frustrated to stay on a semi-fail, I have ordered (about $ 20) a capacitive stylus which the particularity to have transparent and adjustable tip which allowed to be accurate when we have to return in a last line of draw.

I'm far of to be an artist but it's just my opinion, for my usage I find that is a good compromise, I feel that the pressure and sensitivity are really taken in account.
I recommend you do the test if you have the opportunity.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:35 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you everybody for the replies! Time to make decision :)