It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how do I move layers?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:41 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Hello!
I am making an image made of three photos. I opened one image in GIMP, duplicated the layer, got Color to Alpha, erased the Alpha layer, duplicated it again (3 times), dropped second image in, erased on it what I needed. So far everything is good. Now I dropped the third image, and it is stuck between first and second layers, when I need it to be the very last layer. I cannot move it below the other one. I am new in GIMP and layers are a bit confusing to me. What do I have to do to make that third image to be the lowest layer?
Thank you!!!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: how do I move layers?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:01 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

If I understand you correctly, the bottom layer is probably your original background. The best way to go is duplicate the original background and count the duplicate as your first layer to edit. The first duplicate will allow you to move any additional layers below it. You can keep your original background as reference, hide it or delete it.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:09 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

In your layers, at the bottom there are small up and down arrows, they don't show up very well in mine but if you want to move a layer up or down you can select the layer you want to move, then click one of these.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:27 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

Markgolfa wrote:

Hello!
I am making an image made of three photos. I opened one image in GIMP, duplicated the layer, got Color to Alpha, erased the Alpha layer, duplicated it again (3 times), dropped second image in, erased on it what I needed. So far everything is good. Now I dropped the third image, and it is stuck between first and second layers, when I need it to be the very last layer. I cannot move it below the other one. I am new in GIMP and layers are a bit confusing to me. What do I have to do to make that third image to be the lowest layer?
Thank you!!!

The simplest way is to drag the layers to position in the Layers list dialog (Ctrl-L, if it' is not showing already). Dragging to below the last layer requires some care because the drop area isn't very large. But you can also move the bottom layer up...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:17 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

The other way to move layers is go to the menu's along the top and go Layers>Stack>Layer to Bottom.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:34 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

OR, if you want to move a layer from the top to the bottom, hold down shift and then click the little down arrow,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:29 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

haha, talk about more than one way to skin a cat!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:24 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Looks like every way has been covered, i like to drag them and let go when the little line is where i want the layer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:29 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

nice animation alc. :teeth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:41 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
In your layers, at the bottom there are small up and down arrows, they don't show up very well in mine but if you want to move a layer up or down you can select the layer you want to move, then click one of these.

Yes, I tried that, my arrows are not active, they are gray and I click on it - nothing happens. I wonder more and more if it's my XP doesn't communicate with GIMP...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:43 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Markgolfa wrote:

Hello!
Thank you!!!

The simplest way is to drag the layers to position in the Layers list dialog (Ctrl-L, if it' is not showing already). Dragging to below the last layer requires some care because the drop area isn't very large. But you can also move the bottom layer up...

Yep, tried that, it floats right back to where it was..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:46 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

he4rty wrote:
The other way to move layers is go to the menu's along the top and go Layers>Stack>Layer to Bottom.

Just tried it after I read your post. My Layer to Bottom is grayed out, not active. I'm afraid GIMP was not installed properly or it doesn't get along with my computer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:48 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
OR, if you want to move a layer from the top to the bottom, hold down shift and then click the little down arrow,

Just tired, my arrows are grayed out, inactive

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:54 am  (#14) 
Global Moderator

Did you make sure the layer you wanted to move was active? Was the little eye turned on? If so, they shouldn't be grayed out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:07 am  (#15) 

If the layer is a floating layer it will have to stay on top until you anchor it. The easiest way to do this if you want it to be in it's own layer is to right click on it in the "layers" tab and select "to new layer". If you don't have a layers tab open you can open it by looking to the top of your document and clicking windows -->dockable dialogs -->layers