It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: any way to have a simple select tool in my toolbox like inkscape etc
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:39 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

I am trying to figure how to put a simple select tool in my tool box. common in other progs like Inkscape, Photoshop, Illustrator, Paint shop etc. currently when I click on any tool it performs its action. I only want that when I select it. Thank you for your insight.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: any way to have a simple select tool in my toolbox like inkscape e
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:04 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

larwil wrote:

I am trying to figure how to put a simple select tool in my tool box. common in other progs like Inkscape, Photoshop, Illustrator, Paint shop etc. currently when I click on any tool it performs its action. I only want that when I select it. Thank you for your insight.

GIMP has plenty of tools for making a selection - top 7 in tool box that are circled - all select tools.
You should have them in your toolbox area.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want to configure your tool box to have the tools that you need and get rid of the rest or you can't find any of the select tools?

Post subject: Re: any way to have a simple select tool in my toolbox like inkscape e
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:29 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

i think the closest thing to the select tool in Inkscape is the Move tool in Gimp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:27 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

larwil wrote:

There is no "select" tool in Gimp because selection is actually done in the Layers list. The "Move" tool is the only one I can think of which in some cases will select what you click on in the image display.

If you want an innocuous pointer, use the Measure tool.