It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installed Gimp 2.8.2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:23 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.2
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Well, I installed 2.8. even gave it it's own folder. I left Gimp 2.6.11 for for fun. I downloaded 2.8.2 from the Gimp.org site.

So, there are a couple of things. I will start with gimp 2.8.2. It loads up if I click "ok" on each message, because it tells me throughout the start-up I am missing these files. Files are: libmng.dll (This application failed to start because libmng.dll was not found) , libgimpui-2.0-0.dll (procedure entry pint gimp image get thumbnail could not be located in the dynamic library), and libpng14-14.dll (this application failed to start because libpng14-14.dll was not found.)

Gimp 2.6.11 issues: This application failed to start because libgimpcolor-2.0-0.dll was not found. Clicking "ok" did not initiate the program to keep loading.

Any thoughts? I may try to reinstall again and see what happens. First I will look back through the forum for some answers again.

Lianam

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Installed Gimp 2.8.2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:38 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

libgimpui-2.0-0.dll should be in Gimp 2/bin folder.
Gimp doesn't need libpng14-14.dll but one of your plugins might.
Search your computer for both you may have them in another program. For example, libpng14-14.dll is used by Python, GTK2, Inkscape, Dia, LabCurves.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:41 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

If your XP is 32-bit (in most cases it is) you can't have 32-bit 2.6 gimp and 32-bit 2.8 at the same time.
API of these two version are way too different. When you launch 2.8 it looks for libraries in your Program Files derictories and finds 2.6 older (incompatible or partially compartibale) library files. The same is with 2.6. That's why both are complaining.
With 64-bit PC you can have 32-bit gimp 2.6 and 64-bit gimp 2.8 simultaneously since they have different Program File directories: PF fro 64- and PF (x86) for 32-bit software.
What is your XP SP3, a 32- or 64-bit?
If it's 32, for performance purposes I would recommend to get rid of one version for good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:50 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

I'm going to disagree with K1TesseraEna. I have both 2.6.7 and 2.8.2 on my XP systems BUT you do need to completely uninstall 2.6 before installing 2.8 as the installer tries to be clever and copy your plug-ins from 2.6 into 2.8 causing much confusion.

So I backed-up my personal 2.6 directory, unistalled 2.6, installed 2.8 into a custom location (C:\Program Files\GIMP 2.8.2) then re-installed 2.6.7, again into a custom location (C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.6.7). Finally I copied my plug-ins from my person 2.6.7 backup into the new person 2.8.2 directories.

Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:00 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I looked through the forum threads not much there but it got me looking through my folders. It seems when I installed 2.8.2 it partially uninstalled the Gimp 2.6.11 I can not find its bin folder. But in the 2.8.2 bin folder libgimpcolor-2.0-0.dll and libgimpui-2.0-0.dll are both there.

As for libpng14-14.dll I will look for it where you suggested. I have not found the libmng.dll is actually libmng-1.dll in the 2.8.2 folder. Is that the same one?

@ K1TesseraEna Ahhh.. makes sense.. I will just dump 2.6.11. 2.8.2 seems t o be working just complaining like you said. I believe XP is a 32 bit OS.I am to ornery to upgrade to windows 7 yet. LOL I need to upgrade other pc components first.

@ Paynekj I have back-up folder with all my gimp goodies in it. I will go try out the suggestions and give you guys an update thanks for the help. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:10 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

@Kevin
I'm not saying it's impossible to have both. I have 64-bit Win 7 and both versions of gimp. Still, there was too many problems with some 3rd party plugins. I had to uninstall Mathmap, g'mic, GAP, some other C plugins from one of the gimp versions. Now they both work fine but one has to be aware of that and know how to deal with this issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:18 pm  (#7) 
Script Coder

K1TesseraEna wrote:
@Kevin
I'm not saying it's impossible to have both. I have 64-bit Win 7 and both versions of gimp. Still, there was too many problems with some 3rd party plugins. I had to uninstall Mathmap, g'mic, GAP, some other C plugins from one of the gimp versions. Now they both work fine but one has to be aware of that and know how to deal with this issue.

Fair enough. It has to said that I have very minimal GIMP installations so it's likely to be easier for me to do this. In fact I only have 2.8 so I can check any scripts I write or upload to GimpScripts.

Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:34 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Lianam wrote:
I looked through the forum threads not much there but it got me looking through my folders. It seems when I installed 2.8.2 it partially uninstalled the Gimp 2.6.11 I can not find its bin folder. But in the 2.8.2 bin folder libgimpcolor-2.0-0.dll and libgimpui-2.0-0.dll are both there.

As for libpng14-14.dll I will look for it where you suggested. I have not found the libmng.dll is actually libmng-1.dll in the 2.8.2 folder. Is that the same one?

@ K1TesseraEna Ahhh.. makes sense.. I will just dump 2.6.11. 2.8.2 seems t o be working just complaining like you said. I believe XP is a 32 bit OS.I am to ornery to upgrade to windows 7 yet. LOL I need to upgrade other pc components first.

@ Paynekj I have back-up folder with all my gimp goodies in it. I will go try out the suggestions and give you guys an update thanks for the help. :D
There is a few thinks going on here, it's probably duplicate dll's, between versions, fighting with each other, a reboot should stop it. If your going to remove Gimp 2.6 make a backup first. After you remove 2.6 and open 2.8 you should be good to go. If 2.8 complains about missing dll's check your backup for a copy.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:50 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I finished my uninstall/reinstall of gimp 2.6.11 and now I just have Gimp 2.8.2. All the other issues are fixed but i get this one now. "The procedure entry point_gxx_personality_sj0 could not be loacted in the dynamic link library libstdc++-6.dll." I did find that particular dll in my library so not sure what it all means. I just have to click 'ok' about 3 times to intilialize gimp to finish starting up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:57 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Lianam wrote:
I finished my uninstall/reinstall of gimp 2.6.11 and now I just have Gimp 2.8.2. All the other issues are fixed but i get this one now. "The procedure entry point_gxx_personality_sj0 could not be loacted in the dynamic link library libstdc++-6.dll." I did find that particular dll in my library so not sure what it all means. I just have to click 'ok' about 3 times to intilialize gimp to finish starting up.
You should have a version of libstdc++-6.dll in, Gimp 2\bin.
Do you have Resynthesizer plugin? If so you may have another copy of libstdc++-6.dll.
Do a search for libstdc++-6.dll.
If you find a copy in, .gimp-2.8 folder rename it libstdc++-6.dll.old, restart Gimp and see what happens.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:56 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

*Does Happy dance* :yes That was the problem.

I think I need to take notes and put them in my gimp for dummies book so I don't forget. LOL

Now I can play with all the new features and added ones. :hehe

Thanks Odinbc!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:10 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Way to go Liana, I'm glad you got it sorted out :yes

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:41 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Well, I did but I did have help from all of you. I would be going, "Oh gee now what?" I would be still working on it several days later. LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:26 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Ok, I'll try to install 2.8. I hope everything goes right. :roll:
Does any plugin or script may not run on 2.8?

Thx.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:36 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Hi there!
Why my script-fu no more work now after instal new gimp2.8?

Itis in menu filter, but not active :-(

Thx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:47 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

@Akros: Not that I am aware of. I did download Rod's script and plugin zips that he said should work with Gimp 2.8. Thanks Rod by the way!! :)

I had an issue once first starting out in gimp wonder why things showed inactive. Have you opened a pic of any kind to see if they show-up? That happens when the script/plugin needs something to work from first. Try that and see. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:01 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

:tyspin Thx Lianam Ok now! My Layer effects in Script-fu is fine again! :hi5 :bigthup

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:29 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

No problem glad it all worked out. :hi5

I really like Gimp 2.8 just have to get use to some changes is all now. :) Like the brush sliders. lol