It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I remove the background on an image ??
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:22 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

I am trying to put a picture onto another but I need the white background from the first picture to be removed and my attempts never seem to work out for me. I don't get what I am doing wrong. When I have the picture that I'd like to use as my background opened, I go to "Edit > Paste into" to get the picture that goes onto it and I have tried using the paths as well as the free select tool around the shape of the picture, which works. I think I read in a tutorial that after you are done with that you have to click inside the image you outlined with the tool so I tried to and that failed so then I went to "Select > Invert" and then "Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel" and finally "Edit > Clear". That just leaves me with everything being deleted, not just the background. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How do I remove the background on an image ??
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:32 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

i'm not sure i get this correctly, but are you working with the paths tool and you can't get it to make a selection, or do you mean you have this problem with the free select tool too?
if your problem is only with the paths tool - have you been to the paths tab and clicked "path to selection"?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:36 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hi RedheadHenny !

To render a picture, that picture needs to have an alphachannel.
An alphachannel is transparency.

When you erase parts of a picture without an alpha channel with the eraser tool, you will see white.
When a picture has an alphachannel, you will see transparency displayed by a grey checkerboard pattern.

Rendering a picture means using a tool to get rid of everything you dont want.
This can be done with various methods.

One is using the eraser and erasing everything with the help of the zoom function so that you can magnify your picture to a scale where you can distinguish individual pixels.

Another method is using the free select tool (lasso) or the path tool and making a selection around the object you want to render.
The path tool is more difficult to use but more precise because you can make curves.

Lets say you use the lasso tool and clicked around your object you want to render. When you are ready you will get a selection, also called "marching ants"
What you have to do, is invert the selection. Go to 'Select' and then 'Invert'.
Then click the delete key on your keyboard or 'Edit' -> 'Cut'.

This should remove everything around your object.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:37 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
i'm not sure i get this correctly, but are you working with the paths tool and you can't get it to make a selection, or do you mean you have this problem with the free select tool too?
if your problem is only with the paths tool - have you been to the paths tab and clicked "path to selection"?

I was trying to say that when I used the paths tool, it worked. I was able to outline but when I went to get rid of the white background it deleted the entire picture instead of just the background. I tried using the free select tool and the same thing happened so I'm not sure what I did wrong or if there was something I didn't do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:43 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Esper wrote:
Hi RedheadHenny !

To render a picture, that picture needs to have an alphachannel.
An alphachannel is transparency.

When you erase parts of a picture without an alpha channel with the eraser tool, you will see white.
When a picture has an alphachannel, you will see transparency displayed by a grey checkerboard pattern.

Rendering a picture means using a tool to get rid of everything you dont want.
This can be done with various methods.

One is using the eraser and erasing everything with the help of the zoom function so that you can magnify your picture to a scale where you can distinguish individual pixels.

Another method is using the free select tool (lasso) or the path tool and making a selection around the object you want to render.
The path tool is more difficult to use but more precise because you can make curves.

Lets say you use the lasso tool and clicked around your object you want to render. When you are ready you will get a selection, also called "marching ants"
What you have to do, is invert the selection. Go to 'Select' and then 'Invert'.
Then click the delete key on your keyboard or 'Edit' -> 'Cut'.

This should remove everything around your object.

Oh I see. I wasn't sure what to do after I was done clicking around the object in order to get the selection. I guess that was why both the paths and lasso tool didn't work out for me. What would be my next step before "Select > Invert"?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:51 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

RedheadHenny wrote:
Oh I see. I wasn't sure what to do after I was done clicking around the object in order to get the selection. I guess that was why both the paths and lasso tool didn't work out for me. What would be my next step before "Select > Invert"?

the first and the last nodes you made must be connected

when you use the path tool hold STRG before you make the last node, and click in the first node
that finishes the path, click selection from path and then the marching ants should appear, after that you invert the selection

its a tiny bit different with the lasso tool:
you just click in the first node without the need to hold down STRG and it should connect resulting in marching ants = your selection

the good thing about the path tool is that the path you made it automatically saved to the paths tab
on the other hand when a selection done with the lasso tool is gone, its gone (although you can save it to a channel)

i recommend using the lasso tool, its easier for beginners

Last edited by Esper on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:53 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

redheadhenny: if the image has an alpha channel and you have a selection with marching ants around the object, there's no need to do anything before you click select ->invert. but don't click inside your image after you have your selection, that will turn the selection off.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:14 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Esper wrote:
RedheadHenny wrote:

the first and the last nodes you made must be connected

when you use the path tool hold STRG before you make the last node, and click in the first node
that finishes the path, click selection from path and then the marching ants should appear, after that you invert the selection

its a tiny bit different with the lasso tool:
you just click in the first node without the need to hold down STRG and it should connect resulting in marching ants = your selection

the good thing about the path tool is that the path you made it automatically saved to the paths tab
on the other hand when a selection done with the lasso tool is gone, its gone (although you can save it to a channel)

i recommend using the lasso tool, its easier for beginners

I tried the path tool because it seemed to be easier for me and I did what you said but the marching ants went around the picture instead of around where I clicked. At least I got the little marching ants this time though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:27 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
redheadhenny: if the image has an alpha channel and you have a selection with marching ants around the object, there's no need to do anything before you click select ->invert. but don't click inside your image after you have your selection, that will turn the selection off.

I just realized after I paste my second picture above the first one, the "Add Alpha Channel" turned grey.. I don't know if that matters at all but it wasn't grey when I had just the one picture.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:35 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

i guess it means it already has an alpha channel, thats why its greyed out (you cant add an alpha channel twice so to speak - each picture has/needs only one alpha channel)

maybe this video is helpful ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2oLbJ1O_o

there are really lots of good tutorials on youtube
just search "Gimp + render" for example

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:18 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Esper wrote:
i guess it means it already has an alpha channel, thats why its greyed out (you cant add an alpha channel twice so to speak - each picture has/needs only one alpha channel)

maybe this video is helpful ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2oLbJ1O_o

there are really lots of good tutorials on youtube
just search "Gimp + render" for example

It worked! Thank you so much! One last question: now that the picture is rendered, how can I place it onto this striped picture I have? am I going to have to save what I've done, create new and open the striped picture and then...? or can I just copy and paste somehow? I just tried clicking "Edit > Copy Visible" and made a new window with the picture I want to use for the new background and clicked paste but nothing happened.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:28 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

great !

you can copy your picture, then go to 'Edit' -> 'Paste as -> New Layer' to put it "on top" of an existing image
that should be the easiest method

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:38 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Esper wrote:
great !

you can copy your picture, then go to 'Edit' -> 'Paste as -> New Layer' to put it "on top" of an existing image
that should be the easiest method

That worked too. Thank you again for your help! And AnMal if you are reading this, thank you too! I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:58 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

redheadhenny: you're welcome! most people here are incredibly helpful, you'll learn to expect it if you stay around :).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:54 am  (#15) 
Retired Staff

Another way you can do it is in this tutorial: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16