It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Font Won't Show Up
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:13 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Today I upgraded from a 2.6 version of Gimp to 2.8.4 in an attempt to solve this rather vexing problem.

First, sorry about posting a problem as my introduction. I'm not usually that guy, but I'm truly stuck with this one.

I'm working on a project modifying some existing poster art that already contains a font called Plaza Swash. The originator sent me the font for installation into my (Mac) system, which I did using Font Book. No problem there as Plaza Swash shows up in the list as being perfectly accessible. However, using the text tool in Gimp, this font does not appear in the list. It does appear in every other program I have that can access fonts, I just cannot get it to appear in Gimp. I really need to use this font, too. As I said I'm modifying existing work and I need my work to match. This is not the fist time I've installed new fonts, it's just the first time I cannot get one to work. It is a true type font and shouldn't present a problem.

I'm stuck. Has anyone had this issue and found a solution?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Font Won't Show Up
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:22 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

We have some Mac users here in this forum so maybe one of them can help you. I am not familiar with the setting up in Mac.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:24 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

normally you copy a new font to your Gimp user folder, but you can also make Gimp to load fonts from other folders

Edit -> Preferences -> Folders (at the bottom) -> Fonts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:33 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Came across a similar problem but not in a Mac context.

You could try converting the font to otf (or one of the other formats)

http://www.freefontconverter.com/

then as other posts put in the gimp fonts folder, wherever that might be in a Mac.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:37 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

welcome to gimp chat, weitrhino! i'm pretty sure you have all the advice you need by now - gimp 2.8< handles fonts and brushes and stuff a bit differently from gimp 2.6 and i was confused about fonts not showing up automatically too when i upgraded.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 pm  (#6) 

This keeps getting weirder.

Plaza Swash is a postscript type 1 font. When I point the fontconverter web app to it and click convert the fontconverter simply states "Invalid font file, did you remember to choose one?" But this font shows up in Word, etc. so I know it's ok.

In the Mac world you typically use Fontbook to manage fonts for the system and that's seems to be how Gimp reads all the other fonts. Plaza Swash is only the second additional font I've installed, the first being Edwardian which works perfectly in Gimp. But I still can't get Plaza Swash to show up and it's very frustrating. No matter where I put this font Gimp doesn't recognize it. Why would that be?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:14 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

weitrhino wrote:
This keeps getting weirder.

Plaza Swash is a postscript type 1 font. When I point the fontconverter web app to it and click convert the fontconverter simply states "Invalid font file, did you remember to choose one?" But this font shows up in Word, etc. so I know it's ok.

In the Mac world you typically use Fontbook to manage fonts for the system and that's seems to be how Gimp reads all the other fonts. Plaza Swash is only the second additional font I've installed, the first being Edwardian which works perfectly in Gimp. But I still can't get Plaza Swash to show up and it's very frustrating. No matter where I put this font Gimp doesn't recognize it. Why would that be?
I would not trust Word for whether a font is good or not. I would trust Scribus because I know it will not load questionable fonts. Have you thought about loading the font in FontForge, Inkscape Font Editor or a similar font program and exporting from there?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:37 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

@weitrhino
A bit more info required, your first post said it was a truetype font, your last one said postscript type 1.
These usually come in pairs 'something.pfb', with a metrics file 'something.pfm' there is also a 'something.afm' which is a combinted font/metrics format.

What is the suffix of the "Plaza Swash" font? This is a commercial font so I do not have a copy of it.

On my PClinuxOS & Gimp 2.8.2, a .pfb font in my local ./gimp-2.8/fonts folder works fine. Had to hunt for a .afm file but that works as well.

As the last post don't trust Word, FontForge might be well worth trying to get it working in Gimp.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:24 pm  (#9) 

It is a post script font. I first called it a truetype font based on the info supplied by the one who gave me the font but closer inspection revealed it to be post script.

Rich, your bit f information was just what I needed. Turns out the guy who supplied the font in a zip file forgot to include the .afm file. I'm no font and graphics expert so I wouldn't have known to ask him about it without your tip. So thanks for that! I trashed the original version in Font Book and installed the properly zipped version I just received. All is well.