It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help!
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:34 am  (#1) 
Global Moderator

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7 Home - Premium
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
G'MIC

List any ERROR messages you received:
The procedure entry point deflateSetHeader could not be located in the dynamic link library zlib1.dll

I had been having trouble with Gimp and mostly G'MIC before I installed version 1.5.5.2. More trouble after installing it so I uninstalled Gimp and G'MIC. I have reinstalled Gimp but it will not open for me. Instead I get the error above. Can it be rectified? I am lost without my toy. Like to play with all the scripts etc. I would have had it for approx 10 years. On different computers of course and I cannot imagine going without it now.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Help!
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:06 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Maybe zlib1.dll too old?
Try this one.
Check, if there are more than only one zlib1.dll in your path. Remember, every program will use the first one it finds (searching from start of path). If gimp finds an other (old) zlib before this one, it will use the old one. And the error occurs...

Attachments:
zlib1_32.zip [44.65 KiB]
Downloaded 189 times
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:34 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

@ Onkel Hatti - Am not cluey on paths in my computer. Where would I look? Thanks for the download but I wouldn't know what to do with it either :( .

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:30 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

It stops responding while the splash screen is up. While it is querying new plug-ins
Specifically 'gimp_gmic.exe'

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:12 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Just realized something. I have installed the gimp I downloaded this evening & have the shortcut on my desktop but I cannot open any gimp files on my computer (xcf?) They just show up as white rectangles and not wilbers.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:15 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Deleting or renaming the zlib.dll file in the plug-ins folder probably would have been enough.
Gimp see's dual dll files as none.So if you download a plugin and it contains a dll file look in the gimp bin folder first to see if one already exists.If it does add the plugin but not the dll file that came with it.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:31 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

This problem occurs many times, so an explanation:

Click your windows button in the lower left corner.
Type 'cmd' in the search field and press Enter. A "command window"/"Terminal", whatever it is called in english, opens.
Type 'set' in the command window.
Scroll up, until you see an entry starting with 'path='
There you see many pathes, windows has stored. You see all pathes, valid for all users, as well as valid only for you.
Programs and DLL's in one of these pathes are found automatically by windows. In the sequence of the pathes stored in that entry.

So, if you have a dll in more than one of these pathes and a programm needs it, it will search the sequence of the pathes. The first one found is taken. If it is an older version, the program will fail. Programs searches always for the name of a dll, load it and after it has loaded the dll, it searches for the entry. Programs do not unload a dll and search for the next one, if the entry wasn't found. They simply throw an error.

How can you change the 'path' entry? I could tell you in german, but I don't know the titles of the windows in english. My windows is in german, of course...