It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GIMP does not open. Fonts not the problem?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:57 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Tap try this. - CLOSE GIMP first -
Go to your C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.8.4\etc\gimp\2.0 directory and see if there is a gimprc file there.If so copy it to your user/gimp-2.8 folder and try and start Gimp again.

If it isn't there unzip the attached file into your C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.8.4\etc\gimp\2.0 directory, and the user/gimp-2.8 directory
Restart Gimp.

IMPORTANT -
Do NOT open the file in a text editor or you could possibly save it as txt and then it will not work correctly.

Well, unfortunately, that didn't work. I tried both with the file I found in the etc folder and the one You sent.

BTW, when I was trying to solve it as a problem with incompatible fonts, I simply deleted all the fonts that Windows would let me delete from the fonts folder. Was that the right approach, or should I try to do it in a different manner? Because, well, what if it is a font problem after all?

It seems that roots of this problem reach much deeper. I'll still look for a less general solution first, but I think that I may have to reinstall Windows. It's probably the time to do that when problems like this occur.

Edit:
Oh, and I finally checked the environmental variables, and found one concerning Gimp. Removing the info didn't help though.

This is its value:
C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.8.4\bin;%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;D:\FPC\2.4.2\bin\i386-Win32

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:32 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Tap wrote:
Rod wrote:
Tap try this. - CLOSE GIMP first -
Go to your C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.8.4\etc\gimp\2.0 directory and see if there is a gimprc file there.If so copy it to your user/gimp-2.8 folder and try and start Gimp again.

If it isn't there unzip the attached file into your C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.8.4\etc\gimp\2.0 directory, and the user/gimp-2.8 directory
Restart Gimp.

IMPORTANT -
Do NOT open the file in a text editor or you could possibly save it as txt and then it will not work correctly.

Well, unfortunately, that didn't work. I tried both with the file I found in the etc folder and the one You sent.

BTW, when I was trying to solve it as a problem with incompatible fonts, I simply deleted all the fonts that Windows would let me delete from the fonts folder. Was that the right approach, or should I try to do it in a different manner? Because, well, what if it is a font problem after all?

It seems that roots of this problem reach much deeper. I'll still look for a less general solution first, but I think that I may have to reinstall Windows. It's probably the time to do that when problems like this occur.

Edit:
Oh, and I finally checked the environmental variables, and found one concerning Gimp. Removing the info didn't help though.

This is its value:
C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.8.4\bin;%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;D:\FPC\2.4.2\bin\i386-Win32

That is definitely the PATH variable you need so that is correct.Unless you moved the bin folder elsewhere. :lol
Sorry to hear that didn't work.I thought for sure that was the answer.Especially seeing Gimp loop like that.Oh well.
Hey don't be a stranger.There is a lot to learn here so keep coming back. :bigthup

I really wish we could have fixed your problem without going through a full windows re install.

The fonts being deleted shouldn't be a problem because windows will not let you delete the fonts it uses to run.
Hey one more thing you can try.Sometimes Windows themes can mess with Gimp.Have you tried changing to a different theme?It's a long shot but sometimes you just never know. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:52 am  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Please send me a PM or leave me feedback on my website with a detailed description of what is happening, what you are expecting etc.

Thanks,
Partha

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:24 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

SOOOLVEEED!!!!

So, I've been thinking. What has changed in the system between the time GIMP was running fine and the time it didn't? Well, long story short, I remembered that I got a new mouse. I know, this is probably something I should have mentioned it in the first place since it is a significant change to the working environment after all. But honestly - we are talking about normal USB mouse for $5,60, one that you just plug in and it works - just like the one I've been using before. Thus, I didn't give it too much thought, and immediately forgot that I had new equipment installed.

So, to get to the point, I uninstalled the drivers, both from the old one I haven't been using (Here is an interesting guide on how to do it properly, if anyone in the future is looking at this thread) and the new one (it installed them immediately again, since the device was connected).

And well, right after that I tried to open GIMP... and it DID open this time.

Eh. See, there was absolutely no other visible problem caused by these drivers, and the mouse itself has worked perfectly. This is the exact kind of stuff which made me go into power engineering and not CS. :)

I'd really like to thank you all for your time and wisdom, :) Despite the fact that the cause turned out to be something different from what we expected, I learned a lot in the process. I will never forget this place. ^^

Last edited by Tap on Wed May 01, 2013 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:27 am  (#25) 
Global Moderator

Glad you have it all resolved Tap and hope you stick around and show us your stuff you do in GIMP.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:55 am  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Tap wrote:
SOOOLVEEED!!!!

So, I've been thinking. What has changed in the system between the time GIMP was running fine and the time it didn't? Well, long story short, I remembered that I got a new mouse. I know, this is probably something I should have mentioned it in the first place since it is a significant change to the working environment after all. But honestly - we are talking about normal USB mouse for $5,60, one that you just plug in and it works - just like the one I've been using before. Thus, I didn't give it too much thought, and immediately forgot that I had new equipment installed.

So, to get to the point, I uninstalled the drivers, both from the old one I haven't been using (Here is an interesting guide on how to do it properly, if anyone in the future is looking at this thread) and the new one (it installed them immediately again, since the device was connected).

And well, right after that I tried to open GIMP... and it DID open this time.

Eh. See, there was absolutely no other visible problem caused by these drivers, and the mouse itself has worked perfectly. This is the exact kind of stuff which made me go into power engineering and not CS. :)

I'd really like to thank you all for your time and wisdom, :) Despite the fact that the cause turned out to be something different from what we expected, I learned a lot in the process. I will never forget this place. ^^

Fantastic news Tap.I will edit the topic to show solved so others can read through it also that may have this similar problem.As Molly mentioned we can't wait to see what you do with Gimp and that new mouse. :paint :gimp :bigthup

Post subject: Re: GIMP does not open. Fonts not the problem? (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:51 am  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

I'm glad you solved it.
Never heard of this issue affecting GIMP but certainly not an impossible scenario.