It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my sketching lines are ragged [SOLVED]
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:19 am  (#1) 
Global Moderator

GIMP Version: 6.8.2
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Linux Fedora 17
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I am having problems in the settings for sketching in Gimp.
Notice the screen shot below. I used the smallest hard brush set at 1 px and moved it up to different sizes and all my lines are jagged and they jump all over the place.
I wrote down 3 of the settings I don't understand what they mean.
Fade options, quality and weight. Would these 3 have any bearing on what is happening.
Also, where you see the red circle, the brush follows behind about 10 pixels and things fade out. I couldn't get a screen shot of how far behind the cursor was from the actual line.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: my sketching lines are ragged
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:29 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Try to reset to default values in the brush tool options molly (tool options>yellow arrows)
I'm not sure what kind of line you're after but why Pressure opacity? Are you using tablet pen to draw with enabled pressure sensitivity?
Strokes lagging behind Brush outline has nothing to do with settings, though. It's more likely hardware (tablet) or software (gimp's
lack of graphics acceleration support) problems.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:35 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Okay Kit, I will try those things. Yes I am using the tablet pen to draw. Should I have that pressure sensivity turned off. I am not familiar with all these dynamics yet and find them very confusing.
I would like to be able to sketch pictures I want to paint, but when I do, the lines fly all over the place, I will reset everything and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:40 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Okay Kit, I will try those things. Yes I am using the tablet pen to draw. Should I have that pressure sensivity turned off. I am not familiar with all these dynamics yet and find them very confusing.
I would like to be able to sketch pictures I want to paint, but when I do, the lines fly all over the place, I will reset everything and see what happens.

No, don't turn off pressure sensitivity. Just try to reset first and we'll go from there.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:46 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

Don't use the pencil tool for drawing. The edges will always be aliased. Use the paintbrush tool instead, with dynamics.

I also still like the ink took with a tablet. I haven't found a good dynamics setting that duplicates it.

-RobA>

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:52 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

:oops: Thank you RobA..I have never used the ink tool but I will try it. Actually, I did know a long time ago about the pencil tool giving ragged lines. I forgot...

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:56 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

RobA, do you use the ink tool all the time for your mapping? It seems to flow very nicely.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:09 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

My Gimp is still acting up. I thought it was fixed but it just won't follow a straight line. I try to outline the lips with the paint brush and the line jumps to a different direction. When I try to erase, the eraser goes in the wrong direction and erases stuff I just fixed. I don't know what to do next. I clicked the little yellow arrow at the bottom to make it default and that doesn't help either. I am posting my xcf if anyone would be kind enough to take a look at it. I am soooo frustrated the way this is acting.

Attachments:
lips.xcf [90.74 KiB]
Downloaded 81 times

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:37 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Molly, I downloaded your xcf and I don't see anything wrong. Double check to be sure that "view > snap to guide" is off or the line will try to jump to a guide when it gets near.

Assuming that the above is ok, try it with the "dynamics off" selected to see if brush dynamics is causing this. If it works on "dynamics off" then go back to "pressure opacity" and click the pencil icon to it's right. This will bring up the matrix - be sure that the only thing checked is the opacity row / pressure column. I don't think that this could have been changed (without creating a new dynamic) but its worth looking.

I don't have the other two settings you mentioned...I use Gimp 2.8.2 so I don't know about "Quality" or "Weight".

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:29 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Thank you Jas, I will look at that right away. Had to go and cook supper. I wish I was using 2.8.2. I don't think I had all these problems until it did the automatic update to 2.8.4

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:13 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

The culpert was view -->snap to guide. :oops: :oops:
Now there is another problem that I am working on now. This is so crazy. All my layers are transparent, except the bottom one which is white but does have an alpha channel. Now, I got the guide at the top, I have my lip layer down lower, nothing in between except the pallettes which isn't blocking anything.
I have my guides turned on with my lip outline but I can't see the guides in my lip layer. When I turn on the white layer at the bottom, I can't see the guide layer that is on the top. Now, I have never seen anything like this.
Anyway, now I can draw straight lines so that one is out of the way. grrrr. Think I will go back to water colors. much easier.
Thank you Jas.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:28 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Molly: That is a strange problem. It might help you to know that I can see the "guide" on both your "lip" and Background layers on the xcf that you posted earlier, so something must have changed. Is it possible that you put a layer in some blend mode other than "normal"? If not, I can't think of anything else to cause what you are describing.

One thing that is different on your first xcf and the one you are describing is that the Background layer does not have an Alpha channel on the one I downloaded. This would not cause any problems itself, but does show that some changes were made. If you can backtrack through those changes mentally, you may find the culprit.

Thanks for reminding me that those were under smooth stroke... I had completely forgotten.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:35 pm  (#13) 
Global Moderator

I have never ever seen anythang like it. I am going to post it here just so you can see what I am talking about. I have changed all the layers around every way I know how. I have a full sketch in the guides layer, but do you think I can get at it in another layer?

Attachments:
lips3.xcf [111.76 KiB]
Downloaded 54 times

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:59 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Molly: The problem is that the guide layer is in Overlay mode... change it to normal and you will see everything.

That was a great result. I think the lips were the most natural looking so far. :clap

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:10 pm  (#15) 
Global Moderator

Thanks Jas, you are a marvel. I thought I checked all the layers for everything. I will take one one look before I turn in to see it.

Wow, just looked and how stupid I am not to have found that. so cool. Now, cross my toes almost everything is good to go. :pengy :tyspin

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:15 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Molly: One last thing now about the "smooth stroke" settings. After a little experimentation, the line does lag behind the brush when the "weight" setting is raised. I rarely check that box (although I probably should).