It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp 2.8.2 and Photo Ninja
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:04 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.2
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: W8
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Hello folks.

Following my disgust with Adobe, I installed Gimp successfully and am beginning to appreciate it.
I also looked for a raw converter, tried about 5, and settled on Photo Ninja, which seems extremely good.
Does anyone know by chance, how to get the Gimp to open the rendered raw instantaneously on completion? That is to say, I set up a raw process on a file, then render to an open Gimp editor all in one go.
Why do I want this? Speed. Sometimes I need to prep 1000 files in a short time, but they all start as raw.
I know this isnt exclusively a Gimp question, but any help would really be nice.
Thank you.

LJLC

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.2 and Photo Ninja
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:05 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you. Yes, I too hope someone can help.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:21 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Have you looked at UFRaw?
I'd update your Microsoft Camera Codec Pack for Windows 8 if you haven't already.
Your camera vendor might have the right software for prepossessing. For example, I use Canon Digital Photo Professional for batch processing.
Also, RawTherapee and photivo are worth a look.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:29 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

You might need to install UFRaw plugin for gimp and since it's so OS environment specific the workflow
might differ machine to machine. I don't have to deal with hundreds of raw images but when i have to process several raw images
my set-up allows me to select them and drag to open gimp. It first opens raw files one by one in UFRaw editor then clicking OK
opens it up in GIMP window. Of course, the color depth is reduced to 8 bits per channel.

Standalone UFRaw does have a button for external editor but it's functionality broken for gimp 2.8 but works fine for 2.6.
I also use Raw Therapee since it has batch processing mode but when you use the external editor it opens up in gimp only as TIFF.
Never tried Ninja, so not much help i can offer here.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:51 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you, folks. One of my problems is a neurotic fixation with Photo Ninja Raw. It's probably the most intuitive, (for me), and best converter I've tried, and I've tried most. YMMV of course.