It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing SCM ,Python and plug-ins for Mac
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:13 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Download your script/plug-in

The script-fu scripts are kept inside the application resource package:
Go to the Gimp application and control-click on it;
select 'Show Package Contents';
go to Contents>Resources>share>gimp>2.0>scripts;
and insert the script-fu script.

If Gimp is running, activate the script by going to Filters in the menu and select Script-Fu>Refresh Scripts.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Installing SCM ,Python and plug-ins for Mac
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:58 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I had no problem with any of those installations but I did with G'MIC which is different to install on a mac to the other plugins and scripts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:20 pm  (#3) 

HI....GIMP is frustrating me more than I had expected. I have GIMP 2.8.2 for MAC with Mountain Lion, I got the GIMP from lisanet.de. I am trying to install a 3rd party Python script called "Spirograph". I DL'd it, clicked on it, got an X-Code version, but now what do I do with it?

I don't know where to put it, I don't know how to get any new plug-ins into GiMP. I feel like I am trying to steer an ocean liner with a couple of canoe paddles.

Can anyone help this very very very newbie to GiMP? Thanks!

P.S. I tried the method on the very first post but I don't know if it worked or not? What would show up if it did?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:54 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Python plug-ins don't go in the script folder, they go into the plug-in folder.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:33 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

jahess wrote:
HI....GIMP is frustrating me more than I had expected. I have GIMP 2.8.2 for MAC with Mountain Lion, I got the GIMP from lisanet.de. I am trying to install a 3rd party Python script called "Spirograph". I DL'd it, clicked on it, got an X-Code version, but now what do I do with it?

I don't know where to put it, I don't know how to get any new plug-ins into GiMP. I feel like I am trying to steer an ocean liner with a couple of canoe paddles.

Can anyone help this very very very newbie to GiMP? Thanks!

P.S. I tried the method on the very first post but I don't know if it worked or not? What would show up if it did?

Unlike OP, I think it´s better to put scripts and plugins in the Gimp user folder. In case You delete Gimp from Applications, You lose all your plugins too unless You have them backupped somewhere.
The problem with Lion and later is that user folder is hidden. You can access it by holding option button and it will show up in Go menu.
User/Library/Application Support/Gimp/plug-ins or scripts.

For most plugins and scripts You also need to enable executable permission for admin/user. Otherwise it won´t show up at all in Gimp.
Easiest way to do this is to use a freeware tool called "BatCHMod". You can get it from Macupdate or straight from Lagentesoft.

I did see this pin is quite old but it could help new Mac Gimp users. I myself was not a huge fan in the Mac side until 2.8 release.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:26 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I always back them up in any case. But with the newer version of GIMP, 2.8, my experience is that they are picked up by the next generation of GIMP in any case. Also, if they use parthas version of GIMP there is no need for installing a lot of the add ons as they come built in...such as G'mic. So unless they are relatively newer scripts or python plugins they are mostly all there in the download....regarding enabling executable p[ermission...I'm a seasoned mac user..we dont touch executable stuff at all usually ...I've never had to enable it. But I'm curious about that BatchMod, what ever it is. I've never heard of it and never had a need for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:28 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Accessing the user library is fairly simple if you know how but there is a thing called Lion Tweaks or Mountain Lion tweaks, a free product which will allow the user library to be made permanently visible.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:45 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Just notice this ... it's called Secrets or Secrets Prefpane or something like that to let you see hidden files and folders. They will show up greyed out but then you r-click them and open.
While I am here, I have pretty much forgotten how to remove Partha's McGimp in order to download his newest one...I want to have the newest GMic as mine is stuck at 414 filters and needs upgrading so I can access some of the newer filters. IIRC, I just need to move the old McGimp from Applications to another place, then download the newest one he has and it will self-install to applications, but I'm not really positive if that is correct.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:27 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

2-ton wrote:
Just notice this ... it's called Secrets or Secrets Prefpane or something like that to let you see hidden files and folders. They will show up greyed out but then you r-click them and open.
While I am here, I have pretty much forgotten how to remove Partha's McGimp in order to download his newest one...I want to have the newest GMic as mine is stuck at 414 filters and needs upgrading so I can access some of the newer filters. IIRC, I just need to move the old McGimp from Applications to another place, then download the newest one he has and it will self-install to applications, but I'm not really positive if that is correct.

I have both on my iMac but chose to use the newer GIMP version. Having said that, I find I cannot update GMIC at the moment at all...not sure why. Limited to 400 filters...and I am wondering why or have I missed a version update or something for mac users. I have the latest version of OSX 10.11.5

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:33 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

If you are using McGimp, then you cannot update filters sometimes...because the GMIC is natively programed into the Gimp, so any differences in the filter codings prevent the updating...or something like that. It seems to depend on the GMic version. If you have the newest Gmic in your mcgimp, it updates fine, but as soon as there is a newer GMic, then you cannot update filters anymore. I don't really understand it all, that is just how I look at it.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:00 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

2-ton wrote:
If you are using McGimp, then you cannot update filters sometimes...because the GMIC is natively programed into the Gimp, so any differences in the filter codings prevent the updating...or something like that. It seems to depend on the GMic version. If you have the newest Gmic in your mcgimp, it updates fine, but as soon as there is a newer GMic, then you cannot update filters anymore. I don't really understand it all, that is just how I look at it.

I have found hte same with Lisa's version and that may be why I cannot update them...so you have sorted me on that one 2-ton and thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:14 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Download your script/plug-in

The script-fu scripts are kept inside the application resource package:
Go to the Gimp application and control-click on it;
select 'Show Package Contents';
go to Contents>Resources>share>gimp>2.0>scripts;
and insert the script-fu script.

If Gimp is running, activate the script by going to Filters in the menu and select Script-Fu>Refresh Scripts.

I had to do this a different way for an older version of GIMP. Is there any way to avoid having to do the same steps all over again for the Paul Sullivan package of scripts? There's over a hundred last I checked.....

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:54 pm  (#13) 
Script Coder

You select them all in your navigator and drag/drop them the the "scripts" subdirectory of your Gimp profile.

On the other hand adding a hundred scripts without first checking that you have some use for them isn't a very good idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:38 am  (#14) 

Try checking the newline character (I think it should be UNIX), encoding and/or the correct indentation (after the other two) of the python script. That worked for me.