It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Python Install Question
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:48 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I'm going to be installing Python on my 2.6.11 version before too long. I read Rod's easy to understand tutorial here: http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2277

It says I have to uninstall my 2.6.11 version, go through the necessary steps, then reinstall. I don't want to lose the scripts, plugins, brushes, etc, I already have. Will I lose them when I reinstall? Should I do a backup of these folders?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Python Install Question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:32 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

The Warrior wrote:

I'm going to be installing Python on my 2.6.11 version before too long. I read Rod's easy to understand tutorial here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2277

It says I have to uninstall my 2.6.11 version, go through the necessary steps, then reinstall. I don't want to lose the scripts, plugins, brushes, etc, I already have. Will I lose them when I reinstall? Should I do a backup of these folders?

As long as your resources are in the UserName\.gimp-2.6 directory you will not lose them with a re - install or un - install.
That is the reason they are located there.So when you update Gimp the resource folders will still be there. :bigthup

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:36 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Just so you know, Gimp 2.8x includes Python.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:46 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
The Warrior wrote:

I'm going to be installing Python on my 2.6.11 version before too long. I read Rod's easy to understand tutorial here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2277

As long as your resources are in the UserName\.gimp-2.6 directory you will not lose them with a re - install or un - install.
That is the reason they are located there.So when you update Gimp the resource folders will still be there. :bigthup
Thanks Rod, appreciate it. Perhaps a dumb question, but, when I install a new script, etc, should I always put them there? I usually go through the c:programfile/gimp blah blah blah.

Last edited by The Warrior on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:47 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:

Is there a way to install 2.8, so that I can use 2.6, and 2.8?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:55 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

at no stage does it say you have to uninstall your 2-6-11 to install the python modules please re-read those instructions again carefully

and yes you can run 2.6 and 2.8 0n the same computer just download a 2.8 portable and install on your C:\ drive

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:02 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

The Warrior wrote:
Odinbc wrote:

Is there a way to install 2.8, so that I can use 2.6, and 2.8?

You really should install all resources into those sub folders. :)

You also should most definitely un - install Gimp-2.6 first then install python26, then gtk support (pygtk, pycairo, and pyobject), Then re - install Gimp-2.6 and select customize and make sure python is ticked.
Yes you can install gimp-2.8 along side Gimp-2.6.Gimp-2.8.4 has python support included so there is no need to install python for gimp-2.8.

If after you install Gimp-2.8.4 and Gimp-2.6 will not run check your variables for a value PATH that leads to the lib\babl folder and remove it.
It will look something like - C:\Program Files\gimp-2.8.4\lib\babl-0.1

You shouldn't have this problem but just in case i added the fix here. :bigthup

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:21 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
If I do install all resources in these folders, then I need to take the ones out I installed in c: programfiles/gimp etc, correct? Won't they be in there twice if I don't? Sorry, I'm a newb when it comes to these things.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:27 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

The Warrior wrote:
Rod wrote:
If I do install all resources in these folders, then I need to take the ones out I installed in c: programfiles/gimp etc, correct? Won't they be in there twice if I don't? Sorry, I'm a newb when it comes to these things.

You can either remove them to the .gimp-2.6\resources folders or un install and see if they remain. Gimp has a un install script so when it un installs it removes (usually), just what it installed.Everything else usually remains and this is one of the very reasons some people still have a C:\Program Files\gimp-2.xx folder still remaining. :)

If you install Gimp-2.x over another version usually you will lose everything you added.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:29 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Another thing you may want to consider is installing Parthas GImp-2.8.4 version as it will not uninstall the C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.0 folder. As far as i know the gimp.org version installer will.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:33 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Another thing you may want to consider is installing Parthas GImp-2.8.4 version as it will not uninstall the C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.0 folder. As far as i know the gimp.org version installer will.

My hard drive is partitioned into 2 drives, c, and d. I just installed Parthas portable 2.8 on my d drive. Was just firing it up as I read this.