It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BAtch processing
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:40 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Well here's my first official question of you gimpers..gimpies, gimps?

We have a need to add a copyright to images, several ways this can be accomplished but I was wondering if there was anyway for the Gimp to process multiple images by resizing, adding a transparent overlay with a copyright, merge it and save it as a jpg or other common file type.

Not asking for much I know... :wvy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: BAtch processing
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:17 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Yeap, that's a watermark. Thanks. But our needs are to watermark up to hundreds of images at a shot. Maybe we could make the watermark png and use someting else to merge the one file over the others.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:54 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Founder

You can most likely do this kind of thing with a gimp script or in batch mode but you might want to take a look at ImageMagick. It's a command line driven app that can run on the PC(client) or on the server side. It integrates nicely with php so you can resize your image and watermark it at "upload" time. There are probably already a few public domain scripts floating around that does just that.

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

http://pario.no/2007/12/30/resize-and-w ... agemagick/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:50 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

There are a couple python ones (which need python support that is not in the default windows installation):
http://registry.gimp.org/node/24487
http://registry.gimp.org/node/21834
http://registry.gimp.org/node/19288

And there are a couple scripts (scm files that work on any platform, theoretically) available here:
http://www.td-e.com/soft/watermark-it.php

There are comments that the scm scripts don't work under windows, I'm suspecting it is because of the use of the "/" for paths rather than the variable DIR-SEPARATOR (which giver the correct forward or backward slash depending on the system).

Never used any of them though, ymmv. If you pick one and need help getting it to work, just ask here and someone can help figure it out.

-Rob A.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:25 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the answers folks. Now the ImageMagick one, that may be interesting. We already have ImageMagick running on our website and I just got coppermine configured (switching from joomgallery, maybe migrating out of joomla! website completely).

here's the deall with the Coppermine solution, we would need it to be user based and opt in. User could upload what they want to watermark their image with and select what they watermark.

Now the fun question, anyone know of something out there that works like this out of the box?? :rofl OK...how about where to start?

Custom plugin for Coppermine. Guess it's study time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:45 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Founder

Moon Puppy wrote:
here's the deall with the Coppermine solution, we would need it to be user based and opt in. User could upload what they want to watermark their image with and select what they watermark.

Seems you could just create a custom field in their profile for the watermark/copyright image and overlay it on each image they upload. There are already a couple of mods for phpBB3 which do exactly that.

Out of curiosity, why are you considering abandoning joomla!?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:54 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

First, let me say that it's always scary, yet thrilling to google a term only to find yourself looking at something you already posted.. I googled migrate joomgallery to coppermine and this thread was on the first page...go figure.

Why get out of Joomla! Well this case is a prime example. Here you found mods that covers what we need. While there are a lot of things out there for Joomla! I find them limited in what they can actually do. It seems to work well out of the box and for basic CMS but to get down under the hood and customize the way you want it, forgetaboutit. At least for me.

I really came to this opinion while working with Coppermine, with the limited scripting experence I have I was able to change the way BBCodes are generated and even their labels. In doing so I finally saw how this stuff works. There are several things I would like to attempt with scripting but I think the Joomla! stuff will stop me.

Bottom line, I think it's more complex than it needs to be. Joomgallery is a prime example.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:33 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Xnview will do batch watermarks. It's not gimp but it's just as good for what it's meant to do.http://www.xnview.com/

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:28 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Founder

Moon Puppy wrote:
First, let me say that it's always scary, yet thrilling to google a term only to find yourself looking at something you already posted.. I googled migrate joomgallery to coppermine and this thread was on the first page...go figure.

That could be attributed to good SEO. ;)

GnuTux wrote:
Out of curiosity, why are you considering abandoning joomla!?
Moon Puppy wrote:
I really came to this opinion while working with Coppermine, with the limited scripting experence I have I was able to change the way BBCodes are generated and even their labels. In doing so I finally saw how this stuff works. There are several things I would like to attempt with scripting but I think the Joomla! stuff will stop me.

Bottom line, I think it's more complex than it needs to be.

Interesting. I've never played around with Coppermine. Guess I need to take a look at that. Thanks for the info. :bigthup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:47 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Gms9810 wrote:
Xnview will do batch watermarks. It's not gimp but it's just as good for what it's meant to do.http://www.xnview.com/

OMG, did I see they had a version for windows 3.1??? Talk about keeping your market open...Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:26 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I remember using Coppermine search engine a very long time ago. =)
Is that the same developer? I downloaded the software, i think i'll try it out too.
link - http://sourceforge.net/projects/coppermine/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:22 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I do not think so, I don't recall the coppermine search engine. Got me on that one.

Coppermine so far has been very friendly to use. With the VERY limited experience I have with working in codes I was able to change the BBCode output of a couple of plugins to strip the url tags and change the label on the fields. but keep in mind that the developers are in Germany and when you hit their support site they are, well, sort of fanatic about rules and very blunt in their statements. One can understand how wars are started when you talk to a German... :rofl

I made the new gallery public on our website last sat and we already have close to 500 images uploaded. It is not as integrated with Joomla! as the previous gallery system but it also is not as bloated as the joomgallery system. All I wanted was the HTML and BBCode tags generated.

here's my website.
http://www.modelersalliance.com/
http://www.modelersalliance.com/gallery is the coppermine site.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:49 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

http://registry.gimp.org/node/21834

This plug-in is designed for batch watermarking and resizing of image files. It lets you choose the directory which contains the images, the file extension, the font, the copyright text and the options associated with the processing. Useful for photographers who upload a lot of photos on the web and don't want to watermark every single file individually. The resulting images contain between one and four instances of the copyright text (selectable as an option). Also, if you select a single instance of the text, the position of the text can be set to the top, middle or bottom part of the image.

There is also a second watermarking script, which is based on a difference map. The watermark text is practically invisible, but can be easily recovered by using the original (non-watermarked) image. This is useful when an image needs to be protected but the text must not be visible for aesthetic reasons.

At present, the script does not perform any sanity checks, so don't give it single-pixel images to process :). Also, it takes a while to finish if there are a lot of images, especially if they are large, so stock up on patience!

As far as I can judge, it should work with all releases of GIMP which support python-fu.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:56 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, we'll give it a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:02 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I actually installed Coppermine on my server, i love it. =)
I have yet to customize it though to fit my site design, but i love the results so far.
My Image Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:46 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

My Coppermine would not be wrapped if it were not for the plugin that integrates between cpg and Joomla! I have edited the BBCode plug ins to be more descriptive of what they are and where they are used, as well as what size image they use.

Much easier to work with than that damn joomgallery monster thing we use to use. Now if there were a way to make the upload box show up in hte Kunena forum posting...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:51 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

That would be nice if i could integrate WordPress with Coppermine and include an upload box in my blog.