It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I cannot get text to appear in text boxes
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

I have been using 2.6.8 (I think) occasionally for a while to do fairly basic cleanups and crops on photos. Today I have a precious family photo that I have cropped to a tidy image. I have just spent about 3 hours trying to put some text below it (this is the first time I have tried to do this), I did: text tool, draw text box, type in text. Nothing at all appears in the text box. So I tried making a new slightly larger layer for the text, and putting a text box below the photo in that, in case trying to write outside the cropped area was the problem. Same happened. So I tried writing inside the image area - same result. I looked around the Web, where Youtube shows it working. So as all the online help seems to be about versions 2.8... and show some things different in detail, I thought I'd better uninstall my 2.6... and get up to date, so I did that. Then, on looking for a download, I find that the web site is evasive about having options for current versions of Windows (I have been on W7 64 bit since Jan 2010, best OS I have ever used) and installation problems under W7 are a topic of discussion (which concerns me considerably). Ayway, I've now downloaded a version frm SourceForge. I have tried putting text in a box and it still does not work.
Would someone please try and explain what if anything I'm doing wrong? Can someone please tell me how one does put text below an image? If anyone can direct me to some task-oriented tutorials I would also be very grateful.
Thanks for any replies.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: I cannot get text to appear in text boxes
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:19 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Open your photo in Gimp.
Click your text tool :text
change the font to size you would like your text to be.
That will go on a separate layer. Center your text how you would like it to show on your image and move with the move tool :move When you are satisified with the results save as an XCF so you save your layers then save with File - Export to your desktop or where ever you like. I save as a png.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:00 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hi thanks for your reply. I've been doing what you said, which is actually what I was doing before, but the text box stays resolutely blank. However I do notice that a cursor in the text box moves in unison with what I type in the text editor box, so something is happening but no text is showing. I have done a screen capture to show this happening, and have uploaded it. I hope that you can see it.

Attachments:
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG [ 980.36 KiB | Viewed 22260 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:18 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Did you notice what color you had selected for the text? If white is selected, it won't show. If you can post your xcf file from the attachment tab, we would get a better idea what is going on.
Save your xcf to desktop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:28 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

you're trying to enter text in the textbox outside image boundaries,
no wonder you can't see any text.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:15 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

jonbee wrote:
Hi thanks for your reply. I've been doing what you said, which is actually what I was doing before, but the text box stays resolutely blank. However I do notice that a cursor in the text box moves in unison with what I type in the text editor box, so something is happening but no text is showing.

Not only is the cursor moving, your text is actually being created on the new layer. As others have pointed out, you are not seeing the text because the layer lies outside the boundaries of the image canvas. If you move the layer onto the image canvas, the text will be visible (this behavior is similar for any layers, not just text).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:05 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks everyone for your most helpful replies. My picture of how GIMP works is much clearer and I have followed the steps laid out bu conbagui which have 100% solved my problem!! :tyspin