It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing the color of multiple layers of a .gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:29 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.8
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Howdy!

I'm making a desktop clock in Java that will call up a method which randomly selects differently-colored .gif animations representing each digit of the time. These animations should look like they are being drawn on the screen, in a child's handwriting, and in crayon. So I'd want .gifs for 0 through 9, :, am, and pm. And these are rendered atop an image of paper from a Big Chief tablet. When the time changes (every minute), the program repeats this process.

Using a Wacom Bamboo Create, I drew out a "9" in child's handwriting (which looks exactly like my own!) and used Alpha-to-Selection to outline the shape. I used a large pencil in the Dissolve mode to try to get a crayon effect. And after alternating between coloring a bit and duplicating the layer, I have a decent-looking animation of a red "9" being drawn on the screen ... 54 whooping layers!

So ... is there a quick way to change the color so that I don't have to repeat this process for the green, pink, and blue "9," and then the rest of the numbers?

And while we're on the subject, does my strategy sound like the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Edited: GIMP 2.8.8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Changing the color of multiple layers of a .gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:33 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

you could go to color > colorize

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:00 pm  (#3) 
Do you have GAP installed? (Gimp Animation Package)
If so use Filter All Layers, plugin/script, it has a Colorize option.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:22 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

fluffybunny wrote:

Yes! :yes That did it! Thanks!

Now that I'm thinking about it, is there a way to change the sizes of all layers at the same time? I'm not seeing anything in that same menu that looks like an obvious re-sizer.

Attachments:
9 blue.gif
9 blue.gif [ 6.64 KiB | Viewed 11364 times ]
9 red.gif
9 red.gif [ 6.75 KiB | Viewed 11364 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:27 pm  (#5) 
NFiorentini wrote:
fluffybunny wrote:

Yes! :yes That did it! Thanks!

Now that I'm thinking about it, is there a way to change the sizes of all layers at the same time? I'm not seeing anything in that same menu that looks like an obvious re-sizer.

When you say change the sizes, do you mean Scale or Crop or do you mean the layer's boundaries sizes?
Maybe Image->Canvas Size is your solution, it has a Layers Resize option at the end of the dialog?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:43 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

NFiorentini wrote:

Image/Scale Image resizes everything.

You can also chain the layers, and then use the Scale tool on one of them, they will all be scaled to match.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:53 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
NFiorentini wrote:

You can also chain the layers, and then use the Scale tool on one of them, they will all be scaled to match.

That did the trick!

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm  (#8) 
NFiorentini wrote:
ofnuts wrote:
NFiorentini wrote:

That did the trick!

Thanks everyone!

Hint: To avoid the jagged edges sometimes caused by scaling, you should try to create your images at the final size you want them to be and use the Zoom (magnification) while creating small images - if it is hard to see your work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:21 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

fluffybunny wrote:
Hint: To avoid the jagged edges sometimes caused by scaling, you should try to create your images at the final size you want them to be and use the Zoom (magnification) while creating small images - if it is hard to see your work.

That right there sounds like awesome advice! When I first started learning GIMP two weeks ago, I set my default to the dimensions of my monitor and 300 dpi, figuring that I could go back later to ensmallenate the images as needed.
:oops:

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:52 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
NFiorentini wrote:

Any way of doing that in one click. I do .gif's... sometimes 100's in on. Does anything else worked chained, besides Scale?? THX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:56 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

designline wrote:
ofnuts wrote:
NFiorentini wrote:

Any way of doing that in one click. I do .gif's... sometimes 100's in on. Does anything else worked chained, besides Scale?? THX

If you hold the shift key down when your click on the chain it will link all layers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:12 pm  (#12) 
designline wrote:
ofnuts wrote:
NFiorentini wrote:

As He4rty said, try Shift clicking and CTRL SHIFT clicking the 'chain' icon (and the 'eye' icon) to set and clear multiple settings, experiment and you will see what I mean.

As ofnuts posted in another thread "All the transform tools (scale/move/rotate/flip/shear/perspective)... can be applied to several layers at the same time if you "chain" them".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:39 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Thank You !