It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Copying/Cloning Layer Shapes?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:01 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: Mavericks
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Good evening folks,

So tonight I crafted the perfect shape for a design I placed on a t-shirt mock-up template using the warp tool.

I have another design very similar that I'd like in the shape of the 1st design. Is it possible to copy and paste somehow the warp elements of the original design to the latter?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Copying/Cloning Layer Shapes?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:02 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Is my question perhaps confusing? :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:09 am  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
otherwhirl wrote:

You must mean IWarp. I don't know of any way to save the setting used in IWarp.
Also, I don't know of any way to use the same exact setting on different images. That's interesting, I've never thought about doing this.

I did try Iwarping an image on one layer, then went to repeat the IWarp settings another layer, but the IWarp settings were all normal ie. I had to input settings, and I couldn't see any way to save the settings.

Last edited by Wallace on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:15 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Yeah, iWarp (figured since it appears to be the only warp tool in Gimp folks would know :mrgreen: ...)

Hmmm... i just knew this one would be a common possibility, i guess not. LOL.

Yes, perhaps it's not a matter of saving iWarp settings, as much as it is mapping the shape of my first design? So that the 2nd design will look the same in terms of it's shape.

*By the way i'm just using text...

Wallace wrote:
otherwhirl wrote:

You must mean IWarp. I don't know of any way to save the setting used in IWarp.
Also, I don't know of any way to use the same exact setting on different images. That's interesting, I've never thought about doing this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:25 am  (#5) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
otherwhirl wrote:
Yeah, iWarp (figured since it appears to be the only warp tool in Gimp folks would know :mrgreen: ...)

Hmmm... i just knew this one would be a common possibility, i guess not. LOL.

I thought the same thing, but then again it's not something I've ever needed, or wanted to do. It does seem like it could be a possibility.
Perhaps there someone else here that knows more about IWarp then I do, that can confirm this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:53 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

otherwhirl: there is no way of saving settings in iwarp to get the same result twice. but if all you want to do with the designs is to put them on a tshirt it seems to me that would be a lot easier using the displacement map and then you'd get the exact same result as long as you placed your designs similarly and used the same tshirt as a displacement map. or was it something else you were trying to do?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:04 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I don't think it is possible to "Re-Create" the same Iwarp effects as it's not really possible to get the same exact effects even using the IWarp filter INTERACTIVELY. The user is moving pixels around to other image areas. I highly doubt those actions could be duplicated to look the same on other colors and images.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:12 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

conbagui wrote:
I take a screen shot of the Filter settings when I'm creating something. If I'm recreating the same Image or another image I can use the same setting recorded in the shot. :)

Yes but with IWarp you are not only setting the brush values you are moving pixels on the preview. :) Those can not be copied to the clipboard.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:51 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

conbagui wrote:
Yes Rod you're right, you would have to recreate the same movement in the the previews window in order to archive the same results.

Exactly so this probably could not be scripted. There is however another plug-in named warp. I believe that uses a displacement map and could possibly be included within or called from a script to use the same pixel movements.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:22 pm  (#10) 
Script Coder

I was also going to mention the map, displace filter. If you could create a displacement map with the same effect as the warping it could be repeatedly applied.

-RobA>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:16 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Hmmm... seems odd that something so detailed could not quickly be duplicated. After all even as detailed as it appears it's just data at the end of the day. (well in my mind at least...)

I can't see someone who say had 10 or more designs all in the same shape/layout scheme, inputting the data one by one for something so monotonous, but then again what do I KNOW... (apparently not much... :hehe beat ya!)

So it sounds like I need to make a displacment map of the design I want to copy (design #1)

Thus far i've only created maps for texture/shading f/x, so i'm not clear exactly as to how to actually apply a displacement map in this case to duplicate the actual properties of design #1 for design #2.

I have uploaded an example image.
*Note the design is just random so pay it no mind in terms of complexity.

So you see the black t-shirt mock-up with the design 'boss' on the front.

If I had other designs, same style font and other attributes such as size with other text (say like 'toss' & 'cross'...) I would want a fast method I could easily go in and change the words while maintaining all other properties layered over 2 separate t-shirt templates.

Get it guys?

What's the simplest solution?

Thanks!

p.s. pardon the duplicate image , just ignore it please

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 4.04.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 4.04.16 PM.png [ 65.09 KiB | Viewed 913 times ]
Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 4.04.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 4.04.16 PM.png [ 65.09 KiB | Viewed 913 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:59 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Attachment:
tee-tu.xcf [2.01 MiB]
Downloaded 67 times
otherwhirl: yes, of course you're right - it is possible to do this, very easily too. it's just that when this thread started everyone of us assumed you were trying to do the warping using the filter called "iwarp" and maybe we were wrong? the thing is, if you used the iwarp tool, you did all the warping by hand, and it's not possible to reproduce it automatically, you'd just have to do the same over and over again, for every time you wanted a new design on the tee. but if you instead use the displacement map filter (filters -> map -> displace) it's very easy to just repeat the filter for every new design and get the same result. i have attached an xcf where i did just that, in case you want to look at it. in that image, i just placed guides where the center of the text design needed to be to get the text where i wanted it (because if you run the displacement filter on a design it will move a little. i did some experimenting first to find out where to put the text.), then i typed two versions of the text i wanted and ran the filter with the same settings on both of them. in this case it looked good on default settings.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:40 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Hey AnMal,

thanks i'll give it a try!

AnMal wrote:
Attachment:
tee-tu.xcf
otherwhirl: yes, of course you're right - it is possible to do this, very easily too. it's just that when this thread started everyone of us assumed you were trying to do the warping using the filter called "iwarp" and maybe we were wrong? the thing is, if you used the iwarp tool, you did all the warping by hand, and it's not possible to reproduce it automatically, you'd just have to do the same over and over again, for every time you wanted a new design on the tee. but if you instead use the displacement map filter (filters -> map -> displace) it's very easy to just repeat the filter for every new design and get the same result. i have attached an xcf where i did just that, in case you want to look at it. in that image, i just placed guides where the center of the text design needed to be to get the text where i wanted it (because if you run the displacement filter on a design it will move a little. i did some experimenting first to find out where to put the text.), then i typed two versions of the text i wanted and ran the filter with the same settings on both of them. in this case it looked good on default settings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:43 pm  (#14) 

> Hmmm... seems odd that something so detailed could not quickly be duplicated. After all even as
> detailed as it appears it's just data at the end of the day. (well in my mind at least...)

Shure it is only data - the fact is that the iwarp plug-in does not export that Data - it just
keeps it internally until it applies it on the image, and then the distortion data is gone.

In GIMP unstable (2.9) the iWARP plug-in have at least been promoted to a real tool - Warp Tool it is orders of magnitude better for warping, as it works on the image itself, not in a preview, and has
udo available for any step.

However, neither the filter nor the Warp tool can save the distortion data - (stroke path/selection does not work with the new warp tool either) - so, using the displacement map filters remains as your option for the task at hand.

The iwarp filter as it is today could be made to have an "export" option so that the same warping could be done to another image - that would not be that trivial, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:29 pm  (#15) 
Script Coder

I am interested in how Iwarp can be used to make folds in cloth; or otherwise the details of how it is employed in the described process.