It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Multi-Replicate vs. Clone Layer (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:26 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Me again! :pengy

What would be the easiest way to create this:

Would like to have 2 columns with 14 lines each.

I'm leaning towards using one of the plugins for replicate but don't know what options to choose. Please help me out!! :tyspin

Last edited by milica on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Multi-Replicate vs. Clone Layer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:18 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

If you are adding the entries by hand then I would suggest creating a layer group for each entry with separate layers for the various data items.

Attachment:
SS-tote-board.png
SS-tote-board.png [ 19.23 KiB | Viewed 2423 times ]

You can then make a duplicate of the layergroup (by duplicating its fundament), chain link* the layers of the duplicate group (by SHIFT-CLICKing on the link box of one of the group's layers in the Layers Dialog), and then use the Move Tool to move the group. You can then edit the flag and text layers of the duplicate group to their new values.

* I don't think the Move Tool currently works on a layer group's fundament, thus you have to chain link all of the layers in the group (and make sure that no layers outside the group are linked). Hopefully this situation will be improved in GIMP's next release.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:38 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

I would use a spreadsheet program for everything but the background image.
Use cell and table formatting to fine tune size, text, colours, spacing.
Add flags and data.
This way is easy to update and more flexible depending on how you need to display the data, print, web, screen.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:19 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

saulgoode & Odinbc, thank you very much for help! :)

Made grids on a transparent image, so I can later paste it on (m)any backgrounds.

For all the data I will use Excel because of flexibility/updates. But the problem that I foresee is the transparency or the lack of it - how to paste a spreadsheet to Gimp and make it transparent? I think flags will become transparent too. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:46 pm  (#5) 
Global Moderator

In a spreadsheet program like Excel or Cal you can format the cells anyway you like. You can also set backgrounds.

Another way is use a distinctive colour with thick borders for cells (how you bring it into Gimp is up to you, screenshot maybe?) once in Gimp colour select the border and make it transparent, if that makes sense.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:31 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

But you cannot set a transparent background in Excel. :(
How to keep white parts of the flags upon copying the Excel sheet to Gimp image as a layer and then adding alpha channel to that layer (making it transparent). White parts of the flags get transparent, too. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:30 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

milica wrote:
But you cannot set a transparent background in Excel. :(
How to keep white parts of the flags upon copying the Excel sheet to Gimp image as a layer and then adding alpha channel to that layer (making it transparent). White parts of the flags get transparent, too. :(

Create a small layer the same size and location as the flag, fill the layer with white, and then position the layer in the layerstack to be just underneath the layer containing the flag.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:22 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Ugh, the text is in white too and once I copy it on an image & set to transparent - it gets lost. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:53 am  (#9) 
Script Coder

Please post the image file that is created from the data in the spreadsheet program.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:06 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

What do you mean?

I found this but I don't understand it completely & nor I know if it will solve my problem:
ofnuts wrote:
I think your problem lies in the way color-to-alpha works: by definition, the color and transparency produced by color-to-alpha is such that if placed over a layer filled by the removed color, you get back the original layer. For instance, if you have a violet pixel (128,0,128) and do a color-to-alpha to remove the red (255,0,0) you get a 50% transparent blue (0,0,255), because this partially transparent blue, placed over pure red, produces a violet pixel.

However, this definition isn't complete, because, after all, a completely opaque violet pixel, placed over red, would also produce violet, and some more reddish but less transparent violet would so the same. So, C2A picks the color that comes with the higher transparency.

But this means that C2A can find of a bit of your color almost everywhere, and make all the pixels in your layer slightly transparent. So the right technique to remove a background is to select only the parts on which C2A should apply. This is easy:

• Select the background with the Fuzzy select
  • "Select/Grow" by one pixels. The selection now includes the border pixels of what you want to keep. These are the important pixels...
  • Apply color-to-alpha. The border pixels become partially transparent and you keep the anti-aliasing effect.

Also, as a side note, don't use GIF, except for short animations. For all other purposes, except photography, PNG is a much better format. All decent software will use it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:06 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I might have done it using a different background colour.. now the only problem are visible borders on top & the left - would you know how to get rid of them without erasing grids? (preferably in Excel as that's where they came from) :tyspin

OK, drew some borders of the same color as the background and solved the puzzle. Thank you everyone!! :clap