It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone know a way to improve this image so that I can make it larger?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:49 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: Mavericks
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Good evening guys & gals!

I remember awhile ago i saw some utility (may have even been an online tool...)
that could improve the resolution of a small image so that it could be made larger.

Basically i want to enlarge this emoji '100' so that I can create a t-shirt design from it: http://emojipedia.org/symbols/hundred-points-symbol/
I'm certain the design could be emulated in gimp, but frankly i don't want to invest that kind of time (nor am I that good at Gimp)

Thanks guys :)

Attachments:
hjzys_100resize_800235-1.jpg
hjzys_100resize_800235-1.jpg [ 11.46 KiB | Viewed 4615 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know a way to improve this image so that I can make it larg
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:11 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

try using the scale tool.

Post subject: Re: Anyone know a way to improve this image so that I can make it larg
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:17 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Lol... that's it???

I want to improve the quality of the image(i.e. the resolution/pixel count, etc.) , not just make it larger... :mrgreen:
mackenzieh wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:21 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

otherwhirl wrote:
Lol... that's it???

I want to improve the quality of the image(i.e. the resolution/pixel count, etc.) , not just make it larger... :mrgreen:
mackenzieh wrote:

I think so. The scale tool is what I use to make images larger. Maybe zooming in would work.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:28 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

umm... how would zooming in improve the quality? nvm :hehe

thanks anyways

mackenzieh wrote:
otherwhirl wrote:
Lol... that's it???

mackenzieh wrote:

I think so. The scale tool is what I use to make images larger. Maybe zooming in would work.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:09 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

This is enlarged. I cleaned up the edges, that get lost in enlargement. Not perfect, but...The first has a white background, the second is a transparency:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:33 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

otherwhirl: if it's a small image with low resolution it's really hard to scale it up and still have it look good. of course you can change the resolution numbers, but that won't help - the amount of information in the image is already set and that won't change by changing the resolution. but there may be things you can do to make it look better anyway and it seems you've done a few things to it already.

i usually do this with images like yours, on transparent backgrounds: after scaling up the image, i would duplicate the layer, then go to blur -> gaussian blur and blur the top layer with a suitable amount of blur - usually between 5 and 10. after that i would go to colours -> curves and where it says "channel" i would choose "alpha" in the dropdown list. then i would change the curve and look at what it did to the edges of my image - there's usually a way to tweak the curve so the blurred edges look sharp but not jagged.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:55 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Hey Warrior,

Kudos bro for taking the time to touch up and enlarge the image. I really appreciate it. :yes
So essentially all you did was scale & clean up the noisy areas ?

The Warrior wrote:
This is enlarged. I cleaned up the edges, that get lost in enlargement. Not perfect, but...The first has a white background, the second is a transparency:

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Last edited by otherwhirl on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:56 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal,

Thanks for your suggestions, i'll give it shot and keep those things in mind :bigthup

AnMal wrote:
otherwhirl: if it's a small image with low resolution it's really hard to scale it up and still have it look good. of course you can change the resolution numbers, but that won't help - the amount of information in the image is already set and that won't change by changing the resolution. but there may be things you can do to make it look better anyway and it seems you've done a few things to it already.

i usually do this with images like yours, on transparent backgrounds: after scaling up the image, i would duplicate the layer, then go to blur -> gaussian blur and blur the top layer with a suitable amount of blur - usually between 5 and 10. after that i would go to colours -> curves and where it says "channel" i would choose "alpha" in the dropdown list. then i would change the curve and look at what it did to the edges of my image - there's usually a way to tweak the curve so the blurred edges look sharp but not jagged.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:44 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I just had a quick go at this and found that if the image is opened in Inkscape, and then the trace bitmap filter run on it with the default settings - trace bitmap is under the path tab - two copies of the image are created. I deleted the red copy and recoloured the black copy to a shade of red, saved it as an svg file and opened it with Gimp. The size of the image can be changed when Gimp first opens it.
To separate the two images after running the trace bitmap filter, click on the image and drag the top version off the canvas. It might produce the desired effect.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:03 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Yup, vectorize it and it´s scalable to infinity.

In Gimp, used only brightness & contrast to get rid of the small drop shadow it has.
Export as png or jpg, open in Inkscape and trace. Smooth corners off, remove background on, Multiple scans 2 scans. Trace.
Change the color in Inkscape to correct red You wish to have, export as png. Put 300 or 600 as resolution and You have huge detailed version for Gimp.

Attachments:
hundred.jpg
hundred.jpg [ 174.14 KiB | Viewed 1271 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:40 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Ooooh NICE :yes
Thanks alot for the info. Caz.

This answers another question i had about converting my Gimp files to vector. Wish there was a way to convert images/files in batches.

Thanks again :bigthup

Caz wrote:
[ Image ]

I just had a quick go at this and found that if the image is opened in Inkscape, and then the trace bitmap filter run on it with the default settings - trace bitmap is under the path tab - two copies of the image are created. I deleted the red copy and recoloured the black copy to a shade of red, saved it as an svg file and opened it with Gimp. The size of the image can be changed when Gimp first opens it.
To separate the two images after running the trace bitmap filter, click on the image and drag the top version off the canvas. It might produce the desired effect.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:42 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Awesome Niddhogg :yes

Any chance this could be done in batches? I've got hundreds of gimp files (and .png's as well...)
that i'd like to convert

Nidhogg wrote:
Yup, vectorize it and it´s scalable to infinity.

In Gimp, used only brightness & contrast to get rid of the small drop shadow it has.
Export as png or jpg, open in Inkscape and trace. Smooth corners off, remove background on, Multiple scans 2 scans. Trace.
Change the color in Inkscape to correct red You wish to have, export as png. Put 300 or 600 as resolution and You have huge detailed version for Gimp.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:44 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Anyone have a clue what font this is? (or any that comes really close...)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:56 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Another method - only with Gimp - in 10 steps.
Simple plug-in Alpha-to-path-interactive.py streamlines the steps 1 to 4.

Attachments:
Alphatopath1.png
Alphatopath1.png [ 536.24 KiB | Viewed 1259 times ]
Alphatopath2.png
Alphatopath2.png [ 470.98 KiB | Viewed 1259 times ]
Alpha-to-path-interactive.zip [1.7 KiB]
Downloaded 87 times

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:01 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, good to know (Although the Inkscape method I think I'll go with...)

MareroQ wrote:
Another method - only with Gimp - in 10 steps.
Simple plug-in Alpha-to-path-interactive.py streamlines the steps 1 to 4.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:18 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

I´m not aware how to trace in batch using Inkscape or any free software, but You can use Bimp plugin for batch processing in Gimp.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:19 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Ok, thanks

Nidhogg wrote:
I´m not aware how to trace in batch using Inkscape or any free software, but You can use Bimp plugin for batch processing in Gimp.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:27 pm  (#19) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I made this, it took me about 10 minutes or so. I used my own font for the number.
It doesn't answer your question, but if you want you can use it if you like.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:31 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Looks nice Wallace.

the reason why i need to find a similar font is because i want to add a slogan with the design.

I think the Inscape/vector route handles the issue of improving the initial design. Now I just need to
find a complimentary font option to complete my idea.

Wallace wrote:
I made this, it took me about 10 minutes or so. I used my own font for the number.
It doesn't answer your question, but if you want you can use it if you like.

[ Image ]