It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie with some GIMP-related questions!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:10 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
G'IMC plugin

Hi there,

I have only joined 31 January 2014 and only then I have downloaded and installed GIMP 2.8 latest version available, thus my experience is zero.

My 1st question is when I started up GIMP, there are 2 separate menu boxes on either sides of the interface screen, to the left "Toolbox - Tool options" and to the right "Layers-Brushes". Are they suppose to be loose like, I mean like just laying on top of the main interface? Can't they be permanently grouped/locked to the rest as I am scared I will by accident close them with the red X, especially when I am in a haste and not be careful. And if it does happen, how will I be able to get them back? They are actually in the way (the right one) when I want to close GIMP. I literally have to move the 'layers - brushes' menu a bit down every time before I can close red x to close Gimp. This is annoying as I know that at some point I am going to close the wrong button as I am still learning this new program. ;)

My 2nd question is that I have downloaded a tutorial by Draconian "Make Your Own Fabric". For that I need the G'MIC plug-in. I have followed the link to where the plug-ins are for this. Over the 6 pages I am not sure which one to choose. I have found G'MIC for Gimp 2.8 but that is for MAC and I use Windows. There is one for an earlier version, namely Gimp 2.6 but I am not sure if I can use it on Gimp 2.8!? My operation system is Windows XP SR3, 32-bit. And where do I install it?

My 3rd question is I have downloaded/installed the Embroidery text script by Rod and would like to play with that. It's under Script-Fu menu and it do work as I have tested it yesterday with a small piece of text, so the problem is nothing related to the script itself ... it is the "Text box" that is driving me nuts! :oops: I got the text option from the 'Toolbox - Tool options' menu on left but I am really struggling with it. The whole text box is completely new to me. I have for instance changed the font to something else from the dropdown menu but it keeps going back to the default "sans". And if I do get it right at times (after much struggling) to change the font, and choosing a color it just stays black even when I am highlighting the text. Clearly I am doing something wrong or missing steps. The small boxes around the text area also confuses me. Any good tutorials to explain how to change the color and other options for the text tool and how to work with these block parts in the corners? :roll: Sorry about all these questions, but I am clueless at this point and old age (I am not for from being a senior citizen :lol ) is slowing my concentration heavily! :gaah :hehe

Any help is much appreciated! :)

Laura

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Newbie with some GIMP-related questions!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:29 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

about point 1:
go to Menu entry "Windows" and check "Single-Window Mode"
that's it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:34 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you dinasset! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:50 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

launok: for your second question - this link http://gmic.sourceforge.net/gimp.shtml
will take you straight to the download page for the gimp g'mic plug-in. first in that download list is g'mic for windows 32 bit, it should run fine on XP. if you have problems installing, just shout again :).
about the text box: if you have the text highlighted from the start and then change size, font or colour, you shouldn't have any problems. but for example, if you change the colour you will have to change it in the tool options tab, where you go to adjust your text, not just in the toolbox.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:59 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
launok: for your second question - this link http://gmic.sourceforge.net/gimp.shtml
will take you straight to the download page for the gimp g'mic plug-in. first in that download list is g'mic for windows 32 bit, it should run fine on XP. if you have problems installing, just shout again :).
about the text box: if you have the text highlighted from the start and then change size, font or colour, you shouldn't have any problems. but for example, if you change the colour you will have to change it in the tool options tab, where you go to adjust your text, not just in the toolbox.

Thank you AnMal, I will go and look for the plug-in download, and try again playing with the toolbox. It was quite late at night when I have tried out the toolbox but now I have more time to explore that. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:10 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

launok: good luck :). and don't give up if you have problems - come in and give a shout instead, there's usually someone around who's ready to help.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:42 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

About your point #3 in the initial post.

Try the following:
1-File>New> (white)
2-Click on the Text tool (the big A)
3-In the Tool Options below click on the Text Font (normally you see Aa in the icon)
4-From the drop-down list which appears select your Font (in my example: Andre Heavy SF Bold Italic, anyone is OK)
5-Just below that select the Size (in my example: 150)
6-Again below click on the Colour and on the windows which appears select your color (in my example a green with 00d000 hex)
7-Now click on the image, close to the left margin, in the middle of the height axis
8-Enter your text (in my example: newbie)
9-Click on Menu>Layer>Merge down

That's it for the very first your text.

(note: you have to unzip te attached example)

Attachments:
newbie.7z [11.09 KiB]
Downloaded 71 times

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:14 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

dinasset wrote:
About your point #3 in the initial post.

Try the following:
1-File>New> (white)
2-Click on the Text tool (the big A)
3-In the Tool Options below click on the Text Font (normally you see Aa in the icon)
4-From the drop-down list which appears select your Font (in my example: Andre Heavy SF Bold Italic, anyone is OK)
5-Just below that select the Size (in my example: 150)
6-Again below click on the Colour and on the windows which appears select your color (in my example a green with 00d000 hex)
7-Now click on the image, close to the left margin, in the middle of the height axis
8-Enter your text (in my example: newbie)
9-Click on Menu>Layer>Merge down

That's it for the very first your text.

(note: you have to unzip te attached example)

Thank you, I will try these steps out ... and thanks for attachment! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:22 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Text editing could feel awkward at first.
I usually type my text, then highlight it and edit the values and color from the text toolbox that appears.
Justify and space from the main toolbox if need to.
And when You are happy, switch to move tool and hover it over your text. Hold left mouse button down and drag.

Now if You click the text with the text tool again it will show Sans 18, because it´s not highlighted. Don´t get confused.
Highlight = editing. That´s my simple rule.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:25 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Nidhogg wrote:
Text editing could feel awkward at first.
I usually type my text, then highlight it and edit the values and color from the text toolbox that appears.
Justify and space from the main toolbox if need to.
And when You are happy, switch to move tool and hover it over your text. Hold left mouse button down and drag.

Now if You click the text with the text tool again it will show Sans 18, because it´s not highlighted. Don´t get confused.
Highlight = editing. That´s my simple rule.

Thanks for your help too, appreciated! :)