It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Font Help
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:34 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Have a few font questions. For some reason, a few days ago, I get 2 fonts that show up in the font dialog, that weren't there before. It's not hurting anything, just annoys me. One, is called 8514fix, another called 8514oem. These fonts don't show up in the Windows>Fonts folder, nor are they in my User>GIMP>2.6>Fonts folder. I have a font manager, AMP Font Viewer, but they don't show up in there either. When I do a regedit, they do show up as a .fon file. I'm a little apprehensive about deleting theme off the registry. Any clues why they're showing up in GIMP, or how to get rid of them?

Also, when I start up GIMP, and go to use the Text Tool, why do my fonts always start on the sans font? It seems like it would start on the first in the list. Can I change this?

Thanks.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Need Font Help
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:06 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

If you go to Edit>Preferences>Tool Options and click save tool options on exit any font you used last will be the startup font.
Those two fonts may belong to another program you recently installed. Can you post a screenshot of what the fonts look like? (right click> view font)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:17 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
If you go to Edit>Preferences>Tool Options and click save tool options on exit any font you used last will be the startup font.
Those two fonts may belong to another program you recently installed. Can you post a screenshot of what the fonts look like? (right click> view font)

Ah, thanks, that worked. Here's a screen shot I took with the font used in GIMP. Actually, both the fonts I mentioned are identical:

I Googled it, and they are Microsoft fonts. Just don't know why all of a sudden, they are showing up in GIMP.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:24 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
The Warrior wrote:
Rod wrote:

Ah, thanks, that worked. Here's a screen shot I took with the font used in GIMP. Actually, both the fonts I mentioned are identical:

[ Image ]

I Googled it, and they are Microsoft fonts. Just don't know why all of a sudden, they are showing up in GIMP.

Do you think that these fonts could have been included as part of a windows update?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:25 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
The Warrior wrote:
Rod wrote:

[ Image ]

Do you think that these fonts could have been included as part of a windows update?

I've had my Windows updates turned off for months.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:31 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

The Warrior wrote:
I've had my Windows updates turned off for months.

Guess that's not it then. :hehe That's odd?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:32 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I guess there are some hidden fonts: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/offi ... d719d13e43

Of course, I don't care if they hide them or not, I just want them off my GIMP, haha. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:41 pm  (#8) 
Administrator

The Warrior wrote:
I guess there are some hidden fonts: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/offi ... d719d13e43

Of course, I don't care if they hide them or not, I just want them off my GIMP, haha. :mrgreen:

:hehe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:47 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

The only thing i can think of is that they may have been included with another program.
Odd that AMP font viewer can't see them though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:50 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Have you used PhotoFont Starter recently, if so that's probably why you see them? They are related to bitmap fonts.

And just for fun NirSoft always has interesting info and utilities.
.fon Extension - List of programs that can open .fon files

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:19 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
Have you used PhotoFont Starter recently, if so that's probably why you see them? They are related to bitmap fonts.

And just for fun NirSoft always has interesting info and utilities.
.fon Extension - List of programs that can open .fon files

Yes! I just installed that a few days ago. Must be what it is. Thanks a heap. I just did a restore on my PC. Took it back to 5 days ago. Couldn't get on mozilla for some reason, plus had to go through all my fonts again. They still show up in GIMP too, haha. :hehe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:41 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Oooooor not. Uninstalled PhotoFont, and they still show up. Oh well, hell with it, it works fine, just annoys me a little is all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:16 pm  (#13) 
Global Moderator

The Warrior wrote:
Oooooor not. Uninstalled PhotoFont, and they still show up. Oh well, hell with it, it works fine, just annoys me a little is all.
They didn't come with PhotoFont, you've probably got a 100+ on your system anyway. Did you rescan the font list in Gimp? It might not work, but it's worth a shot.

BTW, You can change your default starting font in Gimp by editing the user gimprc file.
C:\Users\[user]\.gimp-2.8\gimprc
Add,
(default-font "somefont")
before,
# end of gimprc

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:09 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
They didn't come with PhotoFont, you've probably got a 100+ on your system anyway. Did you rescan the font list in Gimp? It might not work, but it's worth a shot.
Oh, I understand. I did rescan, but it didn't work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:30 am  (#15) 
Administrator

The Warrior wrote:
Odinbc wrote:
Oh, I understand. I did rescan, but it didn't work.

I have both those fonts in my windows font folder. They look like bitmap fonts. They don't show up in my Gimp though. What kind of file extension is FON for anyway? I only have a few of them on my pc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:28 am  (#16) 
Global Moderator

Wallace wrote:
I have both those fonts in my windows font folder. They look like bitmap fonts. They don't show up in my Gimp though. What kind of file extension is FON for anyway? I only have a few of them on my pc.
.fon file are like a placeholder or outline for a bitmap font. I believe they are static in size and their properties represent the size of the bitmap font. They are not fonts on their own.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:46 am  (#17) 
Administrator

Odinbc wrote:
Wallace wrote:
.fon file are like a placeholder or outline for a bitmap font. I believe they are static in size and their properties represent the size of the bitmap font. They are not fonts on their own.

Yes I see.
I also read somewhere that they are still in windows OS due to the fact that there are some 'stone-age' programs out there that still need to use these fonts to run.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:20 am  (#18) 
Global Moderator

Wallace wrote:
I also read somewhere that they are still in windows OS due to the fact that there are some 'stone-age' programs out there that still need to use these fonts to run.
You're right and that stone-age is going to turn into pipe-age. :clap

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:27 am  (#19) 
Global Moderator

I have two pretty plain fonts that have 'appeared' in gimp and are not in Windows fonts - 8514 fix and 8514 oem

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:58 am  (#20) 
Administrator

Odinbc wrote:
Wallace wrote:
You're right and that stone-age is going to turn into pipe-age. :clap

:hehe