It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Small Icons and Anti-aliasing....
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:44 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Mac OS
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Hey guys Happy Sunday!

I have a small icon I need to customize and upload to facebook in the following dimensions:
"The size of the image must be 111 x 74 pixels. File size limit 1 MB"

I think i read somewhere that by disabling anti-aliasing that images look sharper, is this true? and if not, given the specs I have shared, what would you recommend to get the sharpest quality at that scale? (without turning it into a science project...)

I have included a screenshot and a sample image like the one I will be using.

Thanks!

p.s. the example screenshot you see is not mine, just an example of scale concerning the thumbs.

Attachments:
SOMETHING-HERE-thumbnail.png
SOMETHING-HERE-thumbnail.png [ 16.03 KiB | Viewed 2165 times ]
SOMETHING-HERE.png
SOMETHING-HERE.png [ 671.96 KiB | Viewed 2166 times ]
Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 5.39.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 5.39.21 PM.png [ 395.8 KiB | Viewed 2166 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Small Icons and Anti-aliasing....
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:41 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

On the contrary, you have to keep the anti-aliasing if you want something clean. On your image the text is at about the same size as normal text on a display (font size around 9 or 10) so if you want something clear and sharp, aim for fonts that are optimized for small sizes (Droid family for instance), and have good contrast between text and background).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:54 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

Here's a quick experiment. Ultimately I think you should try a few methods and see which outcome you prefer:

Attachment:
SOMETHING-HERE_composite.png
SOMETHING-HERE_composite.png [ 32.05 KiB | Viewed 2076 times ]

Cubic/Sinc is the interpolation method. 1-step means scaling the image in one go from 1800 to 111 pixels and 3-step means scaling in 3 steps (first to 1237 wide, then 674 wide then 111 wide)
I use step scaling on my photographs, partly to annoy ofnuts ;) but mostly because I prefer the outcome and also it means I can apply post-scaling sharpening less aggressively.

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:19 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

paynekj wrote:
I use step scaling on my photographs, partly to annoy ofnuts ;)

I'm cool with any perversion as long as it stays in your home and is between consenting adults :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:09 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks ofnuts

ofnuts wrote:
On the contrary, you have to keep the anti-aliasing if you want something clean. On your image the text is at about the same size as normal text on a display (font size around 9 or 10) so if you want something clear and sharp, aim for fonts that are optimized for small sizes (Droid family for instance), and have good contrast between text and background).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:13 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks paynekj, for the experiment example. I actually was gonna look further into those modes as well, but figured I start with the basic question first.

The 3 step sinc definitely has the greatest effect of clarity and sharpness
So how exactly would I be able to apply this again?

"I use step scaling on my photographs, partly to annoy ofnuts ;) but mostly because I prefer the outcome and also it means I can apply post-scaling sharpening less aggressively."

What's so wrong / "perverted" about his method he uses on his photographs ofnuts? (or is it more about his photographs being "perverted"?)
paynekj wrote:
Here's a quick experiment. Ultimately I think you should try a few methods and see which outcome you prefer:

Attachment:
SOMETHING-HERE_composite.png

Cubic/Sinc is the interpolation method. 1-step means scaling the image in one go from 1800 to 111 pixels and 3-step means scaling in 3 steps (first to 1237 wide, then 674 wide then 111 wide)
I use step scaling on my photographs, partly to annoy ofnuts ;) but mostly because I prefer the outcome and also it means I can apply post-scaling sharpening less aggressively.

Kevin