It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 69  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bevel Reflect Logo V1.0
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:16 pm  (#21) 
Script Coder

GnuTux this is a very nice script that makes the plugin so much easier to use :bigthup

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:21 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:41 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Founder

Everyone is getting nice results from the script. :bigthup

Just a reminder that if you are running from the Alpha to Logo menu, once you select your gradient, you can Ctrl-z, then Ctrl-f to regenerate with a new set of random numbers, giving a new result from that gradient. Keep doing that until you get the result you're after. Then, save the spherical map for later use. :hehe

You can also use the active gradient (from the "Map Type" dropdown), which for me, makes it easier to switch between gradients.

Graechan wrote:
GnuTux this is a very nice script that makes the plugin so much easier to use :bigthup

Thanks, Graechan. Plus, it makes it easy to generate and test spherical EMaps from gradients, to get all kinds of shiny, reflective effects.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:36 pm  (#24) 
Script Coder

this script is Fun! to use

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:50 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the info Gnu.

Thanks Molly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:03 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

My thing is the images... how do you work with them while trying to use this script?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:39 pm  (#27) 
GimpChat Founder

mackenzieh wrote:
My thing is the images... how do you work with them while trying to use this script?

If I understand what you're asking, you can use this script on solid images, like clipart images or it will operate on a selected object in a layer.

As it stands now, selections only work when there is a transparent background.

I need to do more testing and work on that aspect of the script. I can see where there could be instances where the user would need to apply the effect from this script to arbitrary selections on images, where the background was not transparent.

Until I update the script, you would have to duplicate the selection on a transparent layer above the image, apply the script, then merge back down.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:14 pm  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

Oh, okay. That makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:20 pm  (#29) 
Global Moderator

O, that is why I couldn't make my pengy silver. I will try it again. mine looked like it went through the iwarp. :teeth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:34 pm  (#30) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Tried out this script and here's what I came up with.

Last edited by Wallace on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:55 pm  (#31) 
GimpChat Founder

That turned out nice, Wallace. It's purple, too. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:07 pm  (#32) 
Administrator

GnuTux wrote:
That turned out nice, Wallace. It's purple, too. :mrgreen:

Thanks Tux.

BTW... The dialog for the, "File/Create/Logos (gimpchat.com)" is very large, and the buttons on the bottom can't be seen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:21 pm  (#33) 
GimpChat Founder

Yeah, that's just on ongoing problem with Script-Fu. Unfortunately, the dialog that pops up doesn't scroll and I really need to include all those options. Actually, I could use several more, but you wouldn't be able to access them in Windows. I can't add multiple columns or tabs in Script-Fu either. It is certainly an unnecessary limiting factor that should be addressed by the developers.

At least you can see all the script options on the screen, so you can run the script from there. Just set your options, put your cursor in the text field and press enter. That is pretty much the way I have to run it too.

As it stands now, the higher resolution you have configured for your display, the more options you can see.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:31 pm  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
BTW... The dialog for the, "File/Create/Logos (gimpchat.com)" is very large, and the buttons on the bottom can't be seen.
[ Image ]

The BevRef Logo script dialog window is 800 px in height [on my monitor], what's your screen resolution Wallace, 900x600? :hehe

BTW, you are adherent of 2.6.11, can you run BevelReflect interactively [2nd check box in script dialogue],
or the improbable has happened and you're using 2.8? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:57 pm  (#35) 
Administrator

K1TesseraEna wrote:
The BevRef Logo script dialog window is 800 px in height [on my monitor], what's your screen resolution Wallace, 900x600? :hehe

BTW, you are adherent of 2.6.11, can you run BevelReflect interactively [2nd check box in script dialogue],
or the improbable has happened and you're using 2.8? ;)

My screen resolution 1088 X 614. :hoh Yes I'm using Gimp portable 2.8... The script doesn't work in 2.6.
Why is this dialog so large?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:14 pm  (#36) 
GimpChat Founder

Wallace, it's that large because all of those options are needed to get the most functionality and versatility out of the script. I actually need a few more, including a multiline text entry box, line spacing and an option for edge smoothing. There's really nothing I can drop without losing versatility.

As I mentioned previously, you can still run from there by pressing enter in the text entry box. :bigthup

The buttons at the bottom are not that useful on the Create Logo screen, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:37 pm  (#37) 
Administrator

GnuTux wrote:
Wallace, it's that large because all of those options are needed to get the most functionality and versatility out of the script. I actually need a few more, including a multiline text entry box, line spacing and an option for edge smoothing. There's really nothing I can drop without losing versatility.

As I mentioned previously, you can still run from there by pressing enter in the text entry box. :bigthup

The buttons at the bottom are not that useful on the Create Logo screen, anyway.

Yeah I got it, but I don't think I'll be using this script much anyway.
I've seen a few scripts from fencepost where the dialogs are even bigger then this one, with no way to resize the dialog window.
Why is there no way to make the dialog sizable, by dragging it to a needed size from the side or whatever?
Should we all get 52" monitors?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:41 pm  (#38) 
GimpChat Founder

Well, you could always switch to Linux and drag the Window to wherever you want, but since you don't find this script that useful, I don't guess it really matters. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:24 am  (#39) 
Administrator

GnuTux wrote:
Well, you could always switch to Linux and drag the Window to wherever you want, but since you don't find this script that useful, I don't guess it really matters. ;)

I didn't know that this could be done with Linux.
I'm going to get a new machine soon, so I may just make that switch. I never cared that much for Windows anyway, I feel kind of stuck with it.
This script is very! useful, it's just that I haven't been able to try it out much. It can create some really nice text as you've shown as, and who know what else could be done with it. Now that it can be applied to shapes as well.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work you've put into it and the fact that you've made it available to everyone. It's really my OS that's causing my frustration, not the scripts.
GnuTux wrote:
Thanks, folks. :bigthup

@AnMal - Yes. You should check it out. If does a nice job with shiny reflections.

@Molly - The gradient I used for that is one I sampled from an image of actual Chrome. There is quite a lot of black in it, but I always jack up the lightness/brightness/contrast on the final result anyway. I do need to sample a few more gradients from chrome images, so I can have a better arsenal. I think I specified to create a Topo Map using a bi-linear blend more, but you can play with those settings to get the result you're after. Since there is randomness involved, you should run each tweak several times and when you get just the right map, copy it to a new image and save it for later use. I'm starting to build up a library of good emaps. When we get enough, we can post and combine them.

[ Image ]

Attachment:
chrome1-for-emap.ggr

I noticed that your text shows some jagged edges, especially the 2nd one. Perhaps you did something to cause the jagged edges, or it might just be attributable to one of the the main problems with the ML Bevel Reflect plug-in, its lack of anti-aliasing. A white background can really show off jagged edges too. I think I'll attempt add some edge smoothing/anti-aliasing code to this script.

[ Image ]

Nice looking .ggr... :bigthup

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:45 pm  (#40) 
GimpChat Founder

Yes. In Linux you can grab that Window and move it around using Alt-m + Right Click Drag.

I got a pretty cool result from this script by applying one curve & emap to an outline font, then applying another curve & emap on a fill of the inside. :hehe

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 69  Next