path-inbetweener

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:49 pm

So, you start with two paths:
InBetweener-1.png
InBetweener-1.png (22.15 KiB) Viewed 9042 times

and you ask the script to generate N intermediate paths:
InBetweener-2.png
InBetweener-2.png (115.71 KiB) Viewed 9042 times

This script is meant as an automatic in-betweener when doing animation using paths, but there are other uses (the image above was obtained by merging the intermediate paths). You can obtain some some fun effects (for instance, moirés, by generating very dense intermediate paths and stroking them with sub-pixel widths). For the one below, I used the source paths to generate a selection and then applied a gaussian blur to obtain a 3D effect:
InBetweener-3.png
InBetweener-3.png (49.03 KiB) Viewed 9042 times

Script is here as usual: http://gimp-path-tools.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

I know you folks are very good at finding bugs, so have a go at it :)

Re: path-inbetweener

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:27 pm

I really like that one, thank you

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Wow that looks awesome - can't wait to see how the script is achieving this. I have a pet project where I need to draw concentric(?) tracks around a course for a horse racing (board!) game I'm working on - looks like this script will do the leg work. (Yes I know I should be using Inkscape for this!)

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:05 pm

Another beauty - thank you.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Now that looks way too cool offnuts; going to download it after I eat my pizza slices (late lunch; lol). :)

edit:

Slices eaten. lol

Biggest thing to figure out is that both paths had to have the exact number of points. May be an issue if you wanted completely different paths and have this plugin interpolate, but still, very cool indeed offnuts. Thanks a heap. :)

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:28 pm

I downloaded this path-inbetweener py plug-in and I can't find it anywhere. I even went to Help in Gimp/plug-in-browser and typed in path and it doesn't come up.
Yes I did check the permissions and opened and closed gimp a few times. Can someone please help me find this. I even opened up the plug-in file and read the whole script and I can't see where it is hidden.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:47 pm

Open path dialoge and once you have your two paths (which must have identical number of points) you can right click on one of the paths and go to tools Molly and it will be there. :)

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:15 pm

ok thank you Lyle, I was looking for what the plug-in said. No wonder I couldn't find it. Hasn't one of yours got 5 points and one 6?

Thanks, thanks.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:21 pm

lylejk wrote:Biggest thing to figure out is that both paths had to have the exact number of points. May be an issue if you wanted completely different paths and have this plugin interpolate, but still, very cool indeed offnuts. Thanks a heap. :)

This is all explained in the doc at http://gimp-path-tools.sourceforge.net/

The restrictions are: same number of strokes, and strokes in a matching pair (matched by order in their respective path) should have the same number of points (and the same "closed" status).

The script acts only on the anchor points and their handles. In fact writing it was an educated bet that tangent handles could be interpolated the same way as the anchor points.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:32 pm

Thanks Ofnuts. :)
I have not found any bugs as of yet.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:44 pm

ofnuts wrote:
lylejk wrote:Biggest thing to figure out is that both paths had to have the exact number of points. May be an issue if you wanted completely different paths and have this plugin interpolate, but still, very cool indeed offnuts. Thanks a heap. :)

This is all explained in the doc at http://gimp-path-tools.sourceforge.net/

The restrictions are: same number of strokes, and strokes in a matching pair (matched by order in their respective path) should have the same number of points (and the same "closed" status).

The script acts only on the anchor points and their handles. In fact writing it was an educated bet that tangent handles could be interpolated the same way as the anchor points.

I never read; I just do ofnuts so, seeing the error message told me all that I needed to know. lol

School of hardknocks for me as always. ;)

:)

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks for the help Lyle, I don't seem to be able to figure it out so I will just delete it.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:04 pm

To get identical points, your best bet is to just dup the path and resize it (that's what I've been doing). You can also contort the duplicate path as well. Just click the path's option when you click the resizer or other contortion tools (note, GIMP's default is image for these tools, but you can also choose selection and path as well; only learned this trick not even a year ago so I still learn new things about GIMP nearly daily; lol). :)

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks Lyle, you are a doll. I will probably delete it anyway, It was a good idea what you said about duping it.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Still having fun and again, thanks ofnuts. :)

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:42 pm

And a variant. lol

:)

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:53 pm

Interesting script. Thank you.

I did find a typo in the documentation:
"When working with closed strokes, some operations may change the starting point of the stroke. Cutting the stroke again between the required begin and end points and joining them again may fix it."

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:44 am

Yet another test. :)

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:52 am

Cool script!

But, I am using Gimp 2.8 and I can only access the script after I right-click the preview in the path tool dialogue (unlike right-clicking one of the two paths - as indicated by lylejk at comment #7). Even when I run the script i only get duplicated layers with same paths size.

Is it working with Gim 2.8?

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:00 am

josephbupe wrote:Cool script!

But, I am using Gimp 2.8 and I can only access the script after I right-click the preview in the path tool dialogue (unlike right-clicking one of the two paths - as indicated by lylejk at comment #7). Even when I run the script i only get duplicated layers with same paths size.

Is it working with Gim 2.8?

I don't know its 2.8 status, I am still on 2.6.

The script generates more paths, it doesn't add layers.
Post a reply