It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: path-inbetweener
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:19 pm  (#61) 
Script Coder

Rod wrote:
Ofnuts is there a way to change the width of each path?
When i use the script it reverts to the stroke path dialog it seems.That is default set to 6 pixels, and i would like to control that with the interface.

The path is stroked using gimp-stroke-vectors. The doc for that one says:
"This procedure strokes the specified vectors object, painting along the path with the active brush and foreground color."

Draw you own conclusions :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:07 pm  (#62) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Rod wrote:
Ofnuts is there a way to change the width of each path?
When i use the script it reverts to the stroke path dialog it seems.That is default set to 6 pixels, and i would like to control that with the interface.

The path is stroked using gimp-stroke-vectors. The doc for that one says:
"This procedure strokes the specified vectors object, painting along the path with the active brush and foreground color."

Draw you own conclusions :)

oh Duh ... lol

Thank you sir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:29 pm  (#63) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts: i didn't read this thread til now but i can tell i have had problems with the path inbetweener script and i can say with confidence that in my case it was nothing to do with the paths and their number of nodes. it must be something else that causes the problem but so far i haven't been able to work out what it is. sometimes the script runs as it should and gives me the selected number of in between paths, but at other times it gives me the error message saying the number of nodes is not the same for the two paths. i count the nodes carefully and there's no difference in number of nodes - and shouldn't be, since i either duplicated the first path or made a new one with the exact same number of nodes especially with the thought of the script. i have made the experiment of duplicating an image with no information in it except for two paths and then ran the script on the paths of the first image with the desired result, then ran the script on the paths of the second image - and got the error message. so, a matter for a code detective, perhaps?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:25 pm  (#64) 
Script Coder

Anmal wrote:
ofnuts: i didn't read this thread til now but i can tell i have had problems with the path inbetweener script and i can say with confidence that in my case it was nothing to do with the paths and their number of nodes. it must be something else that causes the problem but so far i haven't been able to work out what it is. sometimes the script runs as it should and gives me the selected number of in between paths, but at other times it gives me the error message saying the number of nodes is not the same for the two paths. i count the nodes carefully and there's no difference in number of nodes - and shouldn't be, since i either duplicated the first path or made a new one with the exact same number of nodes especially with the thought of the script. i have made the experiment of duplicating an image with no information in it except for two paths and then ran the script on the paths of the first image with the desired result, then ran the script on the paths of the second image - and got the error message. so, a matter for a code detective, perhaps?

Just added a 'path-summary' script to the sourceforge downloads. It adds 'Tools/Summary' to the right click menu in Paths, and displays in a warning dialog (or in the error console dialog if open) a summary of the Path strokes. Use it against both paths, and checks it gives the same number of strokes, and that they have the same number of points (in the same order).

Otherwise attach the XCF here (you can drop the layers, I only need to see the paths you have).

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:51 pm  (#65) 
GimpChat Member

Just monkeying around with this plugin for 3D effects on a steam punk type of text. :)
I like the almost glassy effect on the paths that are merged, stroked with a 1 pixel solid round brush, and then blurred.I used my own copper gradient and designed the fasteners myself.There are two different top layer gradients.
One goes horizontal and the smaller (shrunk by 3 pixels), on top is vertical.Same gradient though.I did add some HSV noise but only a little to the gradient layer on top.I then merged all the fastener layers and bump mapped to the top gradient layer.
The drop shadow adds to the see thru effect.

XCF attached

Attachment:
ofnuts-copper-text-paths-3d.xcf [970.37 KiB]
Downloaded 100 times

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:26 am  (#66) 
Script Coder

Yup. Nice.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:11 am  (#67) 
GimpChat Member

@Ofnuts
well, before you hit me, please consider my level being below the beginner level for what paths are concerned.
So, these are my steps:
1 - (obvious) downloaded your plug-in
2 - new image
3 - path tool
4 - 1, 2, 3 points
5 - back to point 1 with cntl to close the path (triangle
6... 9 - repeated steps 2... 5 to create an inner triangle
10 - open dockable dialogue for path
11 - right click - tools - summary
12 - got "Strokes in path "Unnamed": {Points: 3, Length: 1056.97, closed},{Points: 3, Length: 346.19, closed}"
13 - so, everything ok, as far as I understood so far
14 - right click - tool - generate intermediate paths
15 - left default 3, hit ok
16 - result (seen on the path dialogue): three additional layers, well not really layers (because the layer is still one on the layer dialogue), but probably (I'm ignorant on paths) only replicated paths, but on top of the one I have, so with both paths replicated.
I have to have missed something, but I do not understand what.
I read in a previous post that I have to right click on one of the path, but if I do that when I'm on the image, I don't get the menu I need, if afterwards I go to the dockable dialogue it's seem almost impossible to choose only one of the triangles, the figure is so small...
help please....

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:46 am  (#68) 
Script Coder

dinasset wrote:
@Ofnuts
well, before you hit me, please consider my level being below the beginner level for what paths are concerned.
So, these are my steps:
2 - new image
3 - path tool
4 - 1, 2, 3 points
12 - got "Strokes in path "Unnamed": {Points: 3, Length: 1056.97, closed},{Points: 3, Length: 346.19, closed}"
16 - result (seen on the path dialogue): three additional layers, well not really layers (because the layer is still one on the layer dialogue), but probably (I'm ignorant on paths) only replicated paths, but on top of the one I have, so with both paths replicated.
I read in a previous post that I have to right click on one of the path, but if I do that when I'm on the image, I don't get the menu I need, if afterwards I go to the dockable dialogue it's seem almost impossible to choose only one of the triangles, the figure is so small...
help please....

The script creates intermediate paths between two paths, not intermediate strokes between strokes in the same path (if you want everything in the same path afterwards you can "merge visible paths"). So you need to have two paths: one for the outer triangle, one for the inner one. Then right click on one of the two paths, start the plugin, and in the "end path" specify the other path...

Attachment:
Triangles.png
Triangles.png [ 19.81 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]

PS: did I ever hit anyone?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:53 am  (#69) 
GimpChat Member

thanks
do I have to create one path on one layer and another one on another layer?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:21 am  (#70) 
GimpChat Member

maybe I understood: I have to operate only on the dockable dialogue, not on the path tool:
-create new path .....(make one triangle)
-create another new path .... (make another triangle)
-call your plug-in on one path choosing the second path as end path
correct?
i told you i'm a pre-beginner....!
thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:24 am  (#71) 
Script Coder

dinasset wrote:
maybe I understood: I have to operate only on the dockable dialogue, not on the path tool:
-create new path .....(make one triangle)
-create another new path .... (make another triangle)
-call your plug-in on one path choosing the second path as end path
correct?
i told you i'm a pre-beginner....!
thanks

Yes...

As to your other question: paths are not associated with layers, but with the image as a whole. They are some kind of virtual drawings. You transform them into real drawings by "stroking" them (see "Edit/stroke path") to the active layer (if you want many paths on the same layer, it can be useful to merge them first and stroke the result).

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:30 am  (#72) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks a lot, also for the explanations.
Maybe some other real beginner will take advantage of our chatting (all other people around here seem so far to be more experts on paths, but there are newcomers...)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:25 am  (#73) 
Script Coder

dinasset wrote:
Thanks a lot, also for the explanations.
Maybe some other real beginner will take advantage of our chatting (all other people around here seem so far to be more experts on paths, but there are newcomers...)

http://gimp-path-tools.sourceforge.net/paths-faq.shtml

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:12 pm  (#74) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
dinasset wrote:
@Ofnuts
So, these are my steps:
2 - new image
3 - path tool
4 - 1, 2, 3 points
help please....

The script creates intermediate paths between two paths, not intermediate strokes between strokes in the same path (if you want everything in the same path afterwards you can "merge visible paths"). So you need to have two paths: one for the outer triangle, one for the inner one. Then right click on one of the two paths, start the plugin, and in the "end path" specify the other path...

Attachment:
The attachment Triangles.png is no longer available

PS: did I ever hit anyone?

Your gift is still an inspiration ofnuts. Attached the exported SVG since it's small enough. Used your motif for this one; simply had to stroke the path and thend dup stroke with solid line and blur heavily for the shading (and may have did some G'MICy things with the shading result, but top secret stuff (i.e., again, too lazy to share; lol). :)

Attachments:
sample.7z [8.73 KiB]
Downloaded 99 times

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:18 pm  (#75) 
Script Coder

I'm the humble chisel maker, and you are the Rodins...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:21 pm  (#76) 
GimpChat Member

Without the chisel and the chisel maker, there would be no Rodin Ofnuts. Again, this is an extremely fun python plugin you made. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:32 am  (#77) 
GimpChat Member

It does amazing 3D work quickly.It's fun to watch the paths grow right before your eyes into a 3D image. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:05 am  (#78) 
GimpChat Member

You are so right Rod. :)

Attachments:
star.7z [28.98 KiB]
Downloaded 99 times

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:57 am  (#79) 
Script Coder

Upgraded stroke-visible-paths, to add support for gradients so that paths are stroked with colors from the gradient:

Attachment:
IntermediatePathsWithGradients.png
IntermediatePathsWithGradients.png [ 104.64 KiB | Viewed 1741 times ]

Above: gradient was opaque red to transparent blue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:15 pm  (#80) 
GimpChat Member

Excellent addition to the script ofnuts. Thank you. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next