It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Python-Fu Question (gimp-image-insert-layer)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:06 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi, I am experimenting with Gimp scripting. I am testing to see how various procedures in the PDB work, using the Python-Fu console (with the goal of writing some simple scripts in python).

I am encountering a problem with "gimp-image-insert-layer" when I run the following code in the Python-Fu console:

w = 3648
h = 2736
new_image = gimp.gdb.gimp_image_new(w, h, 0) #returns an IMAGE type
new_layer = gimp.gdb.gimp_layer_new(new_image, w, h, 0, "layer 1", 100, 0) #returns a LAYER type
gimp.gdb.gimp_image_insert_layer(new_image, new_layer, 0, -1)

When I run enter the last line (the call to "gimp_image_insert_layer"), I get the following error message:

Quote:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: wrong parameter type

I also tried setting the position of the new layer to "0", but I get the same error:

w = 3648
h = 2736
new_image = gimp.gdb.gimp_image_new(w, h, 0)
new_layer = gimp.gdb.gimp_layer_new(new_image, w, h, 0, "layer 1", 100, 0)
gimp.gdb.gimp_image_insert_layer(new_image, new_layer, 0, 0)

A couple of years ago, when I was playing around with Gimp 2.6 and python scripting, I was going thru a similar exercise using "gimp_image_add_layer" I did not have any problem (but "gimp_image_add_layer" has been depreciated and is not recognized by Gimp 2.8). The main difference in calling "gimp_image_insert_layer" or "gimp_image_add_layer" is the former has an extra parameter "parent layer". But my images is new and has no layers, parent or otherwise. The info in the PDB Browers suggests that "parent layer" relates to "layer groups", and if you do not have a group, or if the inserted layer is not part of a group, then "0" should be entered for that parameter (0=None).

I am pretty sure my types are okay, "gimp_image_insert_layer" requires 4 parameters: image (an IMAGE type), layer (a LAYER type), parent payer (a LAYER type) and position (INT32).

I have tried to find an answer on web, but cannot seem to find anything addressing why I am getting this error. I am sure I must be missing something obvious. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Python-Fu Question (gimp-image-insert-layer) [SOLVED]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:44 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I got this code to do what I intended.

I had been trying to solve this for a few hours. Most (if not all) of the stuff I found in the internet with coding examples using "gimp-image-insert-layer" were Script-Fu, and for situations where there was no "parent layer" a "0" was entered as the parameter for "parent layer." After I made the above post, I ran the code again, but used "None" rather than "0" for "parent layer," and it worked! I thought that I had tried "None" late last night but with no success - I must have been mistaken.

I wonder if the "None" vs. "0" distinction is a python thing?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:07 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

gatoruss wrote:
I got this code to do what I intended.

I had been trying to solve this for a few hours. Most (if not all) of the stuff I found in the internet with coding examples using "gimp-image-insert-layer" were Script-Fu, and for situations where there was no "parent layer" a "0" was entered as the parameter for "parent layer." After I made the above post, I ran the code again, but used "None" rather than "0" for "parent layer," and it worked! I thought that I had tried "None" late last night but with no success - I must have been mistaken.

I wonder if the "None" vs. "0" distinction is a python thing?

It is consistent with the fact that in Python, the API doesn't take numeric object ids but objects references. In other words, it should be either:
gimp.gdb.gimp_image_insert_layer(new_image, new_layer, None, 0)

or
gimp.gdb.gimp_image_insert_layer(5, 12, 0, 0)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:44 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
It is consistent with the fact that in Python, the API doesn't take numeric object ids but objects references. In other words, it should be either:
gimp.gdb.gimp_image_insert_layer(new_image, new_layer, None, 0)

or

Thank you. I am not exactly sure what that means (yet)...when it comes to python or any programming or scripting language, "newbie" would greatly overstate my competence ;)

Question, though, i am note sure where the "5" and "12" came from? Are they "plug values" you use to illustrate that use of the two differenct ways to write the code?

Post subject: Re: Python-Fu Question (gimp-image-insert-layer)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:28 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

To put in another way, the Scheme API takes zip codes, and the Python one takes city names :)

And yes, 5 and 12 are merely examples here...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:40 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
To put in another way, the Scheme API takes zip codes, and the Python one takes city names :)

Love the analogy! :jumpclap

Isn't your second alternative like a "zip code"?

Sorry to be obtuse.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:01 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

Yes... the second alternative is what the code would look like if the Python API used the zip codes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:37 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Yes... the second alternative is what the code would look like if the Python API used the zip codes.

So, the second alternative would not work in the Python API, since the Python API is expecting "city names" and not "zip codes," correct?

I appreciate your patience. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:08 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks ofnuts. I just used the numerical value to edit some C code and it solved a plugin error message in Gimp 2.9.
(there is a plugin written in C) :clap